Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fentini

The Most Overated Player On The Planet Ever

443 posts in this topic

Maradona is the most overrated player to ever play the game. He didn't even score his "greatest goal." It was an own goal accidentally put in by the defender.

Nonsense. No British player could have done that run, and Maradonna was better than any playerpost '86, that's for sure. If it wasn't for him, Argentina would have gone out in the group stages. And you can harp on about any Brazilian you want to until you are yellow and blue in the face!

My most overrated players ever are (in no particular order)

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - What's all the fuss about him?

Francesco Totti - See Ibrahimovic

Rivaldo - Cheating barsteward, for me didn't get nearly enough stick for his antics in the 2002 World Cup

David Beckham - Can't run, can't go past players, only scores jammy free kicks and pouts when things aren't going his way

Carles Puyol - Couldn't defend a sandcastle

Bryan Robson - A headless chicken masquerading as a world class player, and a dirty sod as well. And sod his passion!

Chris Waddle - Always bottled it on the big occasion

Steven Gerrard - Where was he in last year's CL final? Or where were his so-called leadership qualities for England against Croatia.

Davor Suker - Divor Suker more like. He used to practice his dives in the swimming pool

Chris Woods - A plank (if you pardon the pun)

Juan Sebastian Veron - The biggest Grand Larceny in English football

Terry Butcher - A stupid great lump who was slower than a funeral, once again "passion" was his strength. Not fit to lick JT's boots. Honestly, I've seen milk turn quicker than Terry Butcher!

Ronaldinho - Should go back to being the face of Robertson's jam! And get a decent dentist! His form since the last World Cup has been piss poor

Andy Cole - Needs 6 chances before finally scoring, and a sulky, morose, arrogant sod as well. Perhaps that comes with playing for Man U!

I could go on, but I'll stop there for now.

I could go on, but I'll stop there for now.

Let 'em feelings out! Don't store them. :)

I'd be tempted to say Ibrahimovic as well but to be fair to him, I've only see him play poor games, whenever I've seen Inter play. The only good thing I've seen him do was that backheel goal against Italy in Euro 2004. I'd need to see more of him to actually call him over-rated.

Another vote for Ibrahimovic from me, and Veron. I really don't want to say Gerrard, but I can't help myself, and I really struggle to see what the fuss is about sometimes.

Whenever I think of Steve Gerrard I think of sliding two-footed tackles. Don't know why, but that's all I ever see.

Steven Gerrard, I think Toby Brown touched on it perfectly.

Whenever I think of Steve Gerrard I think of sliding two-footed tackles. Don't know why, but that's all I ever see.

Yeah, also I still remember that stupid tackle/kick he did on Greame Le Saux on the last game of the season in 2003, the one when he got sent off.

Ibrahimovic. Ibracadabra my arse.

Ronaldo is more a winger than Cole could ever hope to be.

Define winger then. Ronaldo has mostly been a forward, not a winger, for 2 seasons now, his correct position. Joe continues to look his best out wide.

Pele

Never played outside his comfort zone. In the world cup always played in a great team, 1000 goals my big hairy backside.

Sits back and grins.

Fat Bloke nice one . Nearly went for the bait

CRISTIANO RONALDO is the most overrated player in the world.

All he does is stupid little tricks and gets nothing from them. Joe Cole now there's a propper winger

You must be on drugs.

CRISTIANO RONALDO is the most overrated player in the world.

All he does is stupid little tricks and gets nothing from them. Joe Cole now there's a propper winger

Are you watching highlights from his first season or something, because C.Ronaldo is not the most overrated player in the world, but probably the best player in the world actually. Joe Cole has never been a 'proper' winger, and will never be.

Okay. This is plain wrong, however I do feel Ronaldo is overrated. My theory is that he never does anything in the big games. It may be wrong, but I'd like to see some statistics. Remarkable achievement to get 30 goals from the wing, but how many of those have been in important matches? I've certainly never seen him do much against Chelsea.

I used to think the same as you, about the big games. But in terms of the league, he's scored 22 goals, played about 30 matches. I don't know any stats, but I'd reckon that quite a lot of those goals have been very important. The Derby game wasn't what you'd call a 'big' game, but it was certainly an important one, and he came out with the goods, and he's done that throughout the season, when they've needed him most. He's still so young as well. One of these days he'll put in a few good performances against a 'big' team, and he'll be sorted! The poor guy is now in the same boots as Lampard though. He'll always be judged on his goals. He'll be expected to weigh in with 20 goals a season minimum.

My most overrated players ever are

Francesco Totti

Rivaldo - Cheating barsteward, for me didn't get nearly enough stick for his antics in the 2002 World Cup

Ronaldinho - Should go back to being the face of Robertson's jam! And get a decent dentist! His form since the last World Cup has been piss poor

A good list, which I agree with in most parts, apart from the above 3.

Totti - Class act. I watch a lot of Serie A football, and this guy is magnificent for Roma. A lot of people will just go an base their opinions on him from the few games they've seen of him I.e. the games against Man Utd. Slightly overrated, yes, one of the most overated players in the world, not a chance!

Rivaldo - Cheating b*****d, agreed! Overrated? Because he cheated, doesn't make him overrated. Don't have to go into this one. But I will.

508 career league appearances, 242 goals.

74 caps, 35 International goals.

He won everything you can in the game.

World Cup, Champions League, too many domestic honours to mention.

Ballon D'or and Fifa World Player of the Year 1999.

This is a player that was on par with Zidane and Figo in their prime. One of the greatest, I'd say.

Have a little look at this for more info!

Ronaldinho - Yet to make the impact everyone expected, leading Brazil to glory on all fronts I think it was? Another player that has won everything in the game though, so I wouldn't say most overrated player, if you've won everything there is to be won, you can't be that overrated for me. Bad run of form for a while now, but he'll find it again. I think Rijkaard is right, he'll become the best player on the planet again sometime soon.