• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue Maverick

The Indian Premier League: T20

So much awaited IPL has begun. Matches are really getting entertaining. In first match itself McCullum hit 154 of 73 balls. Yesterday Hussey got the the century as well. Even though its media/money gimmick its pulling crowds like anything. Just now Kolkata team is fighting at Eden Gardens and 90000 spectators are watching game over there. And many more millions in India itself.

So anyone watching the games of IPL?

Bit of a disaster for our county game, which I follow closely. (Worcestershire fan)

County players don't get paid a lot - and the prospect of playing in a warm country with sell out crowds for so much more money means soon loads of players will start flocking over. Not good.

Just now Kolkata team is fighting at Eden Gardens and 90000 spectators are watching game over there.

Wow that is awesome. I hate seeing any matches in any sport where there are empty seats. Robs the excitement from the occasion.

I used to say football and cricket were opposites in terms of international matches. In cricket internationals were more important, the opposite of football, but it looks like club Cricket is where it is at now.

First of all the players were saying the ECB weren't letting them play in it but now the ECB say they are allowed. There is one English player; Dimitri Mascarenhas.

Karan   
Just now Kolkata team is fighting at Eden Gardens and 90000 spectators are watching game over there. And many more millions in India itself.

BTW, one of the Floodlights has just gone off. Right in the midst on a tight contest. If the game's called off now its a tie on the D/L method. Disgraceful cricket pitch though.

Official count says 70000 or so, but I'd reckon its always more than that. Commendable given the stifling heat and humidity. The max the Gardens have held is a 120,000.

Alot of the games should sell out, although it'll depend on the starting times for each match. The evening matches will always have more of an attendance than the ones held in the afternoon.

Bit of a disaster for our county game, which I follow closely. (Worcestershire fan)

County players don't get paid a lot - and the prospect of playing in a warm country with sell out crowds for so much more money means soon loads of players will start flocking over. Not good.

Actually money rules everywhere. Thats why we see so many non English players in EPL. Same is now happening in India.

Wow that is awesome. I hate seeing any matches in any sport where there are empty seats. Robs the excitement from the occasion.

I used to say football and cricket were opposites in terms of international matches. In cricket internationals were more important, the opposite of football, but it looks like club Cricket is where it is at now.

First of all the players were saying the ECB weren't letting them play in it but now the ECB say they are allowed. There is one English player; Dimitri Mascarenhas.

Frankly speaking I would love to see Freddy Flintoff, Harmison, Kevin P and the one bowler who was spanked by Yuvraj for 6 sixes (I dont remember the name) in IPL.

BTW, one of the Floodlights has just gone off. Right in the midst on a tight contest. If the game's called off now its a tie on the D/L method. Disgraceful cricket pitch though.

Official count says 70000 or so, but I'd reckon its always more than that. Commendable given the stifling heat and humidity. The max the Gardens have held is a 120,000.

Alot of the games should sell out, although it'll depend on the starting times for each match. The evening matches will always have more of an attendance than the ones held in the afternoon.

Karan, you might be knowing crowds numbers are always higher at Indian grounds than that of official numbers. Since none of the Indian grounds are all seater's. So I'm sure few more thousands might be there than official number. Kolkata is cricket crazy like Newcastle is in football in England. I dont why they have kept one stand completely empty. Do you know any reasons? My guess is security. But there insome clause when matches were played at Eden Gardens (in CAB's book of laws) that all the members of CAB should be given free tickets. I guess KRs' were not ready (I had read it in Times of India). That might be the reason too.

BTW tickets are bloody expensive. In Mumbai minimum ticket price is Rs. 250. That too you get the view across the pitch view. Rest other stands are atleast Rs.500.

Did the CEO's of EPL meet with Lalit "money" Modi?

I'm very against the IPL but I noticed Brendon McCullum's massive score. Must have been great to watch!

Me too. But its not in our hands. Every sport is getting commercialized. But I also think lets have fun.