• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wacko

The Tour De France

wacko   

"The hardest race on earth" has begun again.

Doped up to the eyeballs or not, the riders'll be putting themselves through three weeks of hell, covering over 2000 miles at a likely average speed of 24mph (40kph). No mean feat, considering they'll ride through both the Alps and the Pyrenees.

There's a full list of stages here.

And the official site's here.

The first week will, as usual, be pretty flat (by TdF standards), including a rather short individual time trial on Tuesday, 8th. Next Sunday will see the Tour hit the Pyrenees, and the third week marks the start of the Alps.

I'm not up to speed on the riders in this year's peloton, so who should I keep an eye out for in the race for the jerseys?

Ah,a kindred spirit.Love this time of year.Can't remember the last time I missed the tour on tv.As a keen cyclist myself,I have a small idea as to the amount of pain they go through.

Pick a Fantasy Team on Eurosport,and got the winner today.Downhill from now on I'm afraid.

QueSera   

Used to absolutely love 'Le Tour' and the great coverage on 4 / EuroSport etc. Although I'll try and watch (I've set the Sky+ in case I miss something), the doping scandals over the last couple of years and (to me) the absence of the big names, has taken much of the interest away.

wacko   
Ah,a kindred spirit.Love this time of year.Can't remember the last time I missed the tour on tv.As a keen cyclist myself,I have a small idea as to the amount of pain they go through.

Pick a Fantasy Team on Eurosport,and got the winner today.Downhill from now on I'm afraid.

Exactly. The thought of riding up Alpe d'Huez...

Another Tour de "who-dopes-best". Sigh. Yawn.

When Landis pulled off that mad breakaway the day after bonking on the mountain in 2006 was when it lost a lot of its magic for me. That's just not possible. Unless you're Eddy Merckx, of course.

hamish   

Cadel Evans is in with a chance I believe. I'm going for all the Australians.

I'm a big fan of Le Tour and cycling in general. My money is on Alejandro Valverde.

wacko   

The English are absolutely appalling at road racing. There have been some decent Scottish and Irish riders, and Nicole Cooke from Wales is one of the best cyclists in the world at the moment.

English are rubbish on the road, though.

Mark Cavendish is british and was great yesterday.

But I have to agree with you, there are only David Millar and Cavendish on the peloton.

The stage today was great, Ricco is in a very good form, Kirchen earns the yellow jersey, I'm happy cause I'm fan of him!

My money is on Evans, he's the most regular for me.