• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wacko

The Tour De France

OzzyCFC   

Evans will win, he's in such good form. Mountain Bike World Champ to Tour de France champ.

I have to admit, despite my initial prediction of Valverde, Evans is looking strong now, and seems to be turning the screw on the rest of the peloton.

To win the tour,a rider needs a good team round him,you can't do it alone. The big decider,the part which seperates the contenders,are the MOUNTAINS.

Oh,and if you can get through a stage without coming a cropper.So many potential winners have pulled out after a crash which wasn't their fault.This is probably the most open tour for nearly 20 years.

This is probably the most open tour for nearly 20 years.

Mainly because all the decent riders have been disqualified.

I wish I could get excited about it because I admire what the sport is supposed to be very much. But it's difficult for me to believe anybody in that sport is clean. I feel the same way about world class sprinters and weight lifters. The drug use is apparently so prevalent in the sport how can anybody be clean and compete?

I believe in "innocent until proven guilty" but I'm afraid whenever I see a world record fall in the 100 meters or I see somebody put in a stellar performance in the TDF, I form a presumption the athlete is doped and I don't know how the presumption could be reubtted in my mind anymore. I know Tyson Gay is volunteering to be tested every day between now and the Olympics and has challenged reporters to follow him around everywhere he goes during the Games. But so what? Who knows what clever means there now are to introduce the chemical difference between a winning time and dead last.

Take Lance Armstrong for example. I want desperately to believe he was clean because his story is one of the great ones ever in sporting history. I see the argument that after his near-death experience it's unlikely that he would he put his precious health in jeopardy with the kind of drug regime it would take to create the results he got. He never failed a properly sponsored and monitored drug test despite the many, many witchhunts against him, particularly in the French press (a Texan winning the TDF once, let alone multiple times is like a team of Frenchmen winning the SuperBowl). But experience shows that the only way an athlete fails a test these days is if they make a mistake with their masking regimen and the tests may not have even been looking for some of the the things he might have been on at the time.

...But experience shows that the only way an athlete fails a test these days is if they make a mistake with their masking regimen and the tests may not have even been looking for some of the the things he might have been on at the time.

With this sport in particular I fail to see the logic in the argument that you only fail a drugs test unless you've been lazy as there aren't many substances that give a rider the energy or whatever needed for the entire Tour which is why the limited amount of drugs that do work invariably are known and highly policed. Which is why we see riders being caught and disqualified every year because they can't resist the lure of a stage victory, as again invariably testing is done after every stage to the riders who finish ahead of the peloton and such tests are rarely found to be guilty before or at the start rather after a specific stage, for example the American Floyd Landis 2 years ago after a stage victory the day after he was extremely leg weary and performed poorly and similarly, last year with Alexandre Vinokorov guilty of blood spining after a significant stage victory. The cheaters will get caught and I don't think anybody who knows the sport doesn't want to see the sport becasue they feel someone will win while drug taking and geting away with it (like Athletics), rather that every year you can support someone and in the back of your mind feel that later on they might be found to have taken drugs and the spectacle being ruined by feeling that every year someone will be found guilty of cheating (which it seems has already happened this year there jsut waiting for his B sample.)

Also the constant sniping at Armstrong from people for his amazing acts is pretty pathetic now as he regualry asked for extra tests and illegaly the French doping system kept his past urine samples so they could hopefully catch him when a new unknown substance comes to light and find he had it in his system. As we know the French can't take people being better at them at many things let alone their own prestigious competition being won by an American more times then French people combined!

(Rant Over :D)

The one thing that surprises me, is that, in cycling, drug taking is seen to be the norm, as it is in athletics(well, certain events anyway). But, in cycling, once the perpetrator has done his time, he is still able to compete, but a certain British athlete is not.

It seems strange that drug taking is acceptable in some sports and not others. Ok, so taking drugs IS cheating, because you are looking to take advantage of your fellow competitors. I just find it rather odd that there isn't one rule for any athlete, no matter what the sport is, that being, if you are caught, you are banned, period.

That said, I still love Le Tour.

Evans in yellow now by one second, I can see him piling the pressure on from here on in.

Hugo10   

Victory for Sastre. I'm glad for him. He's been working pretty hard for many years to get this.

Next year the victory will probably be for Contador, who is the best in the business. I hope also a gold in the olympics. Let's see.

Great tour this year.Got the usual drugs scandle,but it goes with the sport sadly.Still,the powers that be seem to be trying to clean the sport up.