• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wacko

The Tour De France

Great tour this year.Got the usual drugs scandle,but it goes with the sport sadly.Still,the powers that be seem to be trying to clean the sport up.

I didn't watch it for once. I'm sick of all the scandal, and since Vino got disqualified I haven't had the same passion for the sport. I'll join in next year, if there's any riders left.

Hugo10   
Great tour this year.Got the usual drugs scandle,but it goes with the sport sadly.Still,the powers that be seem to be trying to clean the sport up.

It's for me almost impossible to believe that cyclism is the dirty sport. Cyclism move a tiny fraction of money compared with football, basketball, tennis etc. I think cyclists are used as scapegoats and there is more drugs in other sports.

CJ Ross   
It's for me almost impossible to believe that cyclism is the dirty sport. Cyclism move a tiny fraction of money compared with football, basketball, tennis etc. I think cyclists are used as scapegoats and there is more drugs in other sports.

I agree. There's plenty that goes on in football that can't get reported, as you say the money alone makes it a prime target. The whole calciopoli business in Serie A resulted from wire taps resulting from doping, not gambling.

Narcotic use must be much higher among footballers than is reported. It's a slightly different thing, as there are very few recreational drugs that will actually enhance a player's ability. But these fellas have so much money and so much spare time (and, often, so few brain cells). My mates and I often wonder if a player who is continually out injured is actually injured, or whether they're avoiding urine tests and getting clean.

I really hope this years Tour was clean(er). After last year's debacle, I thought I'd be put off for good. But I love the event and was suckered in. yet again.

I rarely watch every stage. The sprints really don't hold much interest for me. But the mountains are brilliant. The drama and the physical effort which riders put in to the Alps and Pyranees is phenomenal. I love everything about the mountain stages from the actual race to the amazing views.

It does seem strange,that because the cycling authorities are very much pro media,with their effort to weed-out(excuse the pun)any drug takers with-in the sport,the general public assumes that all cyclist are dirty.Where as,in other sports,the governing body,tries to sweep any scandle under the carpet,away from media attention.

Well,it's nearly that time of year again.More scandal,protests by the French Farmers,drug cheats,teams withdrawing.The French Cycling Authorities showing total disrespect for any rider that wins a stage who is not from France.

The reason that I'm posting this now,is that the French are still determined to heep shame on Lance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/apr/1...r-de-france-ban

Well,it's nearly that time of year again.More scandal,protests by the French Farmers,drug cheats,teams withdrawing.The French Cycling Authorities showing total disrespect for any rider that wins a stage who is not from France.

The reason that I'm posting this now,is that the French are still determined to heep shame on Lance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/apr/1...r-de-france-ban

I'm afraid this historic event -- previously one of the greatest in world sports -- is difficult to take seriously anymore for at least two reasons. First, actual, proven, confessed doping by such a high percentage of riders and the annual scandals takes a natural toll on the sports' legitimacy (see also sprinting, weightlifting, etc.). Second, the near-hysterical manner in which some portions of the French media and sporting establishment continue to pursue their vendetta against Armstrong, one of -- if not the greatest champion in the history of their event -- is deeply distasteful. He has tested negative and/or been cleared in every single investigation they have thrown at him. They are simply never going to allow themselves to believe that his accomplishments are not tainted because he's not French. Indeed, he's the worst sort of "non-Frenchman" of all --- a Texan...

Another Tour de "who-dopes-best". Sigh. Yawn.

At least they seem to be going towards the direction of better testing and a somewhat cleaner race

It will take a few years though, imo, to get that feeling off the tour worldwide

At least they seem to be going towards the direction of better testing and a somewhat cleaner race

It will take a few years though, imo, to get that feeling off the tour worldwide

Absolutely. The Giro (imo)shows how clean cycling now is. For Wiggins to be in contention in a mountain stage and finishing so high in a crucial TT says it all for me. The Giro itself was contested right till the last mountain stage with know one rider dominating the climbs.

For LA to be 15 mins off the pace is extraordinary,shows what an athelete he is after being away so long.

All in all I can't wait for Le Tour10 its got the makings of a classic!

Mark does it again.Great team display to get him there.And what a break today,took everyone by surprise.Astana have the sort of trouble that could split the team,which will happen in the mountains.The stronger rider getting the backing of the manager,which will be Lance(crashes permitting).

The TTT tomorrow should mix things up again,where you have a contender for the Yellow Jersey,stuck in a weaker team.