• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wacko

The Tour De France

A great ride by the Astana team today,but the team have dilemma as to who gets the nod for help with the mountain stages fast approaching?Who will be concidered the team leader now?Lance can,and has done it by himself in the past.But he will need help during some stages,when the attacks come thick and fast.

Menchov crashed early,and now faces a real struggle to maintain any chance of winning this year.Cavendish had a good ride too.

Cancellara stays in yellow,for the time being.

Tomorrows stage will suit the sprinters,but some may be suffering after the TTT today.It's all well and good being quick when by yourself,but a TTT really puts the slower riders through the grinder,and even the best sprinters will suffer.Any of you who have been on a chaingang will know how much faster it is,and pain you go through,because it is that much quicker.

Team Columbia will want to keep Mark in the Green Jersey and will push the pace.So if any rider wanting the leaders Jersey in the mountains,will have to keep an eye open for any breaks tomorrow.Time lost on the flat,is harder to claw back on the slopes.Especially if the team have suffered over the previous few days.

Potential winners will need to be on their guard,but it will be a fine line between staying in contention,and burning out the team before the mountains.Should be another win for Mark tomorrow,but expect Hushovd to be biting his ankles for a close victory.

Contador may have upset his team-mates by breaking team orders a few days ago.He broke away on a climb,to stamp his authority on the team,as he is the leader.

But you make an enemy of Lance at your peril.And with Leipheimer as a team-mate and fellow American,Contador could find himself very lonely on the slopes in The Alps.

Bradley Wiggins is going great guns.Good old boy.Who would have thought,a Brit that doesn't crash out of the Tour.

Go Lance.

Contador may have upset his team-mates by breaking team orders a few days ago.He broke away on a climb,to stamp his authority on the team,as he is the leader.

But you make an enemy of Lance at your peril.And with Leipheimer as a team-mate and fellow American,Contador could find himself very lonely on the slopes in The Alps.

Bradley Wiggins is going great guns.Good old boy.Who would have thought,a Brit that doesn't crash out of the Tour.

Go Lance.

What do people think? You could certainly make the argument that Lance can't be clean given his performance at the highest level after a long layoff. On the other hand, I think his performance so far is further proof he is now and always was clean. The way he is being watched this time around there is no way he could be doing anything -- barring something modern testing can't detect (which I don't discount as a possibility -- see my cynical emails above). I guess he may just be an animal -- created by god with the perfect body and mind to be a great cyclist. Inspiring if true.

Appears those close to him agree with you -- it is thought the betrayal will give him focus.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31867134/ns/...tour_de_france/

Fascinating article about the doping culture among European cyclists and how the tour has never, contrary to the comments of some alleged purists, been free of cheating. If the description is true, it makes the French witch hunt for Armstrong all the more hypocritcal. The right kind of European rider gets a "gallic shrug" but Armstrong is pursued like a criminal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...tml?eref=sihpT1

Fascinating article about the doping culture among European cyclists and how the tour has never, contrary to the comments of some alleged purists, been free of cheating. If the description is true, it makes the French witch hunt for Armstrong all the more hypocritcal. The right kind of European rider gets a "gallic shrug" but Armstrong is pursued like a criminal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...tml?eref=sihpT1

Erm?..can't really argue. TBH I feel that this years tour is the cleanest for years. Wiggins on dope? a 38yr old LA able to keep up with a dirty peloton with riders 10yrs younger?

IF the US riders wont help Contador they'll be plenty of spanish climbers who will, so not an issue for me.

My biggest disappointment is the route. Tourmalet HC climb with a 70km dissent???

And as for a TT so early??

Roll on the Alps

Appears those close to him agree with you -- it is thought the betrayal will give him focus.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31867134/ns/...tour_de_france/

Betrayal? I applaud Contador for doing that. He didn't ask for this Lance cirkus, and I'm glad to see that he is not sitting back, waiting to get marginalised by his own team.

.The stronger rider getting the backing of the manager,which will be Lance(crashes permitting).

Contador is the stronger rider, he has shown that by his impressive performances this year. But still, taking into account Armstrong's strong connections in the team, Contador still might not get the backing. Thats why I understand Contador and his actions so far in the tour.

The complexities of The Tour is huge.Team-mates,past and present,nationals,friendships.The Spanish speakers against the English speakers?That's a new one.The Tour route this year,is a bit sterile,allowing for a closer race.As for the 2 stages without the use of ear-pieces,that's another arguement.

Lance will always have a circus with him,but he's hardly come back as a token gesture.He's here to win.One things for sure,it will be an interesting race in the Alps.

Wiggins,well done for keeping in there.

Lance,please break Contador,just like you did to Ullrich.

The complexities of The Tour is huge.Team-mates,past and present,nationals,friendships.The Spanish speakers against the English speakers?That's a new one.The Tour route this year,is a bit sterile,allowing for a closer race.As for the 2 stages without the use of ear-pieces,that's another arguement.

Lance,please break Contador,just like you did to Ullrich.

Contador reckons Valverde will help him in the alps as a favour for work done in the Giro. The Times I think?

Dont get me wrong I'm a LA supporter, but for me the smile that AC gave the camera on the way to the summit of Andorra was that of a man who KNEW he had the beating of lance. We shall see come sunday!