• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Huggett

Video Games You Grew Up On

I had a number of games that brought me up through my childhood. On the Sega Mega Drive, there was Mortal Kombat, Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe (See here for new Golden Axe) and Shinobi. Road Rash 1,2 and 3. Skitchin' (what a game!!)

On the SNES, every Super Mario game under the sun, Street Fighter all the way to Street Fighter 2 Turbo and on from that. Star Fox and Earthworm Jim!

On PC, I fell in love with Monkey Island, and still play it to this day. Doom, Duke Nukem and Lands of Lore.

Chucky egg on the Sinclair spectrum. Pacman and Brick in the pub. Pinball and table football at University.

And I have just seen a Video game machine while on holdiay that allows you to chose your favourite old game from the 1980s.

Galaxian!!!!

Hmm... My first real video game memory was on the N64, Pokemon battle arena or something like that...

Basically all the Pokemon games I enjoyed, after that, it's just PES really.

Maybe you should ask me about the video games I am growing up on.

Final Fantasy was the series of my childhood. The best games ever made!

I started with Final Fantasy VIII (still the best one imo), then VII, IX and X. I went back and played FF VI after all those, as well as X-2 and the recent FF XII.

Other childhood favourites included FIFA 98: RTWC, Medieval, Brian Lara Cricket, Championship Manager, Tekken, Jonah Lomu Rugby, Grandia etc etc.

I used to play on my uncle's old Amiga machine too. I remember playing a game called 'Barbarian: the Ultimate Warrior,' a beat-em-up where you could chop off their heads and a little green chap would drag their corpse off. I thought it was the coolest thing EVER! Other games on there were Gauntlet, Blood Money and countless other games I can't remember the name of. I think it was an Amiga anyway. We always called it the 'Atari' but when I look for the games online they are Amiga games. It was almost like a computer but we used joysticks. Anyone?

I resisted the Pokemon craze so I didn't play them myself but whenever I was in a mate's house I had to observe them drooling over a Lv 68 Weepingbell.

My best mate had a N64 and a SNES so we played Goldeneye, Earthworm Jim, Banjo Kazooie, Mario Cart, a Star Wars game I can't remember the name of, Zelda and countless others all day.

Kevin Toms football manager on the ZX81 and then (remember those fab graphics, with the goals around 50 times the size of the players) on the spectrum.

Match Day on the Speccy.

A weird platform game with a caveman on the BBC Micro - "Frak!" (says google)

Jeff Minter's Llamasoft offerings.

CJ Ross   
Manic Miner on the Spectrum was great

Having spent hour after hour, I must have got at least to the fourth screen. They don't make games that hard any more.

The Horace series was pretty popular, too.

We spent a majority of our computer studies lessons on BBC Micros. I learnt nothing, which was dumb on my part, but I did play a lot of Pole Position and Chuck E Egg.