• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

lzheyi   

We definitely need a bigger stadium very soon. I don't care old or new one as long as we can increased our revenue.

Otherwise we won't be able to compete against the big boys in due course.

FFP is created to protect the elite, I.e. the clubs with big revenue so that they can continue to spend!

well my humble view anyway....

I would hesitate to cite last year's Europa League run as an excuse for reduced revenue - it was still very high by other clubs' standards. In the Champions League, only four clubs (Bayern, Dortmund, Juventus and AC Milan) received more.

To make things a little more explicit...

(Exchange rate used: €1 = £0.83)

In 2011-12 Chelsea received €59,935,000 from the Champions League, or £49,746,050.

In 2012-13 Chelsea received €30,777,000 from the Champions League, plus an additional €10,704,878 from the Europa League, totaling €41,481,878 or £34,429,959.

The fall in revenue between these two seasons was therefore €18,453,122 or £15,316,091. To put it another way, it accounts for roughly 30% of our losses last year.

Now obviously, the 2011-12 season took us all the way to the final and is therefore an abnormally high figure that we're unlikely to replicate. Last season, the gap between merely reaching the Round of 16 and winning the trophy (I.e. Bayern) was one of €19,300,000 or £16,019,000.

Looking to the future, the 2013-14 UCL revenue total is very similar to that last year (a total pot of €909m as opposed to €904m) so is likely to be split in similar fashion. Therefore, aside from perhaps an extra smidge in performance bonus (for getting 12pts rather than 10pts), our Group Stage income is likely to be very similar to last year's, and the Market Pool segment (our proportion of TV revenue split between English clubs) shouldn't be too different either. Since we've already qualified for the Round of 16, that means we should have roughly €34 million in the bag thus far.

We would need to reach the Semi Finals to surpass last year's TV revenue (taking c.€3,900,000 from the Quarter Finals and €4,900,000 from the Semis), so I don't think anyone should view last year's European income as "low" by any stretch of the imagination.

Sources (so that I don't have to dig them out through Google again :p):

2011-12 Champions League revenue distribution: http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/84/05/87/1840587_DOWNLOAD.pdf

2012-13 Champions League revenue distribution: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/97/52/97/1975297_DOWNLOAD.pdf

2012-13 Europa League revenue distribution: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/97/53/15/1975315_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Article noting size of 2013-14 Champions League revenue pot: http://www.uefa.org/management/finance/news/newsid=1979893.html

*NOTE* These figures relate to prize/TV money only. It's quite possible that matchday income from Champions League knockout games is also greater than those of Europa League knockout games (despite there being more of the latter...) and therefore the bonus of being in the CL again this year may be more pronounced.

Edited by stokerino

Scooba   

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1690112/manchester-united-slip-deloitte-football-money-league-table-rich-list?cc=5739

man city has overtaken us....

how come they can overtake us in such a short time? forgive my ignorant.....

The money they receive is 90% from their owner and the fake sponsorship deals. That figure there for us is from fan revenue, competitions and sponsorships. It's not really comparable. We are a massively more lucrative club than citeh.

Yeah City's revenue is ludicrous. Nothing will be done though, just watch Barca get away with hiding Neymar's true transfer fee.

Yeah City's revenue is ludicrous. Nothing will be done though, just watch Barca get away with hiding Neymar's true transfer fee.

And PSG! Wtf!?!

lzheyi   

which is why I always think FFP is to help rich clubs get their positions consolidated.

I remembered now about the 400m man city received for so many years of sponsorships.

we do really need a bigger stadium don't we?

which is why I always think FFP is to help rich clubs get their positions consolidated.

I remembered now about the 400m man city received for so many years of sponsorships.

we do really need a bigger stadium don't we?

Protect the status quo - that was always known.

We also pretty well can tell that the policy of most clubs is to watch Citeh and see what happens to them.

Citeh might well bust open FFP (or at least clarify it as a fiction), in which case the clubs that would fail a year later can relax again.

lzheyi   

Protect the status quo - that was always known.

We also pretty well can tell that the policy of most clubs is to watch Citeh and see what happens to them.

Citeh might well bust open FFP (or at least clarify it as a fiction), in which case the clubs that would fail a year later can relax again.

Apart from our stadium, I think our commercial revenues have room to improve too.

Yes maybe we can learn from them by using roman's company to sponser for stadium naming rights to cheat!

lol