• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

Ove   

Yes, I have to agree, good post WashingtonBlue. Thanks for explaining the American system in such detail.

If there was a similar system in Europe for entry drafts where the least successful teams got the first picks, we'd never get to see the really great teams, like the present-day Barcelona, AC Milan and Chelsea. I tend to always support the underdog, but I think it's good for the game to have a few extremely well-playing and classy teams around.

aprevost   

Yes, good summary washington - I remember writing a similar explanation in another thread a few months back, but mine was much more long-winded and less concise.

As you say, in North America each "major league" is really run like one brand, with each team simply acting as the local franchise of the larger national business. Each team operates in its own local market exclusively, thus they don't really compete with each other for fans and money - the real competition, at least business-wise, is with the other sports (and other live entertainment options) in each local market. In European football the top clubs are much more independent entities competing with each other for fans and money on a national and international level.

The one other important difference I would point out is the fact there's no promotion and demotion in North American sports. So the worst/poorest teams continue to have to compete with the best/richest teams no matter how god-awful they are, they can't drop down to a lower division where they will be more competitive. And it also means once bottom teams have been eliminted from the playoffs, they have absolutely nothing left to play for, which leads to a lot more meaningless games at the end of the season that no fan really wants to watch. That makes enforcing parity at the top level, so that no team stays at the bottom for too long, much more important here.

There are other significant points to the American system:

1) The player Draft is only legal because it is part of a collective bargining agreement with the pro players unions in each sport. There is no Europe wide players union and I highly doubt that EU courts would sanction the restriction on workers rights that it would entail.

2) The drafts only work because Universities, Colleges and Schools act as nurseries, developing the talent free for the professional sports. In football, where players are attached to clubs from aged 8 onwards, and where clubs round the world themselves develop the talent, how could you institute a draft of minors? How would you force players to relocate countries and play for clubs they do not care for?

3) All the main sports bar baseball have a hard roster limit (baseball teams have minor league teams and acadamies in Latin America etc.); while this is possible to enforce for competitions e.g. ECL, how could the football authorities stop publicly traded corporations (teams) from hiring new employees (stockpiling talent)?

WPAULWIN   
quote:Originally posted by Grahame Fendle
quote:Originally posted by Portugeezer

... according to Alan Curbishley. He is complaining that predictability will kill football.

id="quote">

id="quote">Actually, it wasn't quite like that.

I heard the full interview, and Curbishley was asked a leading question and now the papers are full of it. In fact, the online version of this interview, both in text and audio doesn't have the original question - more a statement of fact - anywhere to be seen or heard.

The BBC has a lot to answer for, the decline in the quality of their journalism to the very depths the tabloids are prepared to plumb is tragic.

id="quote">

id="quote">

I think your right. Curbs mentioned that he couldn't match Chelsea financially... but he also mentioned (and implied he would try in the futrure) that Charlton couldn't (for the first time) compete physically for speed and strenght and also for team work and preparation. HE WASN'T WHINGING ABOUT SOMETHING HE COULD NOT CONTROL... but I'd guess the Charlton players will be getting extra fitness training and preparation. Curbs is not like Wenger or Fergie just having a moan and a sulk, he'll use Chelsea as a bench mark and try and raise HIS teams standards.

quote:Originally posted by iamchelseamad

Its a symptom of the deep set envy that eats like a maggot at the core of British society imo.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Sorry, I have to disagree. There is a maggot for the core of British Society; it's green and oozes in every direction associated with success

Kristina   
quote:Originally posted by basole

I wouldnt mind if football died as long as Chelsea is still alive.

id="quote">

id="quote">

basole, you want them to play alone? ;)

quote:Originally posted by WashingtonBlue

I have actually read a few articles in which there was some musing about some kind of American-style spending cap imposed by FIFA or the FA, but it would simply never work because the "big clubs" and, indeed, probably any club that thinks it is financial sound and on the verge of greatness, would probably never agree to it. Any serious actions in that direction by FIFA would simply hasten the departure of the G14 and a few other clubs (maybe us) into a multi-national super-league, which has been threatened in the past.

id="quote">

id="quote">

My thoughts exactly. OK, implement a maximum transfer fee, then what? Does that make the transfer system any fairer? Probably not, as the big clubs will offer a more generous signing-on fee.

So then FIFA bring forward legislation against that. Nah, ain't gonna happen - the words "breakaway league" will make sure it doesn't.