• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

To an extent, but where do you draw the line ?

I think you can draw it a lot further down than Turkish Airlines. They're one of Europe's largest airlines and they've had sponsorship dalliances with Messi, Kobe Bryant and Manchester United (unless I've imagined that awful advert). We're not taking about MJN Air here. Or some dodgy Manchester City setup.

I think you can draw it a lot further down than Turkish Airlines. They're one of Europe's largest airlines and they've had sponsorship dalliances with Messi, Kobe Bryant and Manchester United (unless I've imagined that awful advert). We're not taking about MJN Air here. Or some dodgy Manchester City setup.

This!

Bayern, for example, have a deal with the Telekom, and no one knows about the Telekom outside Germany, still they are doing very well for themselves.

I mean, if we were a TV channel, would we reject a client who wants to advertise with us for good money just because we don't know his brand? That doesn't seem right. It's really just about the money here.

Having said this, I read today that Turkish Airlines have removed the announcement from their feed...

Just as an aside, when I read the news yesterday and saw people complain about Turkish Airlines being too small, I tried to think of who the sponsors of other big clubs were, and literally only knew a few right away. Real? No idea. United? I thought it was still AIG. PSG? Nada. I knew Barca because it was announced like the resurrection of Jesus, Arsenal and that's it. Call me uneducated, but I really don't see why this should be of any relevance at all.

Edited by KingBlackFlag

Turkish Airlines are definitely a global brand. I know from an English perspective Turkish brands might still be looked down upon because we're not West European, North American or Far Eastern, but this is Europe's best national airline and fly to more destinations than any other airline.

The fact we've accepted it must surely mean Turkish Airlines are a big player. We're Chelsea. One of the biggest name's in World Football. If THY were not a global brand they wouldn't be on our shirts from next season.

I may be a tad biased as a Turk but I need to spread the word that brands from outside the established business world are worthy.

Remember when we first had Fly Emirates? Nobody had heard of them then. THY are bigger than Emirates were then.

At the risk of being political here, you're not even really Eastern European... only about 5% of Turkey's land mass is physically in Europe. It's one of many reasons why Turkey should not be allowed into the European Union and why I don't believe Turkey should be involved in UEFA (along with Israel, Russia, Kazakhstan etc).

As for Turkish Airlines themselves, it's true they are now one of the major carriers within Europe, but hardly the first choice of anyone who cares for their comfort and safety.

As for Emirates, I'd heard of them before they became our sponsors, but that's probably because I'm a seasoned traveller who has racked up well over 500 flights.

paulw66   

This is all getting a touch diverse, isn't it?

So long as the company on the front of shirts is reputable and pay us the £££, then who cares? I would understand the concerns if we were about to partner up with a company that was renowned for slave labour, or was hugely corrupt (imagine having FIFA on our shirts!) but as far as I am aware, West / Eastern European / American / African / Scottish, then what is the difference?

It is not like Samsung being our sponsors over Fly Emirates really changed anything for the supporters, did it?

At the risk of being political here, you're not even really Eastern European... only about 5% of Turkey's land mass is physically in Europe. It's one of many reasons why Turkey should not be allowed into the European Union and why I don't believe Turkey should be involved in UEFA (along with Israel, Russia, Kazakhstan etc).

As for Turkish Airlines themselves, it's true they are now one of the major carriers within Europe, but hardly the first choice of anyone who cares for their comfort and safety.

As for Emirates, I'd heard of them before they became our sponsors, but that's probably because I'm a seasoned traveller who has racked up well over 500 flights.

Oh there's been a misunderstanding. I didn't mean Turks were East European, but that the kind of sponsor people would normally accept come from West Europe, North America and the Far East (mainly Japan and South Korea). In other words big sponsors from those 3 regions are accepted, but a big sponsor outside there is met with scorn as we can see. (except for the Emirates and Qatar, but they're the exception to the rule).

The Turkey in or out of Europe is complicated, but for me personally we're not. Many Turks may be racially white and Secular (and plus many Turks have ancestors that used to live in Eastern Europe during our Empire), but we are an Asian people that speak an Asian language and that historically were seen as an enemy to Europe. And religion of course. Europe = Christianity, Turkey = Muslim.

However I must also add that despite only a small portion of our land being in Europe, that small part is as big or even bigger than some European countries, and population wise the European part of Turkey is more populous than many Europeans countries (15-20 million). It also has huge unbalanced influence on the rest of the country, the Asian majority of the country is very much ruled by the European part of Istanbul.

In terms of our UEFA membership I think that's a harsh comment. Football is huge in Turkey and without participating in UEFA we'd be absolutely shite. We may not be European, but we're close enough to be eligible for UEFA membership and we'll happily take that. Plus it makes matches so exciting. Whenever Turkey play against European teams a lot of historical Europe VS Turkey imagery is used, adding an extra edge to the games :). I'm sure this is the same for Europeans playing against Turkish teams as well.

Anyway I hope this discussion is allowed, as it's related to Turkish Airlines in some way :).

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

ish   

only issue is turkish airlines was voted best european airline and out of all the airlines I've flown it actually is one of the best. Its a newish player in the game, I think 10 years ago I would of said it was complete crap but in the last 3-4 years I can safely say I would choose it above many. The biggest issue with it is that inside europe its connecting flights are just crap, most of the major european cities are too far from istanbul so you end up having massive flights if your not coming from east to west or other way around. they try really hard with food and offer massive variety, the planes are pretty decent but not on par with the middle eastern airlines.

they are looking to grow their brand because currently they have a good service and I think what they want to do is grab some of the share from the middle eastern fliers which is a big call since they fly similar routes and have nearly the same stopover locations, only positive is you can actually plan a stopover in istanbul and spend a couple of days there. so for them being a shirt sponsor for a major name like chelsea is smart business. samsung doesnt need name recognition, more people know samsung in the world then they know chelsea now. this was different 10 years ago when samsung first became a chelsea sponsor and their most known products were tvs.

more people know samsung in the world then they know chelsea now. this was different 10 years ago when samsung first became a chelsea sponsor and their most known products were tvs.

Indeed. Back when they started sponsoring us the mobile phone market was a whole different planet. Smart phones barely existed.

I would like to make it clear that I meant no disrespect in my earlier post regarding our shirt sponsorship. I just happen to think the Samsung logo looks quite classy on our kit, but if someone is prepared to pay more we would be daft not to take it.

Wow, you sound really conservative. I went on holidays to Turkey and it seemed quite western to me. But that's probably because I only went to touristy places and Istanbul.

Edit: I don't support their application for EU membership either. But that's more to do with their economy and ethnic conflicts inside the country rather than geography.

Edited by KingBlackFlag

Wow, you sound really conservative. I went on holidays to Turkey and it seemed quite western to me. But that's probably because I only went to touristy places and Istanbul.

Edit: I don't support their application for EU membership either. But that's more to do with their economy and ethnic conflicts inside the country rather than geography.

It's not just because of the places you went, I can assure you :). The West/South coastal regions as a whole (not just the touristy parts) plus the European part of Turkey (ironically) are the liberal places. I don't think Westernised is the right word, because most, if not all Turks, identify as Eastern and Asian no matter their religiosity (or indeed skin colour, so you can get blond/white looking Turks that identify as Asian :P). The population of these parts adds up to roughly half of the country.

South-East Turkey (the Kurdish majority region) is very conservative, just like the stereotypical Middle East.

The rest of the country (Central heartland and Northern coast) is conservative, but the kind of conservative you'd also find in Southern Europe or the Balkans. A European-type of conservative, rather than a Middle Eastern type as is found in South-Eastern Turkey.

I agree that we shouldn't be in the EU, but the two reasons you mention I disagree with. Turkey's economy is performing even better than some struggling EU members (Greece for one :P) and the ethnic conflict (Turkish VS Kurd) has calmed in recent years since Kurds now have their own political party in parliament and their own TV channels etc.

Not to say Turkey is a perfect country, it's not, but I feel it gets judged more harshly than it deserves due to historical prejudices. It's a stable country with a booming liberal economy, just like any other Western country. The current government is the one blight on our image, with their conservative rhetoric and failed attempts to force their idea of "traditional family values" on the majority of the country that didn't vote for them. But should that bring down the image of Turkish Airlines, who are a private company independent from the government? I don't think so.

I think most of the skeptical thoughts on this sponsorship are less to do with politics or Turcophobia. I think it's because Turkish Airlines isn't yet established in the minds of the World (and particularly Western) populace yet. Comments about "safety records" prove this, with people's thoughts of the company still affected by something that happened a few decades ago. It might as well be considered a different company now, such has been the change that has occurred in the last decade.

And here's an interesting thought my Dad had yesterday. It could actually help with our marketing in Turkey in a reverse kind of way. Turkey is a football mad country, but still very much insular when it comes to football watching habits. However with "Turkish" on the front of our shirts it could encourage more Turks to support us. Plus a stroke of luck is that this season the Premier League has returned to free to air television in Turkey, after nearly a decade of being on Sky-like DigiTurk. So this sponsorship deal might end up benefiting us as well as THY.

Also I wonder if our mini friendly tournament in Turkey had anything to do with this deal?