• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

As others have said, the past financial year was always going to see a huge loss. Never any doubt with the wages bill, Cobham, etc.. The prediction when the previous set of figures was released, was that the following year would be more of the same, but worse, because of the increased investment.

The NEXT set of figures will be the interesting one's, to see if some balance is being reached. They will also be significantly influenced by the Addidas and Samsung deals.

The reason, I think, that we release the financials even though we don't have to, is that someone, somewhere, would leak them anyway, and it'd look like we were hiding something. Better to be proactive.

It won't be as big as last year, but it will be high.

IMO we should spend less on players next year, so the loss isn't so big as this year. Also we have more income with Adidas.

Chelsea is Roman's toy and there is no more need for it to show an economic return than for one of his yachts. That is pretty obvious to all the non-Chelsea fans, so there is no point denying it.

From the PR point of view, an economic Chelsea has much going for it. It keeps the likes of Blatter off our backs, makes negotiating with and over playes easier, and helps cost controls. I am equally sure that since both Mourinho and Kenyon want to claim that they can achieve success and profits at the same time (and have done so before), their professional pride demands the official profit goals.

I for one am very glad that Roman chose my club to throw money at, and remain very excited when I see players like Duff perform to a level that even exceeds the price we paid for him. Full marks to the management for getting the players to reach their potential (you even deserve your salary, Jose).

It would be nice if Chelsea could go a year or two and show profits, though as has been stated above, that will largely be by bringing depreciation on players and other costs forward into this year. It would be great to win PL & CL and show a profit. But the important thing for Roman (and me) is to win.

The losses will continue to be announced in the next couple years, but hopefully it would be less than the year before. Buck has alraedy made it clear once before that we hope to start making a profit around 2009/10.

quote:
Originally posted by mikaforsell23

It won't be as big as last year, but it will be high.

id="quote">

id="quote">

I'd be surprised if it wasn't higher, to be honest. New players/improved contracts/payout to Umbro/Cobham/new, and more, backroom staff, and so on.

Philosophically, having an owner like Roman means that it doesn't matter. Except that he's said repeatedly (through Kenyon, Buck & Mourinho) that it does matter, and that he wants the club to be self-sufficient. Roman's a smart enough businessman to understand that, no matter how much money you have, you can't just keep flushing it without accountability.

quote:Originally posted by Ove

By the way, why are we announcing anything in the first place? Do we have to as a privately owned company? I applaud the transparency it brings of course, it's nice to know.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Very good point Ove. However, I feel this is probably part of the overall PR initiative to show Chelsea is not a crooked load of nonsense. It shows a bit of class actually I think.

Only £90 million? Well that's alright then!

Khobar   

Don't see a problem. Wages down 6%, income up 4%, New deals with Adidas & Samsung to bring in next year worth around £10 million p.a each, great new training facilities and a fantastic team (which is now at a level which doesn't require huge amounts of investment). I think it looks pretty good.

If we didn't have a billionaire behind us it would look appalling, but if we didn't have Abramovic we wouldn't have so many outgoings in the first place.

Mind you - a long way to go before we can get to profitability and self-sufficiency, but don't many clubs rely on their benefactors?