• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

On 26/01/2016 at 8:49 PM, paulw66 said:

Had it confirmed by a Chelsea player who played in the Liverpool game in 2003 that the players were told before the gsme that defeat would likely lead to administration. That's how bad the finances were.

Meh. Not concertedly disbelieving that, but also not hugely moved by a former player saying someone told them that.

Wonder if anyone could tell the players that again!

cam4blue   
36 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Meh. Not concertedly disbelieving that, but also not hugely moved by a former player saying someone told them that.

Wonder if anyone could tell the players that again!

Pretty sure it's based on this exchange; and it's not really "confirmation" that the players were told anything before the game (in fact, it seems a bit like a nice way of saying they weren't, but that they also didn't live in a vacuum).

@graemelesaux14 was it true that the players were told the club faced financial ruin if we lost to LFC in 2003?

Follow

gA7RPSD9_bigger.jpgGraeme Le SauxVerified account@

We knew there was strong possibility @ChelseaFC would go into administration if we didn't qualify for UCL #pressure

Edited by cam4blue
tidying.

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, cam4blue said:

Pretty sure it's based on this exchange; and it's not really "confirmation" that the players were told anything before the game (in fact, it seems a bit like a nice way of saying they weren't, but that they also didn't live in a vacuum).

@graemelesaux14 was it true that the players were told the club faced financial ruin if we lost to LFC in 2003?

Follow

gA7RPSD9_bigger.jpgGraeme Le SauxVerified account@

We knew there was strong possibility @ChelseaFC would go into administration if we didn't qualify for UCL #pressure

It's not only this, but I have read books from Lampard, Terry, Ranieri and Le Saux who all say the same thing. For whatever reason, people don't want to believe we were in the financial sh*t before Roman took over. 

If you want more on field proof, at the end of 2001/02 we had a mixture of talented young plaers, Terry, Gallas, Gudjohnsen, Lampard, and a stack of aging ones like Zola, Petit, Stanic, Desailly, Le Saux, Zenden, JFH, and a couple of players who were completely mediocre, Babayaro, Morris, Huth, etc and who did we buy that summer? Nobody. Literally. We were skint. Flat broke. 

cam4blue   
1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

It's not only this, but I have read books from Lampard, Terry, Ranieri and Le Saux who all say the same thing.

Did they say that they were told in the dressing room before the Liverpool game that we would go into administration if we didn't win? 

I doubt it. It's a great story, and I'd like to believe it for that alone, but it's clearly apocryphal. 

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

For whatever reason, people don't want to believe we were in the financial sh*t before Roman took over. 

Correction: we would have been in "the financial sh*t" if we hadn't qualified for the CL. 

On 2/5/2016 at 7:35 PM, paulw66 said:

It's not only this, but I have read books from Lampard, Terry, Ranieri and Le Saux who all say the same thing. For whatever reason, people don't want to believe we were in the financial sh*t before Roman took over. 

If you want more on field proof, at the end of 2001/02 we had a mixture of talented young plaers, Terry, Gallas, Gudjohnsen, Lampard, and a stack of aging ones like Zola, Petit, Stanic, Desailly, Le Saux, Zenden, JFH, and a couple of players who were completely mediocre, Babayaro, Morris, Huth, etc and who did we buy that summer? Nobody. Literally. We were skint. Flat broke. 

Huth????  Mediocre?  May I point you in the direction of the league table.

Doesn't this make him the best player in the league (on form, & 3 goals in 5 games)

More generally - there is a danger here that one type of argument (that we were about to be bankrupt) is being backed up by a completely different one (that we were short on cash and CL entry would make a big difference).

They are not the same.  Certainly we had little to spend.  Certainly the CL would make a difference.  The players must have known that.  And those with contracts up for renegotiation (typically I guess a third of the squad) would know that the offer would be better if we were in the CL, and otherwise their agent would be looking for better offers elsewhere.  But that is not the cliff edge that some want to pretend we were careering over.

(BTW - books are written by ghost writers - all of whom read the "official biography" written by a music writer, Rick Glanville.  Great book, but he is no finance expert, clearly was lead along the path by Buck, and never seems to have spoken to Bates to get the other side.
And I am really not quite sure which is crazier.  Chelsea are getting ready in the dressing room to take on Liverpool at the Bridge.  If there is a single player there stupid enough not to know that a draw would give us a CL place over Liverpool, he is the only man in West London.  So it is crazy to think that some finance guy wondered into the dressing room thinking that the players needed the extra motivation of a financial threat.  And equally crazy to think that any red blooded player there remembers him saying it.

12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Doesn't this make him the best player in the league (on form, & 3 goals in 5 games)

More generally - there is a danger here that one type of argument (that we were about to be bankrupt) is being backed up by a completely different one (that we were short on cash and CL entry would make a big difference).

They are not the same.  Certainly we had little to spend.  Certainly the CL would make a difference.  The players must have known that.  And those with contracts up for renegotiation (typically I guess a third of the squad) would know that the offer would be better if we were in the CL, and otherwise their agent would be looking for better offers elsewhere.  But that is not the cliff edge that some want to pretend we were careering over.

(BTW - books are written by ghost writers - all of whom read the "official biography" written by a music writer, Rick Glanville.  Great book, but he is no finance expert, clearly was lead along the path by Buck, and never seems to have spoken to Bates to get the other side.
And I am really not quite sure which is crazier.  Chelsea are getting ready in the dressing room to take on Liverpool at the Bridge.  If there is a single player there stupid enough not to know that a draw would give us a CL place over Liverpool, he is the only man in West London.  So it is crazy to think that some finance guy wondered into the dressing room thinking that the players needed the extra motivation of a financial threat.  And equally crazy to think that any red blooded player there remembers him saying it.

It's certainly an odd form of "motivation"... if we don't qualify for CL this club is bankrupt. It may motivate some to play better, but I'm sure it would have a detrimental effect on others.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I never said any of this took place in the dressing room. Nor did I suggest that the players didn't know that they needed a point to qualify for the CL. What Le Saux confirmed was that the players were told AT SOME POINT in the days leading up to the game, that losing that match would likely end up in administration. 

And seriously do you think Huth is the best centre half in the PL? Even if you did, his form of 2016 is somewhat irrelevant to his form of 13 years previous and it is impossible to argue that the squad we had back then didn't need serious investment. 

Edited by paulw66