• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I never said any of this took place in the dressing room. Nor did I suggest that the players didn't know that they needed a point to qualify for the CL. What Le Saux confirmed was that the players were told AT SOME POINT in the days leading up to the game, that losing that match would likely end up in administration. 

And seriously do you think Huth is the best centre half in the PL? Even if you did, his form of 2016 is somewhat irrelevant to his form of 13 years previous and it is impossible to argue that the squad we had back then didn't need serious investment. 

Except that players just don't know that kind of thing.  They read it in the papers, or they talk to other players (or agents with an agenda).  (and he doesn't say he was informed by the club, just that "we knew" - this is all 10 years after hearsay.

On Huth - read the link - and although I forgot the question mark, it was rhetorical & ironic, not a statement of fact.

Edited by Droy was my hero

cam4blue   
4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

What Le Saux confirmed was that the players were told AT SOME POINT in the days leading up to the game, that losing that match would likely end up in administration. 

He really didn't.

You have filled in an awful lot of blanks. 

On 2/5/2016 at 6:16 PM, cam4blue said:

Follow

gA7RPSD9_bigger.jpgGraeme Le SauxVerified account@

We knew there was strong possibility @ChelseaFC would go into administration if we didn't qualify for UCL #pressure

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Except that players just don't know that kind of thing.  They read it in the papers, or they talk to other players (or agents with an agenda).  (and he doesn't say he was informed by the club, just that "we knew" - this is all 10 years after hearsay.

On Huth - read the link - and although I forgot the question mark, it was rhetorical & ironic, not a statement of fact.

Come on Droy. The available facts are against you. I googled ' Trevor birch Chelsea would go bust' umpteen articles back up the veiws you refuse to accept. We were in the s*** and on the verge of some,very serious financial issues.

47 minutes ago, Patnevinswedge said:

Come on Droy. The available facts are against you. I googled ' Trevor birch Chelsea would go bust' umpteen articles back up the veiws you refuse to accept. We were in the s*** and on the verge of some,very serious financial issues.

Umpteen articles 10 to 15 years later.  That is what myths are about.
What is it - do you think the press have better memories or better sources than you or I have over things said in a dressing room in 2003?

And you are blurring the boundaries on the story.  About to default or not much in the transfer kitty - which is it?

52 minutes ago, Patnevinswedge said:

I Googled 'Trevor Birch Chelsea would go bust' and while there do seem, at first glance, to be many articles, most are actually about his time at Portsmouth.

I did find this interesting article in The Guardian; the player who scored the goal that supposedly ensured our safety isn't sure it actually happened!

"Jesper Gronkjaer is well aware of the legend, even if he cannot vouch entirely for its veracity. Just prior to kick-off on the final day of the domestic campaign eight years ago, the then Chelsea chief executive, Trevor Birch, addressed a hushed squad in the changing room at Stamford Bridge and confirmed the club was teetering on the brink of financial ruin. Lose to Liverpool and players would be sold, merciless cutbacks implemented across the board and ambitions radically downsized.

Yet some two hours later, with victory secured and Champions League qualification guaranteed at the visitors' expense, that same club had apparently been transformed into the plaything Roman Abramovich could not resist. Within six weeks, Chelsea would be bought, with money suddenly no object, and the landscape of the modern game would never be the same again. And all, as the myth goes, courtesy of Gronkjaer's first-half winner, daisy-cut into the far corner beyond a sprawling Jerzy Dudek: the billion-pound goal." [http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/feb/20/roman-Abramovich-chelsea]

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I Googled 'Trevor Birch Chelsea would go bust' and while there do seem, at first glance, to be many articles, most are actually about his time at Portsmouth.

I did find this interesting article in The Guardian; the player who scored the goal that supposedly ensured our safety isn't sure it actually happened!

"Jesper Gronkjaer is well aware of the legend, even if he cannot vouch entirely for its veracity. Just prior to kick-off on the final day of the domestic campaign eight years ago, the then Chelsea chief executive, Trevor Birch, addressed a hushed squad in the changing room at Stamford Bridge and confirmed the club was teetering on the brink of financial ruin. Lose to Liverpool and players would be sold, merciless cutbacks implemented across the board and ambitions radically downsized.

Yet some two hours later, with victory secured and Champions League qualification guaranteed at the visitors' expense, that same club had apparently been transformed into the plaything Roman Abramovich could not resist. Within six weeks, Chelsea would be bought, with money suddenly no object, and the landscape of the modern game would never be the same again. And all, as the myth goes, courtesy of Gronkjaer's first-half winner, daisy-cut into the far corner beyond a sprawling Jerzy Dudek: the billion-pound goal." [http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/feb/20/roman-Abramovich-chelsea]

Everyone knows it was Desailly's header that secured the CL spot. Gronks' goal just gave us a cushion, just like Torres's at the Nou Camp. They weren't the decisive goals that everyone seems to remember them as

20 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Everyone knows it was Desailly's header that secured the CL spot. Gronks' goal just gave us a cushion, just like Torres's at the Nou Camp. They weren't the decisive goals that everyone seems to remember them as

Actually for a long time till today I thought we needed a win.  Which kind of proved my point.  Myths develop, and just quoting "established facts" from memory isn't enough.  

Fortunately I checked the table and goal difference for 2003 before describing what I thought might be said in the dressing room - a draw was needed.

All kinds of false myths get created later on.  Anyone remember how many World Trade towers collapsed on 9/11?

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Umpteen articles 10 to 15 years later.  That is what myths are about.
What is it - do you think the press have better memories or better sources than you or I have over things said in a dressing room in 2003?

And you are blurring the boundaries on the story.  About to default or not much in the transfer kitty - which is it?

Below are quotes from Birch and Buck.  For me they back up the story of the mess we we're in. You decide.

"We needed to reschedule and stretch some of the commitments that we had," he says. "The [£75m] Eurobond was a lump payment each year. There were other commitments, football commitments with players who had been bought but who hadn't been paid for, that needed to be rescheduled."

"I think the financial side [at Chelsea] would have become an issue if certain actions weren't taken so all the plans were geared around stabilising the position, while certain contracts unwound. Chelsea had been caught by the acceleration of the transfer market which then left us with probably more players than we needed on probably more lucrative contracts than was prudent and therefore we had to try to untangle all those, contain things in order to rejuvenate the club."

"For the next five days," says Buck, "lawyers worked day and night and the deal was announced on June 30 or July 1 [2003]. As part of the process they gave us a lot of financial information, so we understood there was an urgency. They never said that. Trevor was a very good negotiator. It was clear he'd been holding things together superbly for a year. He had obviously done a great job. The club owes him a great debt of gratitude."

Soon the new regime was able to examine the state of Chelsea's finances closely. "I personally was surprised," says Buck, "but those in the know weren't. They had a £75m Eurobond outstanding and it was perfectly clear to the markets that they might have trouble making the July payment. Trevor Birch had been in discussions for some time about restructuring that bond. The financial community as opposed to the football community knew there were some real issues.