• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Who would be daft enough to deny that ? I thought it was common knowledge that we were in trouble ?

Amazingly, there are a few around here who deny our financial state was as parlous as that interview suggests.

Bates was pretty dismissive of the idea on that documentary the other week. We had big debts but we were servicing them. That doesn't mean I'm disputing that players might have been sold to reduce the debt, but I don't believe we were on the brink of bankruptcy or administration. As Lamps said in that piece:

There was even talk we might go under had we not qualified for the Champions League at the end of the 2002-3 campaign.

There is always talk, speculation, gossip and rumour. It doesn't make it fact. It's not as if RA bought the club for a quid, as Bates did, when the club really was in deep doo-doo.

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/frank-Lampard-when-roman-Abramovich-arrived-at-chelsea-I-feared-I-would-be-sold-but-after-he-spoke-a3842871.html

another ex player confirming the clubs financial position prior to the RA takeover. cue denials..............

Who would be daft enough to deny that?  It was common knowledge that we were not financially strong and that if I recall the only purchase had been a free transfer.  Still as SFL mentioned we did have some decent assets we could have sold if things ever got really tough.

I think you are jumping at "a little grey" as proof of black.

3 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

thank for this link.

Just the opposite.  As an Israeli he can travel short term to UK without a visa, and I suspect it would be easy to get a longer visa to work.

Plus of course, an application for an Israeli passport might be a genuine practical explanation as to why the UK visa has been held up.

Edited by Droy was my hero

53 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

I agree with Droy... having an Israeli passport will make it easier for short-term visits.

He bought a boutique hotel a while back which, I believe, he is having work done on to turn it into a private residence. The only thing that surprises me a little is that he hadn't applied for Israeli citizenship earlier.

14 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

The only thing that surprises me a little is that he hadn't applied for Israeli citizenship earlier.

Yes.  The question is whether his Israeli passport application complicated his UK visa application, or  the UK Visa delay prompted the Israeli passport application.
Can't help thinking I preferred him as a Russian.

9 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

I did not know the visa situation for Isreali's so that would make sense. 

I found out from the article you quoted.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  The question is whether his Israeli passport application complicated his UK visa application, or  the UK Visa delay prompted the Israeli passport application.
Can't help thinking I preferred him as a Russian.

If he starts selling his homes in England, then we can probably assume that his visa delays prompted the Israeli citizenship request.