• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

Sciatika   

Do a Meetme or WebEx or something.

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yeh, this situation still has some unraveling to go through yet. I'm of the opinion that it's a quite deliberate policy on the part of Boris Bullshit to queer any Russian's pitch and they don't come any higher profile than Roman.

I am unclear on why this has anything to do with Boris. It's "UK Visas and Immigration" which is part of the Home Office, not the FCO. But, hey, why let a little thing like the wrong department get in the way.

Edited by Sciatika

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yeh, this situation still has some unraveling to go through yet. I'm of the opinion that it's a quite deliberate policy on the part of Boris Bullshit to queer any Russian's pitch and they don't come any higher profile than Roman.

It is very odd. For years and years successive governments have courted investment from (amongst others) Russian millionaires and billionaires, turning a blind eye as to where or how they got the money, we import 60% of our energy from abroad with a sizeable amount of coal and gas coming from Russia. Turning our backs on our closest neighbours and being shunned by our old empire, we desperately need trade deals with countries such as Russia in the coming years, and all we do is promote the Honey Monster as our chief diplomat!

7 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Do a Meetme or WebEx or something.

I am unclear on why this has anything to do with Boris. It's "UK Visas and Immigration" which is part of the Home Office, not the FCO. But, hey, why let a little thing like the wrong department get in the way.

It's got to do with him because he's, in concert with the US, doing everything he can as Foreign Secretary to make things as difficult as possible for Russia.

Could have been worse I suppose.  Imagine if we'd been in the CL final, not the FA cup final.  Roman would never have got anywhere near the match.

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Could have been worse I suppose.  Imagine if we'd been in the CL final, not the FA cup final.  Roman would never have got anywhere near the match.

I'm sure he'd have been OK... and a lot safer than Arkady Babchenko

Just now, Bob Singleton said:

I'm sure he'd have been OK... and a lot safer than Arkady Babchenko

Yes Kiev is a very dangerous place for journalists - as no doubt the Guardian which constantly writes about journalists under threats has reminded you on many occasions.  There is a long list of Russian journalists that have been killed in Kiev.   I bet they all get Guardian obituaries. 
All those years writing stuff for the frequently anti-Putin press in Moscow and killed in his first year in Kiev.  bad move.

Sciatika   
9 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

It's got to do with him because he's, in concert with the US, doing everything he can as Foreign Secretary to make things as difficult as possible for Russia.

It's his job to defend the interests of the UK whether in relation to gas pipelines, the poisoning people on our soil under our protection, cyber attacks, Syria and so on. We should be questioning arbitrary, authoritarian and, sometimes, despotic government wherever it occurs. I just wish we were more even-handed about our choices. There are some pretty nasty regimes out there that are, apparently, our "friends". All the same, politics is off-topic so I'll back off.

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes Kiev is a very dangerous place for journalists - as no doubt the Guardian which constantly writes about journalists under threats has reminded you on many occasions.  There is a long list of Russian journalists that have been killed in Kiev.   I bet they all get Guardian obituaries. 
All those years writing stuff for the frequently anti-Putin press in Moscow and killed in his first year in Kiev.  bad move.

Indeed, just another strange coincidence of a Putin opponent/critic murdered in mysterious circumstances! Should we add him to the list that contains Alexander Litvinenko, Anna Politkovskaya, Boris Nemtsov, Stanislav Markelov, Anastasia Baburova, Mikhail Lesin, Boris Berezovsky, Sergei Yushenkov and Paul Klebnikov amongst many others?

Being a friend of Putin, RA would have been far safer attending a final in Kiev than he would have been were he a critic!

You're as one-eyed on this subject as you were, for example, on Matic.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Indeed, just another strange coincidence of a Putin opponent/critic murdered in mysterious circumstances! Should we add him to the list that contains Alexander Litvinenko, Anna Politkovskaya, Boris Nemtsov, Stanislav Markelov, Anastasia Baburova, Mikhail Lesin, Boris Berezovsky, Sergei Yushenkov and Paul Klebnikov amongst many others?

I think you have been reading the Guardian too much.  You certainly haven't read much Russian news.  Only one of the above would feature in a list of 100 top enemies of Putin or the Russia state, and he died of natural causes after spending 10 years producing anti-Putin propaganda.  Almost all the rest had Russian or Chechen criminal enemies, or strong links with Kiev.  No need to search for a Putin connection unless of course that is the sole purpose of looking.

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

It's his job to defend the interests of the UK whether in relation to ...................Syria and so on.

Isn't it in the interests of everyone to support Russia in Syria?

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Why do you say that?