• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

It's his job to defend the interests of the UK whether in relation to gas pipelines, the poisoning people on our soil under our protection, cyber attacks, Syria and so on. We should be questioning arbitrary, authoritarian and, sometimes, despotic government wherever it occurs. I just wish we were more even-handed about our choices. There are some pretty nasty regimes out there that are, apparently, our "friends". All the same, politics is off-topic so I'll back off.

Well, very timely of you to back off having had your say Sciatika.

Boris Johnson is a congenital and unscrupulous liar. Even his own supporters would admit so. As for Salisbury? The whole thing is laughable.

There, I think I'll back off now too.

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Indeed, just another strange coincidence of a Putin opponent/critic murdered in mysterious circumstances! Should we add him to the list that contains Alexander Litvinenko, Anna Politkovskaya, Boris Nemtsov, Stanislav Markelov, Anastasia Baburova, Mikhail Lesin, Boris Berezovsky, Sergei Yushenkov and Paul Klebnikov amongst many others?

Being a friend of Putin, RA would have been far safer attending a final in Kiev than he would have been were he a critic!

You're as one-eyed on this subject as you were, for example, on Matic.

It's curious to me that Roman, a supposed "friend" of Putin, has chosen to go to Israel. All right he's Jewish, but Putin himself is very much anti-Israel of course. I wonder how Roman will square this with him or what possible issues his relationship with Putin will bring him in Netanyahu land.

35 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you have been reading the Guardian too much.  You certainly haven't read much Russian news.  Only one of the above would feature in a list of 100 top enemies of Putin or the Russia state, and he died of natural causes after spending 10 years producing anti-Putin propaganda.  Almost all the rest had Russian or Chechen criminal enemies, or strong links with Kiev.  No need to search for a Putin connection unless of course that is the sole purpose of looking.

Isn't it in the interests of everyone to support Russia in Syria?

Ring the cathedral bells! 

I agree wholeheartedly with you Droy!

4 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

It's curious to me that Roman, a supposed "friend" of Putin, has chosen to go to Israel. All right he's Jewish, but Putin himself is very much anti-Israel of course. I wonder how Roman will square this with him or what possible issues his relationship with Putin will bring him in Netanyahu land.

Good question.  Actually the Russian approach to ME is to maintain working relationships with everyone, including Israel.  Diplomacy, with no pretence that they might take on anyone except terrorists.
And while Israel is the refuge of many of the exiled oligarchs who Putin threw out, it is not exclusively so.

And of course it is a nice place to stay or dock one's yacht.  Ski in the morning, sunbathe at the beach in the afternoon.  Everything RA does seems to be about entertainment for large numbers of people.

Sciatika   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Never said it wasn't. What I said was that Boris Johnson's job was to defend UK interests.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you have been reading the Guardian too much.  You certainly haven't read much Russian news.  Only one of the above would feature in a list of 100 top enemies of Putin or the Russia state, and he died of natural causes after spending 10 years producing anti-Putin propaganda.  Almost all the rest had Russian or Chechen criminal enemies, or strong links with Kiev.  No need to search for a Putin connection unless of course that is the sole purpose of looking.

Do you mean the state controlled press, or the genuinely free press that sees reporter after reporter jailed on trumped-up charges, killed in very strange circumstances or who just mysteriously disappear?

6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Do you mean the state controlled press, or the genuinely free press that sees reporter after reporter jailed on trumped-up charges, killed in very strange circumstances or who just mysteriously disappear?

See what I mean.  Try Vedomosti, Kommersant or the Novaya Gazeta website.    2 big newspapers and a big website.  All anti-Putin.  Try Pravda or The Moscow Times.  Google translate will tell you just how "unfree" they are.  It is a free press in Russia - and unless you are Mark Kelly or Zaffo saying it is controlled a thousand times changes nothing.
As the Guardian would tell you if were "free" and did its own research, Kiev is a dozen times more dangerous than Moscow for reporters.

Ham   

Some of the trigger words being used in this discussion will have the site on a watch list or two by now.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

Never said it wasn't. What I said was that Boris Johnson's job was to defend UK interests.

Yes, but not to contribute to pernicious activities with other invidious elements in an effort to cause incidents proactively.

25 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

See what I mean.  Try Vedomosti, Kommersant or the Novaya Gazeta website.    2 big newspapers and a big website.  All anti-Putin.  Try Pravda or The Moscow Times.  Google translate will tell you just how "unfree" they are.  It is a free press in Russia - and unless you are Mark Kelly or Zaffo saying it is controlled a thousand times changes nothing.
As the Guardian would tell you if were "free" and did its own research, Kiev is a dozen times more dangerous than Moscow for reporters.

Don't bring me into this , I can't understand why we "suddenly" hate Russia when there's plenty of better options out there.