• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

Benners   

I'm probably in the minority of 'old Chelsea' ,who would rather go back to the days of standing (often decaying) terraces , massive matchday attendances & phenomenal support (although adding the current squad to that would be something).

The newcomers are ruining the atmosphere to the point where only a 5-0 will get you the impression we've achieved something on the pitch, remember Mick the mouth getting us all excited about the slightest attack? Shouting "ooh it's a corner, ooh it's a corner" !!!

The way it's going at the moment ,Chels are turning into a yuppified monster & soon could end up as soul-less as Manure,this is not what I had in mind when I started to support Chelsea in the late sixties.I know we have a blotted past, but all the same it's the particular humour, the electric atmosphere & the raw edge that I love in Chelsea. Let's try to get some of it back & not get too obsessed with becoming the biggest richest mega-club on the planet.

There will come a day when Roman walks away. I would prefer that this club be set up to be successful when that day comes. Establishing Chelsea as a brand, partnering with Nike (as much as I HATE them) and other high profile companies is a way to do that.

It's no different really than the huge investment in the new training facility and youth academy programme.

Where it is my opinion that ticket prices are too high, last time my Dad and me came to the Bridge by train, the day cost almost £140, and that is a phenomenol amount of money for seeing 1 match, and so I think tickets should be cheaper. But there is a need for ticket prices to be a certain price to ensure that the revenue coming in, helps fill the void of that going out, and so I doubt that the ticket prices will go down.

IMO, they should have a system, where prices are cheaper when you play a league 2 team, rather than the Arse, so you can still attract a full stadium, and therefore a similar amount of revenue for each match.

blakey   

I thought I'd make this point after reading the debate earlier about whether or not we should change our kit sponsors from Umbro to Nike. The general gist of the postings gave me the impression that many (not all I'm happy to say) would welcome Nike with open arms because of their marketable value worldwide, in order to get more supporters.

Once we start to win trophies, people will start to jump on the Chelsea bandwagon irrespective of who sponsors us or what company makes our kit, and I have no problem at all with that. RA has already increased the teams profile by pumping in huge amounts of cash both on and off the pitch (more or less the same as what the Spanish government have done with Real over the years).

I agree totally that we should look to become self sufficient in the long run, but unless RA leaves us for pastures new (which is highly unlikey) we don't really need to be self sufficient do we? I'm sure RA will be around for the next 20 years, so there's not much need to worry about it.

At the moment our finances are low on my priorities Glen, they should be on yours.

And I'm glad to say I don;t approve of Nike. I don't see the point of changing from Umbro who have been supportive of us.

And, don't worry, I keep a close eye on my finances. ;-)

To the extent that global branding does impact on the team, it's a good thing - I don't think it's a complete negative.

To the extent that it doesn't impact the team I know I certainly don't care at all, except it keeps Kenyon out of team matters and it's always nice to believe your own personal choices are validated by others (even though there's probably no real link).

Of course, if I want a ticket and someone else has bought them all, its a very, very bad idea B^)

Faramir   

"Of course, if I want a ticket and someone else has bought them all, its a very, very bad idea B^)"

Excellent (and funny) point Harry!

The ever reliable Evening standard printed a nice article about a "Record loss for Chelsea" adding that; "Sources say their losses could be between £50 million and £60m. That would dwarf the previous record loss of £33.8m posted by Leeds in 2002, but Chelsea's spending over the last 18 months has been unprecedented."

Full article here; http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/footba...?source=Evening

However the Club has issues the following statement;

"Media reports this morning are speculating about the financial figures to be filed by Chelsea Village plc. The figures in the reports are incorrect. The correct, and complete, financial picture of the company will become clear when the accounts are made public."

http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?hlid=...sub=latest+news

If we did make a £60 million loss on the year..I would think it if it wasn't for our exuberant spending on transfers it would actually represent quite a healthy profit for the year...we spent about £120 million so if we had only spent say £40 million we would have been looking at a £20 million profit.

One thing about the new kit deal, umbro have been fantastic for the club but I think adidas will be a change for the better...personally, after a dodgy start, I think peter kenyon is now doing an excellent job for the blues.