• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

linton   
quote:Originally posted by RXM

Mind you, an £87m loss sure would save a lot on tax when offset against earnings... ;-)

id="quote">

id="quote">

Yeah, they'll have to give us money!

As Kenyon says, the wild days are over. We got to start sweating the assets & with more good results from the field & better investment decisions on the business side, we should be real solid in a couple of years & even pay Roman some good return for his investments.

I am quite glad Peter Kenyon has spoken of limiting spending on players and wages, there is no way any club can go on spending £100 million a year on transfer fees and still sustain itself. I just hope to make more profits the club doesn't keep raising ticket prices. We could definitely expand Stamford Bridge as one of the reasons we couldn't knock down the hotel and build another tier was because Ken Bates still lived there, but now he's at Leeds I'm sure he would sell his property at Chelsea. If we had a 50,000 seater stadium we could make an extra £10million+ a season on ticket sales and can attract extra sponsorship. I also suggest we set up official fan clubs in foreign countries and charge fans money to be part of the fan club. Just out of interest does any one know exact figures for Mourinho's wages? Because I don't believe reports that he is on £100,000 a week, I would reckon about £60,000-£70,000 a week

> This is why we have to stop spending 100 mill on new players every summer...

Not quite yet. Purchase prices are amortised over the length of the contract. We've still got a couple of years of blowing a wad each summer.

Form an orderly queue... B^)

Raymond, I echo your sentiments about self-sufficiency, but I think you're wrong on two counts.

Firstly, any rebuilding at Stamford Bridge would not be a trivial exercise. Bates wanted a 50,000 seater stadium, but was vigorously opposed by local residents and Hammersmith and Fulham Council. They will continue to oppose any expansion of the ground without a great deal of persuasion and no little "sweetening." The only way I can see them acceding to any desire to increase the numbers at The Bridge is if we offer a major incentive in terms of local amenities and infrastructure; a whole new tube station, or a Chelsea financed walkway to Brompton Road, for example, in conjunction with some community services. All of this would be extremely expensive.

Secondly, do not underestimate Bates' propensity for malice, or his eye for the main chance. As long as he owns property in the Village he has leverage against Abramovich and you may rely on him to use it.

I believe that moving is out of the question because of the Pitchowner scheme, which makes it very difficult to sell the land on which the pitch now sits, but perhaps that is a naive view.

In the end perhaps Kenyon expects the Club to be self financing through an unprecedented marketing and merchandising drive, but I know that City football analysts don't believe the goal of self-sufficiency within 5 years to be realistic. Neither he nor Abramovich is a fool though, so I'm sure they will have an aggressive and a radical agenda.

OzzyCFC   

I'm with Michael if it is happening in 5 years time we should worry but the current outlay will provide some sort of return eventually. And I think we will spend more wisely from now on and not make crazy purchases.

And then, of course Harry, there's the little question of the wages bill. Nothing's going to go away though, if we keep adding to it.

Not sure that it does, Yellowman - paying it off in a lump sum would surely have increased the loss? Plus, the penalties, of course.

Undoubtedly it will be more than a couple of years, before Roman sees any return on his investment - other than for possible tax breaks, that is. Can't imagine that he's too worried, though.

Ray, you're right - we can't sustain spending like the drunken sailors of football. I've been warning of the consequences of "buy this one, buy that one, Roman can afford it" mentality, for some time, as have others here. Perhaps now that PK has made his definitive statement, people will actually start to take notice(although to be honest, I doubt it!). Getting the spending under control, and improving the income streams is the only way forward if we ever hope to become self-sufficient. And, if people want to be able to afford a seat at The Bridge in 3, or 5 years time, then the sooner the joint is run like a proper business, the better.

Increasing the capacity of Stamford Bridge would be a great step forward, but I'm not sure that Batesy will simply roll over now he's bought into Leeds. He feels he's been pushed out - that's why he dug his heels in. Has anything changed? If he sells, he'll want to get HIS price, no doubt.

I'm not sure what Mourinho's wage has to do with anything, though. 70 or, 100k a week - what difference does it make? Whatever he's being paid, he's earning it, IMO. On what basis do you choose not to believe 100k anyway? Not sure what point you're making with that one, Ray.

More importantly, I noticed that RA has "loaned" 100 mill to the Club. It's on the books. So much for "Roman just writes cheques" brigade. I have raised this very point a number of times over the month's, including asking for it to be raised at the Fans' Forum. And now, there's the answer, in black & white. I wonder if now, the fans will begin to realise that nothing is ever for "free"?