• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

jangz   

Hmm... seeing the drama over at portsmouth and liverpool's ignorant blabbing owner.. the thing I have been asking myself is do we have the best owner in major football clubs?

I have had my issues with him over Mourinho sacking and schvchenko signing but I think all in all he's been pretty good... I mean the man bought cash and players revamped facilities improved a whole lot... I mean we have come a long way since 2003...

and the truth is in RETROSPECT I'll have him over the glazers,hicks the caledrons any day.. he's been loyal.. has come to matches has been blue enough for me...

Has to be Roman. Despite the fact that he has probably made errors of judgement, he is at least a man who actually loves football (as even Blatter, reluctantly I'm sure, conceded recently). To Glazer, Hicks & Gilett, it's only a business venture. Though to be fair to him, Glazer seems to have a bit more about him than the other two clowns.

Dazz   

Out of the top clubs we obviously do, but as you mentioned the troubles at Pompey, I'd say that in the Premiership Randy Lerner and Niall Quinn for me are the best chairman/oweners. Both outstanding examples of how a football club should be run, how to support a manager. Lerner I believe paid for the restoration of a derelict pub near the ground, has one of his advisors look on the Villa Forums weekly for issues that may arise.

When Sbragia needed to get the boot, Sunderland handled it in such a fantastic manner that neither club nor manager lost face, with Roy Keane they never seemed to be in the wrong either.

Of the group mentioned, Roman by a country mile...

Living in Tampa it's been interesting hearing some of the heat Bucs fans have been giving the Glazers about owning United... The fans here think they care more about United than the Bucs... I think they're right...

Another foreign owner that doesn't seem to have his head up his arse too far is Randy Lerner...

Out of the top clubs we obviously do, but as you mentioned the troubles at Pompey, I'd say that in the Premiership Randy Lerner and Niall Quinn for me are the best chairman/oweners. Both outstanding examples of how a football club should be run, how to support a manager. Lerner I believe paid for the restoration of a derelict pub near the ground, has one of his advisors look on the Villa Forums weekly for issues that may arise.

When Sbragia needed to get the boot, Sunderland handled it in such a fantastic manner that neither club nor manager lost face, with Roy Keane they never seemed to be in the wrong either.

I have to agree with this. Lerner and Quinn are brilliant and you're right on the Lerner pub thing. Another great owner is Whelan at Wigan but out of the top 4 clubs Roman is by far the best. I'd rather have a Russian than a yank...

roman made a number of errors over the past 6 years, but its impossible to ignore the number of brilliant decisions he's also made. hiring PK & Mourinho, sacking scolari and bringing in hiddink, ancelotti's appointment looks like another brilliant move too, plus the man has made such a significant investment in the club... I think he's learning more and more every season about whats necessary to run a football club, and the whimsical approach he adopted between early 06 to late 08 appears to now be a thing of the past.

the glazers have done well too IMO. theyve built a good relationship with fergie, and have consistently supported him in the transfer market. theyre probably the best of the lot IMO, because gillet & hicks are clowns. if roman, assuming ancelotti does whats necessary ofcourse, builds a long-term relationship with carlo AND supports him in the transfer market then I'll gladly rank him first. until then, the glazers have done the best job so far IMO.

the glazers have done well too IMO. theyve built a good relationship with fergie, and have consistently supported him in the transfer market. theyre probably the best of the lot IMO, because gillet & hicks are clowns. if roman, assuming ancelotti does whats necessary ofcourse, builds a long-term relationship with carlo AND supports him in the transfer market then I'll gladly rank him first. until then, the glazers have done the best job so far IMO.

Spot on. The Glaziers have been fantastic for Utd, fully supporting fergie throughout , giving him a transfer budget of 30 million to spend every year. Is it any surprise they have won 3 league titles in a row since the Glazers took over?

yugam   

absolutely correct..

anyways out of the above comparison Abramovich wins for me.

roman made a number of errors over the past 6 years, but its impossible to ignore the number of brilliant decisions he's also made. hiring PK & Mourinho, sacking scolari and bringing in hiddink, ancelotti's appointment looks like another brilliant move too, plus the man has made such a significant investment in the club... I think he's learning more and more every season about whats necessary to run a football club, and the whimsical approach he adopted between early 06 to late 08 appears to now be a thing of the past.

Probably because they owned a sport club and have experience managing one before they bought United. While Roman never owned before he bought us.