• Current Donation Goals

richard

Chelsea Finances Thread

Fair enough, but even so we had no chance of competing for the trophies we now compete for regularly, and little or no money to spend on the squad.

Funny how the media keep saying, it they don't always make everything up. Its hard to believe difficult things about your club isn't it? Sorry, my mistake. The media are always wrong. Like they went on about how were going for Jose in early 2004, about how we wanted Ballack and Sheva in early 2006, like they went on about Deco coming early 2008, and Anelka late 2007, and about Ancelotti in February 2009 and in early 2008.

Lucky they were wrong with all of those ones eh? Even about that one when we went for Ancelotti in 2008 and he rejected us, which he has since admitted. They were wrong with all these stories, were they not?

Anyway, bottom line is that we wouldn't have achieved anything like we have or had the players we had or be in the position we are in without Roman, end of.

What ARE you on about?

Any self respecting Chelsea fan knows we were never close to 'going under' or doing a Leeds.

We would have had to sell players sure, and probably sell off the Chelsea Village ( which wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world)

Your points are invalid anyway.

He didn't say the media is/never has been right.

So save us the long winded sarcastic reply....

No problem at all but the club dressing it up as RA being Mr Bountiful is ridiculous. It's only been done to get around FIFA. he wouldn't have done it otherwise would he?

No he probably wouldn't. But I think that was Gourlay's quote about FIFA that you cited, so I didn't read it as the club dressing it up as Mr Bountiful.... At the end of the day, he has put £x000 million in. I haven't. In fact, even if I had it, I probably wouldn't...

I'm not saying RA out. Read the bottom of my post. Many many thanks to RA.

OK my misunderstanding. In the context of your post as a whole, I thought you were being sarcastic. You do suggest a breakaway club without him though! It is kind of the same thing....

Ta Khobar, but I think chrisp was calling RA the JCL and not me. chrisp if you were calling me a JCL can I suggest that you refer to forum rules about personal insults. PM me if you wish.

I was (with tongue in cheek) calling RA the JCL.

As for the FC United of Manchester comment Khobar and the rest of my mates disagree with me but that doesn't mean I am wrong. I am getting tired of supporting a club that thinks Chelsea is a brand, its supporters are in fact customers and that some of our "supporters" boo even though we are top of the league inspite of playing crap atm. I can understand booing but when we are top of the league? Mind you if the club treat us like customers then we can do what the hell we like because the customer is always right.

I agree with parts of this. And disagree. To compete, even at the bottom of the Premier League in 2009, CFC have to be a "brand" to some degree. There is no choice in that. I dont like it, but I dont like having my prostrate fingered by my doctor either - but as another 40plus CFC supporter, its just something I have come to accept! At the end of the day, it is still Chelsea FC. Just because Gourlay or Kenyon or whoever wants to call it a brand, it doesnt mean sh*t to me. Its Osgood, Hudson and Eddie Mac and nothing will ever change that. I would never consider myself a customer, I dont like the term "brand" in relation to toothpaste, let alone my club and I think booing your team is a bloody disgrace, even when Orient knock them out of the F.A.Cup... Modern life eh?

If you are going to Hull away pm me and we can meet up for a friendly chat to discuss further.

Haha. B*gger that - I'm alright in the West Lower with me prawn sarnies thanks!

ChelC   

No problem at all but the club dressing it up as RA being Mr Bountiful is ridiculous. It's only been done to get around FIFA. he wouldn't have done it otherwise would he?

I'm not saying RA out. Read the bottom of my post. Many many thanks to RA.

Ta Khobar, but I think chrisp was calling RA the JCL and not me. chrisp if you were calling me a JCL can I suggest that you refer to forum rules about personal insults. PM me if you wish.

As for the FC United of Manchester comment Khobar and the rest of my mates disagree with me but that doesn't mean I am wrong. I am getting tired of supporting a club that thinks Chelsea is a brand, its supporters are in fact customers and that some of our "supporters" boo even though we are top of the league inspite of playing crap atm. I can understand booing but when we are top of the league? Mind you if the club treat us like customers then we can do what the hell we like because the customer is always right.

If you are going to Hull away pm me and we can meet up for a friendly chat to discuss further.

if you are getting tired of supporting the club, you know the way out mate. you can close d door on your way too.

^ I think that's unfair ChelC. Surely he should be able to express his frustration at what he doesn't like and still not mean he has ended attachment to the club?

Nitro   

Signing John Sissons, loosing at Home to Carlisle, throwing money in buckets to save our club, they were great days but Roman has signed world greats, we have beaten the most prestigious teams in Europe on a regular basis and his money has stabilised Chelsea.

Romans in it for the long haul thank you Roman you have made some of my dreams come true.

Khobar   

Romans in it for the long haul thank you Roman you have made some of my dreams come true.

Mine too - not the one with the Nurse and the Nun though.

Nicholas   

To Hull and back? ....... Maybe a few of us can arrange a Chelsea day out when we can all match our diaries. Could be a blast (or end up in a mass brawl).

I reckon we'll witness a particularly engaging yet civil discourse on all matters CFC(net!) between:

Codger and Kelsi;

JP (as attentive as ever) and Bazza (if he deems it worthy enough to come out of retirement);

Hanuma and Kelsi;

DmwH and (or) v Kelsi and (or) v Bazza and (or) v TSDW. Now this is one I won't miss for the world!

What ARE you on about?

Any self respecting Chelsea fan knows we were never close to 'going under' or doing a Leeds.

We would have had to sell players sure, and probably sell off the Chelsea Village ( which wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world)

Your points are invalid anyway.

He didn't say the media is/never has been right.

So save us the long winded sarcastic reply....

Honestly, I've not seen any solid evidence that we were okay financially before Roman bought us. Indeed, JT and Lampard have both said that the club told them that unless we qualified for the CL in 02/03 then the bigger and better players would have to be sold and we would have gone downhill and be nowhere near where we are now. JT says it clearly on the official history made a few years ago. Whatever the truth, the reality is that had we not qualfied for the CL that year then the likes of JT and Lampard may have to have been sold, and Roman may not have bought us, and as I said we wouldn't be where we are now.

Therefore we should be thanking Roman, not criticizing him, which was really my point.

Always have to be the clever clogs don't we MT...? :-)

I reckon we'll witness a particularly engaging yet civil discourse on all matters CFC(net!) between:

Codger and Kelsi;

JP (as attentive as ever) and Bazza (if he deems it worthy enough to come out of retirement);

Hanuma and Kelsi;

DmwH and (or) v Kelsi and (or) v Bazza and (or) v TSDW. Now this is one I won't miss for the world!

Me and Bazza had our battles, but there was (believe it or not) mutual respect there. We chatted via e-mail a couple of times and made it clear to each other that it wasn't personal, after our first few arguments.

The one I had - and still have - the real gripe with is TSD - he was, quite frankly, an arrogant, self-important, self-righteous, cruel, vindictive, malicous, disgraceful and insecure person - a bully of the worst order who took pleasure out of insulting and attacking others malicously, and it made me angry that he got away with it and wasn't banned for life. It still does.

And don't think my coming out of retirement is going to last. I'm not going to be around on this site forever.

Honestly, I've not seen any solid evidence that we were okay financially before Roman bought us. Indeed, JT and Lampard have both said that the club told them that unless we qualified for the CL in 02/03 then the bigger and better players would have to be sold and we would have gone downhill and be nowhere near where we are now. JT says it clearly on the official history made a few years ago. Whatever the truth, the reality is that had we not qualfied for the CL that year then the likes of JT and Lampard may have to have been sold, and Roman may not have bought us, and as I said we wouldn't be where we are now.

Therefore we should be thanking Roman, not criticizing him, which was really my point.

As has been said, this issue has been done to death. The point is that, even before RA took over, we had already qualified for the CL, which already made us significantly healthier financially than before that game with Liverpool. Yes we owed a lot of money and a big repayment was due that summer, but we would have refinanced that - there was zero chance of the banks denying us funds. We owed £80m-odd (and had effectively banked £20m-odd by qualifying for the CL). Compare that with the levels of debt at Manure, Liverpool and Arsenal these days, which stand at over £1bn between them.

Our standing in the game, plus our location/ assets etc. made us a VERY attractive proposition for investors at a time when football was growing massively.