• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morla

Why The Hell Dont They Sell Beer On Champions League Games?

Had a quick check on Google and got this article regarding Portsmouth's UEFA game a few weeks ago:

...Under Uefa rules, clubs participating in its cup competitions cannot sell alcohol in the stands...

...A spokesman at Uefa headquarters in Switzerland said the policy had been in force since Euro 2000.

He said: 'It's a policy of Uefa that alcohol and sport don't match. Beer can be sold in stadiums, but only zero alcohol.' ...

Guessing they think beer can lead to violence/crowd problems etc (Euro 2000 had some pretty big crowd problems if I remember right, mostly in Belgium whereas the Dutch police were much better and interacted with the fans to make a better atmosphere, or the other way around).

In my opinion, the worst thing isn't them banning alcohol from Champions League and UEFA Cup matches, it's that one of their 4 main sponsors is Heineken. Complete hypocrisy, but that's just symbolic of the way the Champions League's going at the moment: anything for more money.

I went to Schalke last season and they were certainly selling beer pre match under the stand.

Are you sure it was not light beer "no alcohol"... Because when I went to Feyanoord a few seasons ago they were selling Blond beer which everyone was drinking and saying how great it was to be sold beer, whereas I worked in Holland and blond beer is a no alcohol beer...

I went to Schalke last season and they were certainly selling beer pre match under the stand.

They sell beer in Europe but it is non alcoholic. Think most people don't realise that it's non alcoholic as by time they have reached the ground they are far to p*ssed to to know any better! lol

Fair points lads. I didn't have any as you needed to buy vouchers and then queue up, so I couldn't be ar*ed. I'd had enough by then anyway!

They sell beer in Europe but it is non alcoholic. Think most people don't realise that it's non alcoholic as by time they have reached the ground they are far to p*ssed to to know any better! lol

:D It was a great night, Zero alcohol beer and zero entertainment football.

Are you sure it was not light beer "no alcohol"... Because when I went to Feyanoord a few seasons ago they were selling Blond beer which everyone was drinking and saying how great it was to be sold beer, whereas I worked in Holland and blond beer is a no alcohol beer...

Blond beer is not alcohol free as standard it only refers to the colour, but itcan be bought in low alcohol versions like most main beer brands.

That said it often was alcohol free in feyenoord but you always suspected the kids buying it were none the wiser and like the placebo effect of fake tablets they were convincing themselves they were getting drunk.....Some may say, they were also convincing themselves they were being served great football!