OzzyCFC

Non Chelsea: Premier League

11,868 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Cascarino writing in the Times thinks one of the main problems was their poor recruitment this season.

A quick look on the net and I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Walsh_(scout

Steve Walsh recruited Vardy. Mahrez and Kante for the 2015-2016 yet left the club at the end of the season for Everton.

Of course this does not explain everything by any means yet is interesting.

I thought they might struggle this season though never be in the position they face now. I just wonder if the unexpected success went to the players heads, You know such as with the talk of a film coming out about Vardy.

I know from a second-hand source that the recruitment policy at Leicester isn't resting on one man. 

They have a well-grounded methodology that extends beyond individuals. I'd say Walsh leaving has had a minuscule impact overall. 

8 hours ago, Jasonb said:

You are correct he did and found Didier Drogba and Gianfranco Zola.

Jose wanted to sign Drogba for Porto before his big break season with Marseille. Other clubs were interested as well. 

Finding Zola is hardly praise for any scout. He was Diego Maradonas understudy at Napoli. Any scout who didn't know of these two players can hardly be worthy of the title. 

^To be fair to jasonb, I think he has cut and pasted from Wikipedia, rather than chosen the word "found" deliberately.  

And equally, while Zola or Drogba were certainly known by the managers at the time, the scout still has an important role in recommending when to bid heavily for a target, and when to stick to a base price and no more.  There were plenty of other known targets we might have gone for. 

Thank you Droy.

Yes 'found' was a poor choice of words.

'Recommended' would have been better.

Just watching united against Sunderland...

if jose has the cheek to say his team aren't getting there fair share of luck, he only needs to watch a re run of the first half.

penalty not given to Sunderland, and then 2 mins later Larsen sent off when he clearly wins the ball, OK his follow through caught the United player but anyone who's played football knows you can't just stop dead.

the United player then rolls around like he's been shot and one of if not the worse ref in the premiership (Pawson) couldn't wait to get the red out.

into injury time spuds 0-1 down 

ICONIQ Capital said to be preparing a bid for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Should we warn them that its a football club not a bottling company?

6 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

ICONIQ Capital said to be preparing a bid for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Should we warn them that its a football club not a bottling company?

Nice one, Cyril! ;-)

Not sure where to post this or if I even should, but PLEASE, Jermain Defoe, SPOTY????

Obviously the Bradley Lowery story has been heartbreaking.  He was such a brave little boy with a fighting spirit and as a mother I feel so much for his parents.  No child should have to endure what he did.

But tragically this isn't a one off and to my mind Jermain Defoe was just doing what any decent human being would do.  It's ridiculous to make him into some sort of hero.  There are plenty of sportspeople who do similar things without all this publicity.  We are getting so 'mawkish' and it deflects from the private and what must be unbearable grief of his family.

RIP Bradley.  

8 hours ago, JaneB said:

Not sure where to post this or if I even should, but PLEASE, Jermain Defoe, SPOTY????

Obviously the Bradley Lowery story has been heartbreaking.  He was such a brave little boy with a fighting spirit and as a mother I feel so much for his parents.  No child should have to endure what he did.

But tragically this isn't a one off and to my mind Jermain Defoe was just doing what any decent human being would do.  It's ridiculous to make him into some sort of hero.  There are plenty of sportspeople who do similar things without all this publicity.  We are getting so 'mawkish' and it deflects from the private and what must be unbearable grief of his family.

RIP Bradley.  

Seeing as Bradley scored for Sunderland against Chelsea could be not be SPOTY himself? 

He's the real inspiration here with all due respect to Defoe.