• Current Donation Goals

OzzyCFC

Non Chelsea: Premier League

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/newcastle/next-permanent-manager
The short odds are for
Eddie Howe  (odds around 3/1 mostly)

Conte   and Gerrard    (both around 4/1)

Howe seems an odd choice as his background is with a low budget.  Perhaps though he has been kept on the sidelines as he resigned when Bournemouth went down in 2020.

Conte on the other hand shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football budget, especially a big one.  Conte is a great coach so Conte working on the Current Newcastle squad might make them top 6 contenders (more pain for Arsenal and Spurs).   Whereas Conte with a Saudi budget would make them ... ... top 6 contenders.

Gerrard.  Really can't comment on him.  Even I recognise my inability to talk sensibly about Gerrard.

It's funny reading online comments from fans of clubs claiming they would stop supporting Arsenal, Munich, Lazio, Liverpool etc. if they were brought by Saudis, Qataris, UAE etc.

It's easy to say from their moral high ground isn't it. 

chara   

Citeh went through a few managers before Pep..upgrading mostly but I can't see Newcastle's new overlords (or is it overSheikhs?) going for Howe who for all the talk about bright young star is unproven at a Top level..what is considered success at B'mouth is not acceptable at ,say, Citeh. Droy's jockey analogy , annoying though it may be to some, is about right. 

Conte?...not sure that would work  at St James.....doesn't strike me as a long term manager..as in present context..not the SAF  model..

Regardless of "moral" outrage etc etc it will be interesting to see how the saga unfolds.....given that Chelsea was Mk1 and Citeh Mk2.throw in PSG as Mk 3.the "serious" heavy acquisitions...how the MK4 will work out in a progressive way should keep the Media occupied for a long time and keep some light away from Chelsea bashing and a plus ..the Mersey Mucky Love In...less Kloppy YNWA drooling will be a plus!

Like Droy I too recognise my inability to discuss Gerrard in a sensible way..or even take seriously.....a slip of judgement on my part!..(snigger)

My dream is the bar codes steal Klippety from the dippers , it may just finish Tyler off if we're lucky.

• Haha 1

chara   
5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

My dream is the bar codes steal Klippety from the dippers , it may just finish Tyler off if we're lucky.

What about TT from Chelsea ?..Pep from Citeh?...etc...all possible...BUT I do wonder if an adult coach would go to Newcastle under a regime that for all it's pious talk will not accept less than stellar results...as any $$$$ investment group should approach an investment...... I do not know enough about PSG..or really care....but I do think under Roman ChelseaFC has gone from an investment to a loved possesion...as indeed I feel the Citeh rulers have a similar attitude towards their acquisition...the Newcastle purchase seems to have undertones of a much darker kind.

I genuinely feel pleased for a grass roots base of real football fans although as mentioned before I have no soft spot for Newcastle but they are a real Football Club with a history and an essential part of the games fabric in the UK...as are ALL clubs at every level.....the adolescent claims of the scouse children that only LFC have any real "history" is beneath acknowledgment by every true football aficionado as opposed to club "watchers"....the "peoples club" contingent....if indeed they exist!

IF Newcastle do become a succesful SuperClub I for one welcome it......we have a nominal moveable top six clubs.....effectively four at the moment ....and adding more competition whilst maybe dimming some of the top club glory can only be good for the game.....very rarely in other Leagues do the underdogs lay a glove on the top one or two clubs...in the EPL if the the top clubs lose concentration or take relegation fodder for granted they pay a price.....

As ever..interesting times ahead......any bets/suggestions on the first transfer in at St James?....no book on departures!!!!!!

An odd afterthought.....wonder if the Saudi interest would have still been there if they had had time to assess the Barca situation..??

Edited by chara

49 minutes ago, chara said:

An odd afterthought.....wonder if the Saudi interest would have still been there if they had had time to assess the Barca situation..??

Nice thought but there are two Barca risks.
One is that Catalonia leaves Spain, leaving Barca in a domestic league of 2.
The other is that Catalonia doesn't leave but does enough to annoy the rest of Spain, so that the Spanish FA chooses to treat Barca unfairly.

But before that you have to find out who you can actually buy it from, Wiki:
Along with Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, and Osasuna, Barcelona is organised as a registered association. Unlike a limited company, it is not possible to purchase shares in the club, but only membership.[204] The members of Barcelona, called socis, form an assembly of delegates which is the highest governing body of the club.[205] As of 2016, the club has 140,000 socis.[206]

and even then there is an EUR 1 billion debt to take care of.
The best they could do would be some kind of full on sponsorship.  From Unicef to Saudi.  Pretty much what I think every time Olivia Coleman appears on my FB feed asking for support for starving Yemenis.

Meanwhile step 1 for Ranieri in 2003 was to challenge for league and CL.  We had that mad summer of transfers to strengthen the squad after a 4th place finish.  So 2nd place and a Semi-final was seen as a disappointment.
But step 1 for Newcastle will be to avoid relegation.  No new players till Jan (and expensive rubbish then, to be discarded 6 months later I expect.  They have shipped in 16 goals in 7 games and gained 3 draws and 4 defeats.  Despite playing all the 4 teams in places 15-19 (and they are 19th) and only Man U from the top 8.  It is a desperate situation for them, and every player knows he is not playing for his future in the team or his team's place in the Prem next season.

Edited by Droy was my hero

chara   
34 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Nice thought but there are two Barca risks.
One is that Catalonia leaves Spain, leaving Barca in a domestic league of 2.
The other is that Catalonia doesn't leave but does enough to annoy the rest of Spain, so that the Spanish FA chooses to treat Barca unfairly.

But before that you have to find out who you can actually buy it from, Wiki:
Along with Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, and Osasuna, Barcelona is organised as a registered association. Unlike a limited company, it is not possible to purchase shares in the club, but only membership.[204] The members of Barcelona, called socis, form an assembly of delegates which is the highest governing body of the club.[205] As of 2016, the club has 140,000 socis.[206]

and even then there is an EUR 1 billion debt to take care of.
The best they could do would be some kind of full on sponsorship.  From Unicef to Saudi.  Pretty much what I think every time Olivia Coleman appears on my FB feed asking for support for starving Yemenis.

Meanwhile step 1 for Ranieri in 2003 was to challenge for league and CL.  We had that mad summer of transfers to strengthen the squad after a 4th place finish.  So 2nd place and a Semi-final was seen as a disappointment.
But step 1 for Newcastle will be to avoid relegation.  No new players till Jan (and expensive rubbish then, to be discarded 6 months later I expect.  They have shipped in 16 goals in 7 games and gained 3 draws and 4 defeats.  Despite playing all the 4 teams in places 15-19 (and they are 19th) and only Man U from the top 8.  It is a desperate situation for them, and every player knows he is not playing for his future in the team or his team's place in the Prem next season.

Thanks Droy...it was an afterthought entirely re Barca... interesting points indeed....

Another..not thought through I warn you....what if Newcastle do get relegated?....not an unreasonable scenario although I suspect they would survive ..just....without the takeover.....will be a bit like turning around the QM liner..in it's day...ultimately do able but SLOW>>>>>

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, chara said:

Another..not thought through I warn you....what if Newcastle do get relegated?.

Well if teams didn't want to beat Newcastle before, they will certainly be fired up now.  Could be fun to watch them sink.
In the meantime, Barkley is available in January.
But if I were Rudiger, I wouldn't sign my next contract until I knew what newcastle are offering me to rescue them.

JaneB   

Rumours of Super Frank to Newcastle?

Noooooooooooooooooooo, such a bad idea for any number of reasons.

Don't do it Frank.

12 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Rumours of Super Frank to Newcastle?

Noooooooooooooooooooo, such a bad idea for any number of reasons.

Don't do it Frank.

He'll have to learn how to coach defending if he ever wants to manage at a high level again. Ideal job for that.

• Like 1