• Current Donation Goals

OzzyCFC

Non Chelsea: Premier League

I'd say Manchester United and Liverpool are very far ahead of everyone in England in terms of biggest club, with Arsenal a fair bit behind in 3rd.

Nonsense. Manchester United are far ahead of everyone else, Liverpool are nowhere near them. Chelsea are the 2nd biggest club in England, Arsenal 3rd with Liverpool a long way behind as the 4th biggest club in the country.

I doubt you'd find many non-Chelsea supporters saying you're a bigger club than Liverpool, but if you've been more successful the past 5 years why should you care?

How are we not a bigger club than Liverpool? We compete for and win trophies every year and can attract world class players. You haven't won anything since 2006 and sell all your best players (Owen, Fowler, Torres, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, etc). Even Torres said that Chelsea are the bigger club.

Edited by TorresTheBlue

Liverlad   

Nonsense. Manchester United are far ahead of everyone else, Liverpool are nowhere near them. Chelsea are the 2nd biggest club in England, Arsenal 3rd with Liverpool a long way behind as the 4th biggest club in the country.

How are we not a bigger club than Liverpool? We compete for and win trophies every year and can attract world class players. You haven't won anything since 2006 and sell all your best players (Owen, Fowler, Torres, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, etc). Even Torres said that Chelsea are the bigger club.

Reread the post you've taken the quotes from and you'll find the answers. Then read Sleeping Dave's post from straight after it. Why do you think Alex Ferguson always says this is the biggest game of the season for United regardless where the clubs are in the league? How are Chelsea not a bigger club than Liverpool? Mainly because Liverpool have a much larger worldwide and UK fan base, add that to considerably more honours won, bigger stadium and all the things mentioned earlier etc.

Regarding Torres: http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/England/2011/02/08/2343356/fernando-torres-admits-liverpool-are-a-bigger-club-than

He said Chelsea were a bigger club when he signed but then cleared that up by saying Liverpool are a bigger club but he'd have better chances of winning things at Chelsea. I assume you aren't able to grasp that concept as you seem to be very much of the opinion "I'll look at the league table and then that order is who the biggest clubs are". Did you suddenly become a bigger club than Liverpool when you won the league in 05? Then did we become bigger than you in 09 because we finished above you, and then you became bigger again last season?

Edited by Liverlad

Of course he would say that when we have spent 50 million on. Hardly going to get off of the wrong foot is he with the fans and the club.

How are Chelsea not a bigger club than Liverpool? Mainly because Liverpool have a much larger worldwide and UK fan base, add that to considerably more honours won, bigger stadium and all the things mentioned earlier etc.

I agree Liverpool are bigger in the great scheme of things, due to being, up until recently, the most successful team in England and being the most successful English team in Europe (we did win a European trophy before you though ;)). But I don't think anybody can deny that at the moment, Us and Man U are currently the best two teams in the country.

About the bit in bold,

Since seating yes, but come on, by 3,000 seats....

I could be wrong, but wasn't Stamford Bridge the 2nd biggest in the country at one point, 2nd behind Crystal Palace?

Also, record attendances;

Stamford Bridge: 82,905 Chelsea v Arsenal 1935 (According to wiki, many events exceeded 100,000)

Anfield: 61,905 Liverpool v Wolves 1952

Liverlad   

But I don't think anybody can deny that at the moment, Us and Man U are currently the best two teams in the country.

Arsenal would probably argue that, but regardless, this is probably one of the most important points related to this discussion. I certainly can't deny that Chelsea are a better team than Liverpool at the moment, but that's probably where some people are arguing about who's the bigger club. Being a better team and a bigger club are two very different things. Who would you put your money on if they were drawn together in the cup, Fulham or Leeds Utd? Maybe Fulham but I certainly wouldn't say they are a bigger club than Leeds. I'd say Chelsea have the best squad in the league as well, probably in the top 4 in Europe.

Liverpool is a bigger club than Chelsea in the same way that England is a bigger country than the United States or than India.

She loves you, yeah yeah yeah

Why do you think Alex Ferguson always says this is the biggest game of the season for United regardless where the clubs are in the league? How are Chelsea not a bigger club than Liverpool?

Because Liverpool are Manchester United local rival.

Mainly because Liverpool have a much larger worldwide and UK fan base

Are you sure about that? Have you got a link to prove it?

add that to considerably more honours won

Stop living in the past, Liverpool haven't won a major trophy since their lucky win in the 2006 FA Cup Final against West Ham.

bigger stadium and all the things mentioned earlier etc.

What's that got to do with anything? Sunderland have a bigger stadium than both of us but it would be foolish to say that they are a bigger club than Chelsea or Liverpool.

Regarding Torres: http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/England/2011/02/08/2343356/fernando-torres-admits-liverpool-are-a-bigger-club-than

"I'll look at the league table and then that order is who the biggest clubs are". Did you suddenly become a bigger club than Liverpool when you won the league in 05? Then did we become bigger than you in 09 because we finished above you, and then you became bigger again last season?

When a club can consistantly compete for the league title and other cups they are a big club. I admit Liverpool were a big club in the past but they aren't anymore becuase they don't consistantly challenge for the title season after season. One fluke 2nd place finish doesn't mean your a big club again.

Liverlad   

Stop living in the past, Liverpool haven't won a major trophy since their lucky win in the 2006 FA Cup Final

I know and we haven't been in a Champions League Final for coming up to 4 whole years! Living in the past? But that's part of the history of a club, you know, something that's pretty important in a club's status and part of the whole reasoning behind being a 'big club'. Do you just take the past 5 years into account when thinking about how big a football club is? In a few years are your titles from 05 and 06 not going to count anymore as part of Chelsea FC as it'd be living in the past? No because they'll be part of your club and what you achieved and play a part in how 'big' a club you are. Liverpool are so big worldwide because of the success we've had, and no doubt Chelsea's global fan base has increased a lot since you started winning things.

I'm assuming you've left that in there by accident.

Typical debate that not many will admit defeat in. Dave and LiverLad are largely right in saying that it's a history of trophies, fan base, current team/successes.

You can't say that because Liverpool haven't won anything from '06 they're not a big club anymore. If it turns into 10/15years of being totally out of the picture then you may start to argue that.

It's all relative - if Liverpool don't challenge for honours for the next 10/15 years their fanbase (their fickel/JCL fanbase) will decrease - it's all relative.

I do have a bone of contention when people call Newcastle a big club though - as that's based purely on fanbase =)

Edited by davies_cfc