• Current Donation Goals

OzzyCFC

Non Chelsea: Premier League

"I did not accept Arsenal's offer for Demba Ba because added to their signing of Ozil, they would have been title contenders," Mourinho said, according to reports in several newspapers.

Mourinho, who managed Ozil at Real Madrid, was full of praise for the German international and compared him to some of the greatest to ever grace the Bernabeu.

"Ozil is unique, there is no copy of him, not even a bad one," he said.

"He is the best No. 10 in the world. He made things easier for me and his team-mates with his vision of the game and the decisions that he made.

"Everybody loves him and you can see a bit of Figo and Zidane in him."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/235181.html#hKRoWZZcKkDXQLzC.99

Mourinho basically repeating what I posted about Özil earlier.

At least ESPN had the good sense to change the tense in the old Mourinho interview they used to give credence to the made up Demba Ba quote doing the rounds. The Mail and Metro didn't even have to bother for their readership to lap it up.

Jose has been telling everyone who'll listen that Arsenal (along with Spurs and Liverpool) are title challengers for months now.

As pathetic a PR ploy as the idea that we bought Willian because we're terrified of Spurs.

Edited by thevelourfog

Harvz   

As pathetic a PR ploy as the idea that we bought Willian because we're terrified of Spurs.

With respect to the difference between 'terrified' and 'wary'... am I the only one that doesn't think it's ridiculous to be wary enough of a rival that you block them financially while strengthening your squad in the same action? If we did actually factor Spurs' shopping list into our own acquisition, and for example, went for Willian rather than an equivalent who was not on their radar, I'd actually applaud the tactics and the guile to pull it off. They're not going to win the league, but we might not either.

Harvz   

With respect to the difference between 'terrified' and 'wary'... am I the only one that doesn't think it's ridiculous to be wary enough of a rival that you block them financially while strengthening your squad in the same action? If we did actually factor Spurs' shopping list into our own acquisition, and for example, went for Willian rather than an equivalent who was not on their radar, I'd actually applaud the tactics and the guile to pull it off. They're not going to win the league, but we might not either.

hanuma   

Oh well if you believe the press stories you are bound to be disappointed by whatever Man U (or Liverpool) do.

If your a hack you write day dreams for those clubs and nightmares for Chelsea - after all that is what they think the readers want.

I don't think you've quite been paying attention: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/336986/Manchester-United-fans-call-for-Ed-Woodward-to-be-sacked http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-edward-woodward-admits-2253711 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10282469/Humiliation-for-Manchester-United-as-new-chief-executive-Ed-Woodward-learns-the-hard-way.html

Man Utd were slapstick in their open briefings of the press, their use of Daniel Taylor as a media shill, their failed attempts to attract Thiago ("see you in Manchester") or Fabregas ("not even if they tripled my wages"), their perverse bidding process for Fellaini and Baines, their inability to complete a deal for Coentrao (or Herrera). All the time ensuring that everyone knows without question that Cleverley, Kagawa and Buttner aren't quite good enough, while Rooney is jack of all trades and master of none.

The rest of the league has improved far more than they have, now lacking the one great talismanic figure that ensured a generally average group of players consistently overachieved. Ferguson WAS Man Utd, do well for him or you're out the door. Moyes? Expendable.

I don't think you've quite been paying attention: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/336986/Manchester-United-fans-call-for-Ed-Woodward-to-be-sacked http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-edward-woodward-admits-2253711 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10282469/Humiliation-for-Manchester-United-as-new-chief-executive-Ed-Woodward-learns-the-hard-way.html

Man Utd were slapstick in their open briefings of the press, their use of Daniel Taylor as a media shill, their failed attempts to attract Thiago ("see you in Manchester") or Fabregas ("not even if they tripled my wages"), their perverse bidding process for Fellaini and Baines, their inability to complete a deal for Coentrao (or Herrera). All the time ensuring that everyone knows without question that Cleverley, Kagawa and Buttner aren't quite good enough, while Rooney is jack of all trades and master of none.

The rest of the league has improved far more than they have, now lacking the one great talismanic figure that ensured a generally average group of players consistently overachieved. Ferguson WAS Man Utd, do well for him or you're out the door. Moyes? Expendable.

I still think that a lot of the players supposed to be on Man U's buy list never were there (or never on the short list).

And I doubt the bidding for Fellaini was ever as bad as supposed. Did they ever really care about Baines? What really went on with Fellaini's loyalty bonus - since he went past the deadline, I presume he got it - making the higher priced deal just as good for Man U/Fellaini as the buy-out clause.

I suspect that without SAF around, the press have just felt freer to make stuff up about Man U in the same way they have always done it with us. The key difference being they just knock us down and fail to correct where they have gone wrong, whereas with Man U they build them up with lies first, and then knock them for failing to reach the press's own bullshit expectations.

But something has gone wrong at Man U I agree - the story, undenied, that Man U had a choice and preferred Moyes to JM is just so ridiculous that only a lunatic could have told it.

hanuma   

I still think that a lot of the players supposed to be on Man U's buy list never were there (or never on the short list).

And I doubt the bidding for Fellaini was ever as bad as supposed. Did they ever really care about Baines? What really went on with Fellaini's loyalty bonus - since he went past the deadline, I presume he got it - making the higher priced deal just as good for Man U/Fellaini as the buy-out clause.

I suspect that without SAF around, the press have just felt freer to make stuff up about Man U in the same way they have always done it with us. The key difference being they just knock us down and fail to correct where they have gone wrong, whereas with Man U they build them up with lies first, and then knock them for failing to reach the press's own bullshit expectations.

But something has gone wrong at Man U I agree - the story, undenied, that Man U had a choice and preferred Moyes to JM is just so ridiculous that only a lunatic could have told it.

Why wouldn't they be on their shortlist? Why wouldn't the biggest English club have a long list of possible upgrades on very clear weaknesses in their squad? It makes absolutely perfect sense to me, and it's irrefutable that they wanted a leftback (Baines or Coentrao), an attacking midfielder (Thiago and Fabregas) and another central midfielder (Herrera and Felaini). Deals for Coentrao, Thiago and Herrera were all but completed, no denials have ever been issued by Utd. As far as I'm concerned they've blown this summer transfer window and probably their chances of winning major silverware this season.

Jedini   

Nothing new there in Manchester... Scum getting rewarded for their theatrics. Absolutely the same challenge as the one that involved Ivanovic last season. No contact whatsoever, and outside of the box too, but they all fold under the pressure, so why would Jon Moss be any different, right? Disgusting.

From the Guardian Live commentary

50 min: "I've supported United for over thirty years and have never known us have such an embarrassing out-and-out cheat in the side as Ashley Young," writes Ben Vallance. "He disgusts me and I dearly wish the club would wake up to how damaging it is to its reputation to employ someone with that level of amorality and they should then try and do the right thing by moving him on ASAP. It might help if the media shone a spotlight on players like him, but he's currently benefiting (like Gerrard before him) on the England player immunity from criticism of diving."

I can't help thinking that the ref, having made one decision against Man U (correctly) felt he had to make one for them before half time.

More of the same