• Current Donation Goals

OzzyCFC

Non Chelsea: Champions League

Karan   

Wilshere was excellent today.

He's playing Barcelona 90 minutes, while Josh is taking on the West Ham Reserves on the same day. Shows the difference in progress between the two players at the moment.

Would Wilshere have made that amount of progress or even given the opportunity to do so if he was at us instead of Arsenal?

This is actually quite ridiculous.

Wilshere is 19 and has been a part of Arsenal's squad for atleast two seasons (starting from 2008/09) and this is the season where he's really come into prominence. Over the last 2 seasons he's been given appearances in the Carling Cup, FA Cup and CL games (not too disimilar to McEachran) and it was a loan move to Bolton for half a season that has given him the relevant experience. FWIW he played in 8 games for Arsenal in the 08/09 season, and 7 in the first half of the 2009/10 season. At Bolton he played 14 games for them for half a season.

McEachran turns 18 in March and for his age, and given our squad situation, I'd say he's done well to even get 14 appearances* for the first team. He's only been with the first team squad for 7 months, and he's barely completed a season. Yet, people on here are keen to compare their experience levels or progress, when they're currently in completely different situations.

I know negativity is the theme of the hour and its cathartic to have a good moan about Chelsea's situation, but sometimes a degree of patience and common sense is needed.

*At the start of the season how many expected him to make even 5 appearances let alone 14?

Karan   

Arsenal seemed to have improved quite a bit this season and yesterday it showed. That said Barcelona were quite complacent themselves and looked frail defensively at times.

Pique & Puyol's absence may be a vital factor for Arsenal at the Nou Camp. But I still see Barcelona getting through somehow.

Very well done Arsenal they were very good. I felt Villa going off helped Arsenal massively as the pressure Villa was putting on their back line and also how wary they where of him cost them.

Second leg will be a walk over for Barcelona, Arsenal won't have a hope in hell.

pinoy   

Very well done Arsenal they were very good. I felt Villa going off helped Arsenal massively as the pressure Villa was putting on their back line and also how wary they where of him cost them.

Second leg will be a walk over for Barcelona, Arsenal won't have a hope in hell.

I agree, I think it was probably the worst thing arsenal could have done was to win this game, because now I think barca will not mess around at the camp nou and just batter arsenal. Whereas if arsenal had lost or drew I think barca would have played similar to how they played in the second half just keeping possesion and not really doing much with it, which could have allowed arsenal to do what they done last night a catch barca on the break, but now I can't see that happening I think it will be similar to last season another messi masterclass and a comfortable win for barca.

You will not see Barcelona miss the chances they did last night in the Nou Camp, I guarantee it.

You may not see Barca missing the easy ones and Messi getting himself in a bit of tangle with himself, but we may all see Arsenal scoring a few themselves.Given that moral is high, both their forwards; Van Persie and Arshavin have scored goals and they scored/got lucky in the last half of the game, whereby the momentun and moral stays with Arsenal. This and the fact that their choicest two defenders may be out for the next match.

I dont really want Arsenal to go through, as whatever may happen after that , we would never hear the end of their song and dance all over media. Unfortunately the tie remains very much balanced or tipping in favour of Gooners. Actually if I can stretch this a little longer and as I dont rate Wenger as high as some people do, may I suggest that unless Wenger is a complete ponce totally devoid of reason and unable to organize his team well defensively, add more responsibility on the midfield to defend and keep the formation, and allow his forward lineup to keep the ball better, this game is Arsenal's to lose. If I was Arsene I would be looking at the Barca vs Inter match from last year and his match from today. Key defenders out, one, two away goals and that is the end of Barca. I still hope they lose; open and honest dislike towards Arsenal, I hope there is no criminal law which makes me guilty of disrespecting The Footballing Gods of England.

You will not see Barcelona miss the chances they did last night in the Nou Camp, I guarantee it.

I bloody hope you're right!

If they get through and I have to hear Arsene Wenger saying how great his side were and how they 'beat Barcelona at their own game' and that 'this is how football should be played' I will be physically sick.

As angry as I was with Mourinho's Inter last season for some of their scandalous timewasting and gamesmanship at the Bridge, I absolutely LOVED what they did to Barcelona in the Nou Camp - THAT for me was football, with a great attacking side versus a brilliantly organised defensive side.

I actually didn't think it was a fantastic game to watch last night, particularly in the second half. The first 45 minutes were entertaining enough but Barcelona's pretentiousness reached new heights with their pointless possession in the second.

Why can't both sides lose this tie? Fingers crossed Arsenal get crushed in the second leg and that they have such an eye on that second leg now that they lose the Carling Cup final to a driven Birmingham side raising their game for one match. If that happens it will make my season regardless of what happens with us to an extent. If Arsenal remain trophyless again it will be beautiful.

Edited by Chelsea-Till-I-Die

This is no way intended to take away any gloss from Arsenal's win but I actually thought Barca where poor. I mean they played lovely keep ball and neat triangles but that is the usual Barca we see anyway.

Edited by Budgeezer

This is no way intended to take away any gloss from Arsenal's win but I actually thought Barca where poor. I mean they played lovely keep ball and neat triangles but that is the usual Barca we see anyway.

They were extremely poor. Every time they attacked with pace they looked dangerous but I think Guardiola got complacent and was happy with 1-0. In the second half, for all of their neat passing, they were negative, laborious and a bit arrogant. They almost seemed to think that they had already won and wanted to see how many passes they could get in one match. A few times there were clear openings but they chose to play a shorter pass and end up going backwards. Tyldesley and co. seemed to buy it but for me they were below par. People bang on about how much pressure they put on the ball when they haven't got it but a good number of times Wilshere or Fabregas found themselves behind their midfield running at the Barca back four.

Also they look very suspect in the back and Valdes was awful, especially for the first goal.

Right... Can soneone explain to me how Drogba got a three game ban for his "it's a f*cking disgrace" comments after the Barca game in 2009 when this is their policy?

"Uefa's disciplinary code calls for a ban of at least one European match for 'unsporting conduct', but at least three for 'assaulting players or others present at the match.'"

Must have been because he was already in the dog house for "assaulting" Vidic in the 2008 Champions League final?