• Current Donation Goals

OzzyCFC

Non Chelsea: Champions League

Holymoly   
6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Elbows, pretending to fall over so you can get the ball back "accidentally" , feigning injury, crowding the refs, breaking up counter attacks by fouling and then "accidentally coming off worse and rolling around" , randomly sniped, etc etc etc

More than a club?

More like a collective of entitled cheats.

Beloved of UEFA. The Leicester City of European football, can do no wrong and expects everyone to love them for their "Corinthian" spirit.

Bollocks, they lost. Move on.

27 minutes ago, bluecueball said:

Most of the time I think your opinions are well thought-out, or at the very least thought provoking, but I completely disagree on Atletico. They are better than all of these teams (current top 10):

They are better in the CL !

In the Spanish league  AM have dropped 10 points in 26 games against the bottom 16 teams so far, and dropped 13 in 6 games against other members of the top 4.  Basically they have been pretty crap against the other 2 or 3 PL level teams in that league.

Does anyone here watch Spanish football apart from games involving 2 of the big 3?  Any one watching willing to tell us how it compares with PL football?

What I agree with is that the Spanish league isn't as strong as the Prem - no argument from me there. In fact as a product, whilst technically inferior, the Prem is utterly captivating. I could watch any match between any two teams and not get bored. Conversely, I do really struggle with watching incidental La Liga games all the way through. 

BUT

I just don't see how Atletico would be a bottom-half Prem team even, as you say, having dropped points against the smaller sides. They just beat Barca fairly over 2 legs who, we are all agreed, are a top European side. Atletico would probably beat Citeh and they'd absolutely trounce us, and we're one of the form teams in 2016!

2 minutes ago, bluecueball said:

What I agree with is that the Spanish league isn't as strong as the Prem - no argument from me there. In fact as a product, whilst technically inferior, the Prem is utterly captivating. I could watch any match between any two teams and not get bored. Conversely, I do really struggle with watching incidental La Liga games all the way through. 

BUT

I just don't see how Atletico would be a bottom-half Prem team even, as you say, having dropped points against the smaller sides. They just beat Barca fairly over 2 legs who, we are all agreed, are a top European side. Atletico would probably beat Citeh and they'd absolutely trounce us, and we're one of the form teams in 2016!

I saw a table recently about 2016 form, Leicester spurs and Southampton are above us and 2 or 3 clubs within a few points, including Swansea.

My point about AM though is that they have dropped very few points against the smaller sides at all.  They have flat tracked their way through an easy league and then struggled against the good teams.  This is an organised well managed team, but not a strong one.  They beat PSV in the last round only on penalties.

I very much doubt the PL is technically inferior.  Just played at a pace that makes technique harder to show.  The best Spanish players go to just 23 teams, where as PL rejects like Kakuta become ever-present at mid table Spanish clubs.

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Elbows, pretending to fall over so you can get the ball back "accidentally" , feigning injury, crowding the refs, breaking up counter attacks by fouling and then "accidentally coming off worse and rolling around" , randomly sniped, etc etc etc

More than a club?

More like a collective of entitled cheats.

How many of their players surrounded that ref and got right in his face after penalty claim. We would have been hung drawn and quartered for that. Jeez we get hung drawn and quartered for looking at the ref in 'a funny way'. 

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

They are better in the CL !

In the Spanish league  AM have dropped 10 points in 26 games against the bottom 16 teams so far, and dropped 13 in 6 games against other members of the top 4.  Basically they have been pretty crap against the other 2 or 3 PL level teams in that league.

Does anyone here watch Spanish football apart from games involving 2 of the big 3?  Any one watching willing to tell us how it compares with PL football?

Are you seriously suggesting that you are watching PL football if Chelsea or one of the other top four (traditional) isn't involved? On a regular basis? 

I was flicking between the Barca-Atletico game and the Palace-Everton game yesterday. It was like flicking between a PL game and a League One game. 

The difference in quality is enormous. I don't care how much money Everton and Palace has. They aren't able to transform it to be as good as continental sides with European pedigree and history. The best players wants to play CL football regularly. Only a handful of English sides can offer that. And they can't compete for the very, very best players anyways. 

Look at United. Look at the players they bought last season and look at how much they paid. Insanity.  

Looking forward to seeing how Leicester fare in next year's CL. I'd agree that an early exit seems more than likely and, if what you say is correct, it'll be all over by Trafalgar day - but will it? I'm not convinced. English and continental football have always seemed like different games to me - at least since the 70s - but perhaps there is life in the old dog yet (and I don't mean 'Arry). I still prefer watching English football to continental, despite the greater skill levels over the channel.

Totally agree on the difference in quality  of play between last night's PL and CL matches (tonight will be light relief - bring on Kloppo and his Krazy Kop Klowns).

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Are you seriously suggesting that you are watching PL football if Chelsea or one of the other top four (traditional) isn't involved? On a regular basis? 

I was flicking between the Barca-Atletico game and the Palace-Everton game yesterday. It was like flicking between a PL game and a League One game. 

??  Interesting that you were flicking between the two - a massive CL QF between big rivals and with the result still up for grabs for a long time, and a 12th vs 16th PL game with no chance of reward or relegation for either.  Why?

You aren't English as far as I recall, and not long ago you weren't in Britain either if I recall.

Certainly I don't watch any non-chelsea football other than the odd MOTD skipped through for 2 games and the Chelsea review. But here in Poland an awful lot of people do.  You only have to look at the ads for cable TV - it is all about the Prem.  I bet the same is true in Scandanavia and the rest of Europe.  After all we know which leagues get most money from overseas TV.  

On quality of play, neither Luis or Savic distinguished themselves in their spells in the prem, while squad members Torres and Tiago are long past being PL standard.  By contrast AM do have a long history of losing very very good players to the Prem and other top teams, usually within 24 months.

The best players want to be watched - and they get watched in the Prem.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

??  Interesting that you were flicking between the two - a massive CL QF between big rivals and with the result still up for grabs for a long time, and a 12th vs 16th PL game with no chance of reward or relegation for either.  Why?

The best players want to be watched - and they get watched in the Prem.

First part - the games weren't starting and ending at the same time. 

Second part - so the good players are better off at playing on the continent for big clubs with stadiums bigger than the English ones then I presume?

Atletico at present are miles better than any team in the Premier League this season. I have no love for them but I enormously admire their defensive application - I.e. they actually defend properly(!!!) unlike this absurd obsession with ball-playing CBs in many other teams which is driving me mad watching it.

Hopefully Atletico will win the CL (despite me enjoying that we've won it and they haven't) as the other 3 options are dreadful, particularly Man City, who I fully expect to beat Real Madrid and reach the final.