OzzyCFC

Non Chelsea: Champions League

4,188 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Just realised Leicester City is the only English club going to the quarterfinals.

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Arsenal, City and Spurs😂😂😂

Tottenham got knocked out by Leverkusen and Monaco. Believing the resident expert, Spurs got knocked out by Championship sides. Arsenal got spanked 10-2 by Bayern and City also got knocked out by a Championship side Monaco. 

English teams and English football is clearly the pride of Europe and also the best because they have the most money. Let me try and be serious once my rib age has stopped shaking uncontrollably. 

I've been making the point that competing in both PL and CL is almost impossible.  Leicester are the interesting experiment here - a PL club that is prioritising the CL - other examples have been Liverpool in 2005 and Chelsea in 2012.
So Tuesday the 15th team currently in the PL beat the 3rd place team in Spain, while the clubs challenging for a top 4 place struggled.  QED I think.

12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I've been making the point that competing in both PL and CL is almost impossible.  Leicester are the interesting experiment here - a PL club that is prioritising the CL - other examples have been Liverpool in 2005 and Chelsea in 2012.
So Tuesday the 15th team currently in the PL beat the 3rd place team in Spain, while the clubs challenging for a top 4 place struggled.  QED I think.

Mmmm. Meanwhile a squad like City got hammered by Monaco. Let's be perfectly clear here - City have two starting XIs they can start a game with. Monaco doesn't. 

It's not because of CL and PL competition. It's not impossible at all and if you are so much better than everyone else, surely you should manage. Especially when factoring in the difference in squad size.

Consistently English teams can't and the very simple explanation is that;

1. Money spent and quality doesn't have a linear relationship 

2. There isn't enough world class players that can make sure the teams who can pay will win by default

Football is so much more than money spent and the names on the back of the shirts. Reality is that continental sides are building teams with the money they have. Teams. With a strategy. With hunger. With desire.

Look at City, over the last three seasons they have spent £420m. Are they any closer to win the CL? No. Do they have a huge squad? Yes. Should the extra six to eight games they play over 8 months really make such a difference? No. 

Look at De Bruyne. Jogging around the pitch. £50m. Laughable. Absolutely laughable. If that's the going rate for a player of his standard then Hazard should go for £500m. As long as English teams overpay for players x4-x8 their actual value, their spending won't do any good. Sure, they will get better but they give a lot of money to continental sides who can then reinvest it in several quality players and net be better off. 

The funny thing is that English teams can continue to be spanked in Europe and you will just say this proves your point. It's codswallop Droy. Absolutely non-sensible drivel and is nothing more than a poor excuse for their shortcomings. 

19 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Mmmm. Meanwhile a squad like City got hammered by Monaco. Let's be perfectly clear here - City have two starting XIs they can start a game with. Monaco doesn't. 

You haven't explained how a team 15th in our league can beat a team 3rd in La Liga though.

Since both the City and the Leicester results happened this week, surely we should be looking for reasons how both could happen.
PL exhaustion is at least a good theory that explains the facts.  PL teams just being crap and wasting their money doesn't fit.  Especially since the only teams that do consistently better than PL teams are the ones who actually have more money than our clubs - PSG, RM, Barca and BM.

Besides, I really wouldn't want to be arguing the case that money does not correlate with success in sport - too controversial even for me.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

You haven't explained how a team 15th in our league can beat a team 3rd in La Liga though.

Since both the City and the Leicester results happened this week, surely we should be looking for reasons how both could happen.
PL exhaustion is at least a good theory that explains the facts.  PL teams just being crap and wasting their money doesn't fit.  Especially since the only teams that do consistently better than PL teams are the ones who actually have more money than our clubs - PSG, RM, Barca and BM.

Besides, I really wouldn't want to be arguing the case that money does not correlate with success in sport - too controversial even for me.

Well Leicester is playing as many games as City no? 

So your theory falls on its own unreasonable starting point. Unless you want to claim that Leicester has intentionally lost PL games to rest for the CL. Which even you must agree is ludicrous. 

But we don't have to stick to this season only. Go back the last 8 seasons and have a look at how English teams have performed. It isn't exactly mind blowing. Not in the Europa either. 

57 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Well Leicester is playing as many games as City no? 

So your theory falls on its own unreasonable starting point. Unless you want to claim that Leicester has intentionally lost PL games to rest for the CL. Which even you must agree is ludicrous. 

But we don't have to stick to this season only. Go back the last 8 seasons and have a look at how English teams have performed. It isn't exactly mind blowing. Not in the Europa either. 

The facts are there - just interpret them neutrally.  Clubs that do not spend a large effort on the PL can do well in the CL.  Clubs with far superior players and much bigger budgets that try to do well in both struggle in the CL.

It really is that simple.  

If you look at the CL coefficients - you'll find that British clubs do not do that badly - broadly they in a tight group with Italy and Germany, well ahead of France, and only Spain above that group.  Spain's performance is boosted by having two monster clubs.

And why do these 2 spanish teams do so well - money of course.

28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The facts are there - just interpret them neutrally. 

You should take your own advice on other subjects.

So Leicester have drawn Ath. Madrid. Not the worst draw by any means.

I would say they have a 40:60 chance of going through on the underdog card.

So I take it that Cuadrado is still a Chelsea player then  !

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

It's so unlike the two big Spanish sides to get soft decisions go there way.

Not.

The competition is bent .

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Apparently they haven't quite got the memo...