• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Original OldBlueLady

Live Match Thread: Chelsea V Southend

My apologies now if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I can't see it mentioned anywhere else and can't post on your forum to do with matches.

Been registered since the draw was made, and hope I've not been one of those causing a nuisance, but as a Southend supporter for over 30 years, I'd like to say how much we are all looking forward to the match on Saturday. I'm hoping that you'll give us the respect of putting out a team of at least some first teamers, after all, we did manage to dispatch a Man U team which included Rooney and Ronaldo a couple of years go!

Times have changed since then, apart from our manager, we have the 7th longest serving manager in the English football league. We have, I believe, only one player lined up to play on Saturday who featured in that game. At that time we still had a fairly settled team whereas now we've had to chop and change due to the departure of some of our "big" names in the summer.

At the time of writing this, I'm hoping we will have both Jean Francois Christophe (from Portsmouth) and Dan Harding (from Ipswich) on board as new signings - I very much doubt we'll have your youngster Lee Sawyer, I reckon he's Watford bound in the not too distant, despite having been a huge fans' favourite during his loan spell.

This is how I expect us to line up: GK - Mildenhall - a huge 6'5" keeper, but unfortunately in a lot of fans' eyes, not Flavs, so therefore, rubbish; RB - Francis, can be brilliant but this season has been poor in this spot, better in the middle; CB - Clarke, the sole survivor, transfer listed so may be on his way; CB - Barrett - Skipper, bleeds blue, but unfortunately his legs haven't been too great this season; LB - Harding, great free kick taker and loads of pace; RW - Tough one here, Betsy in the main so far, but could put Macca out here, personally I'd have Walker who is not a fans' favourite and will be booed by some of the morons; CM - McCormack, Macca our dynamo, fiery and Irish, not quite to full fitness after some major knee surgery in the summer but well on the way, already has Lampard in his sights!; CM - Christophe, more defensive, but capable of some cracking late goals!; LW - Stanislas, on loan from Wet Spam, greedy little guy but by God can he score some great goals!; CF - Dougie Freedman, the great, the one and only, been around ages, but still an absolute diamond; CF - Lee Barnard, a proper Essex boy, Barney's gonna get ya!

Strong links - on their day our best players are probably Clarke, Macca, Freedman and Barnard.

Weak links - Barrett, bless him and Walker if the crowd get on his back. This is the guy we were about to sign from Charlton last year and suddenly found a major heart condition which we (rather than Charlton) paid for, and then subsequently signed.

Oh, and watch out for Anthony "Snoop Dog" Grant, one of your own, who learnt his skills from the masters - if you see what I mean, likely to be a sub, but could feature in the middle if Macca's preferred on the wing.

Our away support is second to none in the lower leagues, so I sincerely hope you will be entertained by us, and that everyone behaves themselves. I'm hoping for a 2-2 draw then back to Roots Hall where you can beat us....maybe, but at least it'll make the chairman happy!

Here's to a good game, and a Happy New Year to you!

Please use this thread for all posts relating to the FA Cup 3rd Round match against Southend, before and during the game.

Moderators and our legal people will be keeping an eye on things. Keep it intelligent.

Please note that this unmoderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is at 1500hrs, Saturday, 03 January 2009, at Stamford Bridge.

IMPORTANT: Stream Information Thread

I'd line-up like this:

Cudicini

Ferreira Carvalho Ivanovic A. Cole

Mineiro

Belletti Ballack

Sinclair Kalou Stoch

I would start Bridge, but I suspect something must be up for him not to start a single Christmas period game.

Edit: Changed. I'm also curious if something like this was done, if Ballack would be more effective as the entire midfield, and possibly attack in whole, would be under his responsibility.

I'd line-up like this:

Cudicini

Ferreira Carvalho Ivanovic A. Cole

Belletti

Ballack Lampard

Sinclair Kalou Stoch

I would start Bridge, but I suspect something must be up for him not to start a single Christmas period game.

No Deco? Surprised no-one else has anything to add but then I suppose it is NYE!

No Deco?

Nah, he's not been in good form anytime recently.

I think my team is probably more than enough even though Kalou isn't the best of sole strikers, Anelka and Drogba should frankly get some rests.

If Di Santo or Sahar are around, though, and fit, I'd bench Kalou and play either.

Surprised no-one else has anything to add but then I suppose it is NYE!

Yep, and it's a few days early. Some posting should start tomorrow, and then some more the day after.

Cameron   

I guess/hope:

Gk: Cudicini

Rb: Belleti

Cb: Carvalho

Cb: Ivanovic

Lb: Bridge if fit, if not, Ash Cole.

CM: Mikel

CM: Mineiro

CM: Lampard

Amr: J.Cole

Str: Kalou

Aml: Scotty Sinclair.

Subs: 5 Youngsters.

2/3-1 Chelsea.

Cameron   
^ I completely forgot about Mineiro.

Lol. I would be a tad worried about your lineup nona. This is the FA Cup. A competition we really need to win, as the Champions League and Premiership look unlikely at present.

QueSera   
The match is at 1500hrs, Saturday, 03 January 2009, at Stamford Bridge.

On this day in recent Chelsea history, 3rd January:

2004 ~ FA cup ~ Watford ~ away = D 2-2

1994 ~ Premiership ~ Everton ~ home = W 4-2

1987 ~ Division One ~ Luton ~ away = L 0-1

1983 ~ Division Two ~ Leicester ~ away = L 0-3

1981 ~ FA cup ~ Southampton ~ away = L 1-3

1976 ~ FA cup ~ Bristol Rovers ~ away = W 1-0

1973 ~ League Cup ~ Norwich ~ away = L 0-1

1970 ~ FA cup ~ Birmingham ~ home = W 3-0

Previous matches against Southend United (all at Roots Hall):

Date ~ Competition ~ Venue ~ Result

06-Sep-72 Wed ~ FL Cup ~ away = W 1-0

03-May-74 Fri ~ friendly ~ away = W 3-1 (Bloomfield testimonial)

02-May-90 Wed ~ friendly ~ away = W 3-0 (Danny Greaves testimonial)

21-Jul-93 Wed ~ friendly ~ away = W 1-0

25-Jul-94 Mon ~ friendly ~ away =W 2-1

Lol. I would be a tad worried about your lineup nona. This is the FA Cup. A competition we really need to win, as the Champions League and Premiership look unlikely at present.

I think I've got main players in all positions apart from Sinclair, Stoch and Mineiro. Sinclair already has experience playing in cup competitions for us, however small it is. And he's played quite alot in the Championship, so he should be able to cope with a League One side. I quite like Stoch and since Scolari has already put Stoch in the bench many times, I think he could do something, and if he isn't so effective, the rest of the team should cope.

Belletti has played as CM, while Ballack should perform at least decent otherwise he's really having a bad moment.

The defence I put up is probably our strongest defensively barring Terry's absence and should be able to deal with anything Southend brings. Cudicni plays in cup games anyways.

I think my team is perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't bet a penny Scolari will start anything like this. I expect Drogba, Bosingwa and Lampard all starting.