• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Fowler

What Do You See In Rugby And Cricket?

If we were talking about football, I could list a never-ending amount of positives. I've just never seen the enjoyment of watching rugger and cricket. I'm not having a go here, I'm just keen to know opinions from fellow football fans about these two sports.

Cricket has obviously got skill in it. However, apart from the occasional flash of brilliance, I, perhaps like you, think it a game largely for the brain dead. (Ouch! Who threw that??!!)

Rugby, on the other hand is a brilliant game. But I wouldn't fancy being a forward, even in the modern game (well, maybe wing forward but that'd be all). I was a centre and getting by your man or getting one of your players by his man was the big thrill for me. That and of course scoring tries. But the truth is, for all the professionalism, I don't think the standard of play is better than it was years ago. In the game in these parts, where are the Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams, Serge Blancos or Mike Gibsons today? There's a few very good players, but almost no great ones.

I have no idea. Last Aussie cricket game I saw (in Aus), one stand made a chain of beercups instead of watching the game.

It can be a good day out, but I can never sit down and watch an entire test, let alone one dayer... Let alone 20/20!

Cricket has obviously got skill in it. However, apart from the occasional flash of brilliance, I, perhaps like you, think it a game largely for the brain dead. (Ouch! Who threw that??!!)

The thing that gets me about cricket is the tempo. I really enjoyed the Ashes a couple of years back, but other than that I can't see the attraction. It's awesome fun to play though! For me it's boring.

Rugby, on the other hand is a brilliant game.

I can see how the physical aspect of rugger can be interesting, but I've never enjoyed watching it! I've been useless whenever I've played it and I don't understand it at all... Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

hanuma   

Rugby for its homoeroticism.

Cricket for its effeminacy.

Feel free to wiggledunk those purple bulldog cheeks sailor ;)

I played Rugby (union) for 15 years. That's why I enjoy watching it played at a high level of skill because it showed how far we had to go to improve... I think having played, I understand what's happening on the pitch more which makes it enjoyeable. I played Lock and Prop depending on my size. Though once, they stuck me at outside center. The guy across from me nearly pissed himself as I had at least 50 pounds and 4-5 inches on him! There was also a great amount of Camaraderie among teammates which was pretty cool...

.re Cricket, those guys are CRAZY! Guarding a wicket while somebody throws that hard-ass ball at you at speed? Nuts...

I can see how the physical aspect of rugger can be interesting, but I've never enjoyed watching it! I've been useless whenever I've played it and I don't understand it at all... Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

Nah. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

Litchy   

Rugby- I'll never see the enjoyment, but its what all my friends are into, so I have to watch it a lot of the time.

Cricket- I guess most of the enjoyment comes from being able to get completely smashed for a day and occassionally cheer a wicket. I've been to a couple of games, and it was brilliant, but I can only watch 20-20 on television.