• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Fowler

What Do You See In Rugby And Cricket?

Liverlad   

I love cricket, but none of my mates do (its not a part of the country that big on cricket). I can see how someone would find watching it boring though. I'd have suggested watching the 20-20 world cup for those of you who aren't interested in the slow pace of test matches.

Osgood 9   

I can Not Play Rugby,I hate it,Simply hate it.At my Old (Private) School.Rugby was a very important sport.We started doing it when we were 7-8 Years old.It was very fun starting it off because we were young and full of Energy.As time got on I was getting really really pissed off with it.On Monday-Thursday we would do "Games" as it was Known (Posh Word for PE) in "Games" we did Rugby but before "Games" on Thursday we did "Activities" which was a sport of our choice,I naturally picked football.There was 2 other lads from my year which did Football,All the other guys which did it were from the year below me.Football on Thursdays was some of the best days ever,It wasn't as serious as rugby which was really good because we got to just do it at our own pace.The Social side of it was brilliant too with some of the lads in the Year below me.You'd get to know them really well.Most of the time because none of us were in the Rugby team and therefore viewed as Second Class citizens by the PE department there we'd just stay and play football until 4.30 Which Included "Late Games" which took place from 3.30-4.30.Some of the Football days were the best days ever.The same can't be said for the Rugby days.9 times out of 10 I'd be doing something different with 3 other guys from my year because there was "Team Preparation" for a match and because I wasn't in the team I had to go do something different because of this there was a few times when I fell out with the teachers and walked away and went back up to get showered and Changed.

Cricket,Unfortunatly was the same.Which is very sad,I quite enjoyed playing it but the Teacher was a tosser and he didn't like me.He tried to exclude me from doing games with my year group.That and a variety of other things was the reason to why I left the school.Although it must be said When I wasn't getting excluded from my games group I learned some things about Cricket which I took to my new school :).Although the end was a dream come true for me.Football for late games.I scored a 30 yarder in the last minute.Then that was it.I was finished at my old school.It was a good ending but I'm still bitter.

So Going by this post,I hate Cricket and Rugby

yugam   

Yawn..only Brits and former colonies like cricket..how incredible dull. It takes a day to finish a game! Rugby is a weird sport..much like baseball.

In these countries also the purists are getting tired it and the way the current crop of cricketers handle themselves..

Rugby is an unreal sport, especially to play but also to watch(when it's a good match, same as football).

Great camraderie and physicality, the collisions are brilliant as is the skill in handling. If you played(or watched-at the game) a big game(at any level) that was fiercely contested with friends and strangers watching, the physicality can be awesome. Also the effort put in with players literally bursting themselves to get back and make last ditch tackles or going head on into huge guys, possibly far bigger/heavier than themselves then you'd understand why although it mightn't be your cup of tea its the very definition of the sport. By the end of tough games half the players on the pitch at least will be in considerable pain.

Adrenaline, strength, speed, skill, courage -It has it all and more at it's best. In fairness it isn't always at it's best but neither is football.

If you're not into it then watching something like the English Premiership on TV probably wont convert you. World Cup, 6 Nations, Tri Nations and the Lions are a better way to stoke the fire.

Or even big schools cups- these are particularly good to watch because the crowd is so involved- standard isn't as good but you'll see more line breaks.

I have absolutely no interest in Cricket and am shocked you've grouped rugby with it. Baseball, golf even snooker I could understand.

Rugby Union is brilliant, the skill levels are superb especially in the Super 14, down-under, with great running games.

Rugby League is appalling tosh, the players/fans have no brains, each player gets the ball and runs linearly straight into another man instead of looking for the gap and running - pointless game.

Cricket is great, but you have to be brought up on it to get it and like it. It's not an instant game like footy/rugby, it's for people with patience and a cool reserve. You just sit back relax and enjoy the spectacle of high skills, working the seams, hitting the patches of rough and reading the ball arriving at you at 90mph+ to meet it sweetly for a boundary.

Basically OP - go watch some Super 14 on sly sports, never watch RL, and give cricket a go in the Summer at your local county for day, have a picnic and chat to the locals.

Oh! Almost forgot in both rugby/cricket there are no hooligans and fans can sit together with friendly banter without knives/bottles/bricks/baseball bats/balaclavas et al involved...