• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Fowler

What Do You See In Rugby And Cricket?

Don't watch either rugby or cricket, but I have a different question...formed from spending a lot of time in England and spending a lot of time on English football boards like this one: "Why do English football fans feel the need to debate the value of every other sport besides football?"

Rugby, cricket, American football, baseball, basketball....the list goes on and on. Yes, football/soccer is the most popular team sport in the world and yes its brilliant. But why so much myopia? Even if you prefer football to everything else by a mile, do you have to make comments suggesting that all other sports are "rubbish" and anybody who likes something else AS WELL is a moron? I love steak but I also eat sushi. I love red wine but I also drink white. I love brunettes but I will defintely have the occasional blonde or redhead. Being a sports fan is a lot more interesting if you have more outlets.

hanuma   
"Why do English football fans feel the need to debate the value of every other sport besides football?"
Probably has something to do with that peculiarly English class obsession again. Each sport has its social stigma attached. A popular phrase being 'Rugby a thugs game played by toffs' and vice-a-versa for football.

cricket is great, its a fantastic way to earn a living and I never have to leave the bookies stool

I've been enjoying the hell out of the tri-nations matches... Watching ANY sport when the quality of play is this high is simply amazing.

.re Cricket, I've always enjoyed watching though I think the players are a bit crazy... Don't know that I would have the nutz to stand in there when someone was bowling bodyline! Soryy if I didn't quite get the lingo correct.

.re class stuff... Absolutely boggles my mind... Don't get it at all... I guess it's kind of how a certain section of the northeast in the US view stock car racing... or anything else that occurs in flyover country?

I've read reviews of pubs where the biggest knock against it was that hoorays and sloanies hung out there... I don't give a FF who hangs out at a pub as long as the beer is good and the people aren't overtly ott assholish...

Cricket is only really popular in Lancashire and Yorkshire. No-one in the south really cares about it, unless England are doing well. If England are doing well the country watches it but that doesn't say much as the all country would watch Curling if England had a chance of winning it.

If Cricket and Rugby are only popular 'up North' then why did half of London turn out to give both teams from these sports a huge victory parade?

They might not be everyone's cup tea, but that does not diminish their popularity around the rest of the country.

All surveys can be manipulated to form an opinion that favours one side or the other.

BRING ON THE ASHES.

Off to Twickenham for the next 3 Saturday's to work behind the bar at the 'Rose and Crown'.

If Cricket and Rugby are only popular 'up North' then why did half of London turn out to give both teams from these sports a huge victory parade?

Because England won it. If England (Or Great Britain) wins something the whole country is interested but thats just because we live in a very patriotic country not necessary that the sport is well liked. Look at the county cricket attendances and you can see that cricket isn't popular.

I used to play and watch cricket devotedly I loved it then I came across football says it all really.

at the age of about 10 I stopped watching cricket because I started to get engrossed in football and watching such a fast sport compared to cricket? the decision makes itself. I just couldn't go back to watching for a whole day and completely phased or out.

Rugby? never really bothered.