• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Fowler

What Do You See In Rugby And Cricket?

I started watching rugby again for the first time in about 5 years.

It was quite fun!!

And I enjoyed serving 2 Aussie straight after the game. But I did tell that I would've preferred them winning the rugby and us winning The Ashes.

yugam   

And I enjoyed serving 2 Aussie straight after the game. But I did tell that I would've preferred them winning the rugby and us winning The Ashes.

The Australian team is in a mess at the moment so it should make for an interesting Ashes down-under, different from the usual whitewash that normally takes place. As you earlier said, 'Bring on The Ashes!' .

Had a good day at Twickenham yesterday and I've got to say that once again, the South Africans are lovely people and

a joy to serve.

Shame about the result. :(

I went to a rugby (union) playing school, aged 11, and carried on playing until about 5 years ago (I'm 51 now), so I played for 35 years. I represented both Surrey and England at schoolboy level, as well as England U23 whilst at Rosslyn Park (in the pre-professional times it was one of the top clubs in the country and had several internationals). I toured New Zealand with a combined universities team, and toured Ireland, France, Spain. Hong Kong/Japan, and Argentina with various club sides. The camaraderie I've enjoyed as a result of playing rugby is something I cherish and doubt would have got from almost any other sport. In rugby you spend 80 minutes of bashing the hell out of each other and the next several hours in the bar re-living past games. It's a far more sociable environment than football and supporters (as well as the players) of opposing teams all get on well with each other. There's no need to separate fans as in football. I have always watched rugby because of my love of the game as a player. Understanding what goes on helps in the enjoyment of watching any sport. Football is a skillful game, but the basics are easy to understand, hence its worldwide popularity. Rugby is more complicated, and only by truly understanding what's happening and why can you really enjoy watching it. As an ex prop forward, I find the changes in the scrummaging laws have actually diminished it as a spectacle... but then my cauliflower ears long ago allowed any brain cells I may have had to fall out of my head!

Cricket was the summer sport we played at school, after the rugby season had ended. Like rugby it is more complicated than football, so a knowledge of the laws and the methods of play are important. I'm "old fashioned" in so far as I can't stand limited overs games... especially that abortion of a game that is T20. I love test matches. For me it's like a 5 day game of chess, and during the recent Ashes tests I watched every single ball on Sky.

If, when I was 9, my parents hadn't moved to a new house a few doors down from Eddie McCreadie and a few hundred yards from Chelsea's then training ground just off the Hurst Road in East Molesey, I doubt I would be in these forums, as there had been no previous history of supporting a football club in my family.

After today's game,I had to post something. England,almost to a man,were superb(Ashton still a bit off colour). 2to1 in the tackles,wrapped the legs and took them down,not too many penalties and didn't panic when they pulled 2 tries back. Strong scum,and the kicking from both players!!!

NZ were 12-1 on. 12-1 on!!!!!

Well worth watching if you get a chance tonight.

If we were talking about football, I could list a never-ending amount of positives. I've just never seen the enjoyment of watching rugger and cricket. I'm not having a go here, I'm just keen to know opinions from fellow football fans about these two sports.

This is a great question. I know I'm mighty late here but this had always bugged me as well.

I'm from the north of Sweden, so any high impact contact sport is bound to interest me. We play ice hockey like the Canadians (in style, or at least used to) so I like any game where there is tackles flying in all over the place. Probably the reason to why I always preferred the Premier League to Spanish and Italian football. Nowadays you'll get booked for the silliest of things over here though:(

Anyhow, back to your post. I find myself really liking Rugby (and American football, which isn't as boring as many Europeans seem to think. It's extremely tactical). Likewise, I absolutely detest cricket (and baseball, seriously wtf?).

Cricket and baseball is for me completely pointless and I just don't get it.

Perhaps some avid cricket fan or some of our American friends can enlighten me to what I'm missing here?

That was a truly brilliant performance, really needed cheering up after the Chelsea game before too! I'd love for Stuart Lancaster to build a team even half as good as the Woodward team around '03, it's still the best team England have produced in any sport.

As for cricket: it's kind of like a five day chess match. It's a lot more of a mental battle than football or rugby and can be just as dramatic as any other sport. I can see why it's not everyone's thing though. Compared to baseball it's the greatest sport ever, I have tried to get into it several times but it's awful. Very little drama or incident, almost no physical prowess...I could go on.

To be fair I rarely watch rugby, cricket (or any other sport apart from football or NFL) unless a team I support are playing. I get most of my enjoyment through the competition rather than the actual mechanics of a sport.

I watched the rugby highlights (I'm protesting by not illegally downloading any Chelsea matches till he's gone).

While the spirit was there, and the response to NZ getting back to within a few points was very heartening, it was a very very technical game, with the first half being dominated by obscurely given penalties and the second half by energy and just how many people from each side got to each breakdown. Hard for the recently returned watcher to understand. I played till I was 16 at school, but too deep in the pack to learn the full rules, let alone understand what it should look like form outside the scum. (and they keep on changing the rules - 4 points for a try was brought in the season I started).

Flinkers   

After today's game,I had to post something. England,almost to a man,were superb(Ashton still a bit off colour). 2to1 in the tackles,wrapped the legs and took them down,not too many penalties and didn't panic when they pulled 2 tries back. Strong scum,and the kicking from both players!!!

NZ were 12-1 on. 12-1 on!!!!!

Well worth watching if you get a chance tonight.

Although NZ lost I have to say that was an excellent game of rugby. Was a bit shellshocked watching it though. Tuilagi and Barritt were superb in midfield and the scrum and the loose forwards destroyed any forward momentum the ABs tried to generate. Getting picked off in the ruck for stupid penalties was also a sign they were not completely on their game.

Scrappy, backwards ball, combined with loose handling and dodgy decision making under pressure (the standard AB problem of the last decade) finished the job.

No excuses over the bug; England, you blew us out of the water.

Looking forward to the rematch.

JayD   

I love cricket, and I can't really put my finger on why exactly. I used to be a bowler, the enjoyment I got from bowling someone out was similar to scoring a goal, that sense of celebration.

Also, the English are bloody good at it, the Ozzies where always fairly arrogant and had the upper hand on us for years, so it's brilliant to smash them. Also, Cricket is typically a Summer sport in the UK, and not much tops a long day drinking beer in the sun at Lords.

Never liked Rugby for some reason. Tried to jump on the bandwagon when we won the world cup, but swiftly fell off it.