• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Redmond

The Scapin Method

After the consultation process which you may have noticed towards the end of last season, we are going ahead with implementing the stroke of genius that is more commonly known as the Scapin Method for our Forecast the Result this season, 2009/10. The scoring system, devised by our very own Scapin is a thing of beauty and simplicity :

Correct score = 3 points

Correct result (win/lose/draw) = 1 point

Each correct scorer if the correct score is predicted = 1 point

So, if you predict the correct match scoreline, you get three points. If you worked out the right result (who would win, or if it would be a draw) but got the exact scoreline wrong, you get one point. The final piece of the jigsaw is this : if and only if you get the correct scoreline, you also get a bonus point for each correct scorer you predicted from either side. This will sort out the men from the boys and the women from the girls, whilst keeping the primary emphasis on the importance of predicting exactly the right scoreline. Thank you to everyone who offered their opinion on the scoring issue and thank you especially to Scapin.

NB : Forecast the Result will include every first team match this coming season, assuming no oversights are made. To that end, forecasts will begin with the Seattle Sounders friendly coming up very soon on July 20th.

Codger   

Sir, can I play if I promise not be naughty?

Seriously, well done all and thanks for doing this again, Richard.

Good format, I really must try harder to enter for each game this season, I would have breezed into the top 4 had I done so last season :) . Thanks to RR for having the time and patience to run it.

Sir, can I play if I promise not be naughty?

Seriously, well done all and thanks for doing this again, Richard.

Hmmm............well, alright!

:O)

Karan   
To that end, forecasts will begin with the Seattle Sounders friendly coming up very soon on July 20th.

Richard, a small correction if you don't mind - the Seattle Sounders friendly is on July 18th.

Nevertheless, interesting method - The Scapin Method. Should add alot more variety to the forecast the league table. I didn't play this last season. This time I'll attempt to do so.

When's registration? ;)

Just send me the tenner....

I didn't participate in this last year but plan to give it a decent shot this year. But as a newbie to it all can I ask: -

- Is there a predict the result league table thread? (If not, why not)? And,

- Can people change their predictions so long as it's before the game? I.e. On the Seattle thread someone's just mentioned that no African players are playing which renders a lot of previous goalscorer predictions uselss.

Are the friendlies going to count towards the main total though, or just be a bit of a trial run? I like the scoring system by the way.

Are the friendlies going to count towards the main total though, or just be a bit of a trial run? I like the scoring system by the way.

No trial run I'm afraid. Friendlies count.