• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

Ruudboy   

Not sure I follow you. Falcao and Remy had bags of experience and Falcao has been injured so haven't really played.

Bamford is a complete unknown quantity and couldn't even get one PL start at Palace.

So, why should Hiddink flog Falcao and/or Remy and take a chance on Bamford? Kudos if he does, but he has no incentive to do so. Bamford was Palace 4/5th choice striker but people want him to be our second choice?

Edit: and let me be clear, I'm by no means happy with our strikers at the moment. Just don't see Bamford being the answer.

We are so bereft in the striker department that giving some home-grown product a chance seems at least rational - at least until we have an alternative in the bag - or are you satisfied to keep Costa as our only valid striking option? Apart from Hazard and Oscar, that is

The text in bold. January will tell. Although I strongly suspect it will speak up as loudly as it did last summer.

jones   

During the 18 months we have had Remy, he has not been as useful as you would like a 2nd choice CF to be, which also for me is the reason we should sell him:

1) He is not the kind of option you can bring on to change games - we need a CF like that more than anything

2) He is often injured when Costa is out. Not directly his fault, but he is so prone to injuries that we simply dont have that option we think we have

3) He seems to content being 2nd/3rd, at least he seems to know that is not going to change (not just his fault), but we need someone ego actually believes they can challenge whoever it is that is the current no 1

Drogba is coming back (again). Falcao out in Jan seems inevitable. Whether or not we get rid of Remy too I dont know, but if we replaced the two with Drogba and Bamford at least we get experience and hunger behind Costa. Now we have two players low on fitness and confidence. And wait until summer on making new additions, anyone we want is cup tied for the main competition we want players for.

I remember when we signed Remy that the announcement of his signing was delayed for a few hours due to a 'medical problem'. At the time I was a little concerned about that as we were also bringing back an ageing DD. When DD went, and we brought in Falcao, I am sure that I wasn't the only one thinking about Costas' hamstring last season, Falcao's dire record since his injury, and Remy's ratio of injuries to minutes played last season.

As things have panned out, I don't really see that replacing Remy or Falcao with Bamford as being that much of a risk for Hiddink. A lot depends of course on how much money the board are going to allocate to a temporary manager. Personally, I am looking for a few wins to take us well away from the relegation zone, and then, the chance to give some of the youngsters real playing time in what will probably turn out to be an otherwise meaningless season.

Sea foot   

Not much I can argue with there nicnac.

Hiddink may do well for us, he may not. What is fairly obvious, to me anyway, is that the chances of him being the manager next season are slim. If it's true that most of the transfers are made by the board then it doesn't matter who is the manager for the next few months as it will be business as usual. If it isn't, then I can't imagine they would give Guus a big treasure chest to spend. More likely his first job is to get the squad to settle and grab that coveted mid table position and then hopefully give some meaningful minutes to some promising youngsters. If we can achieve that and have a decent cup run after the start we have, it would be about as good as we could expect.

Rob B   

Not much I can argue with there nicnac.

Hiddink may do well for us, he may not. What is fairly obvious, to me anyway, is that the chances of him being the manager next season are slim. If it's true that most of the transfers are made by the board then it doesn't matter who is the manager for the next few months as it will be business as usual. If it isn't, then I can't imagine they would give Guus a big treasure chest to spend. More likely his first job is to get the squad to settle and grab that coveted mid table position and then hopefully give some meaningful minutes to some promising youngsters. If we can achieve that and have a decent cup run after the start we have, it would be about as good as we could expect.

Would love for us to get a few wins and give some proper playing time to some promising youngsters, however I'd bet anything it doesn't happen;

What WILL happen if we string a few wins together is the club directing Guus to go all out for 4th place, which will mean playing our strongest 11 in every game.

For example, with a good wind, if we beat Palace, West Brom and Everton we could find ourselves up to 7th or 8th ish.

jones   

Would love for us to get a few wins and give some proper playing time to some promising youngsters, however I'd bet anything it doesn't happen;

What WILL happen if we string a few wins together is the club directing Guus to go all out for 4th place, which will mean playing our strongest 11 in every game.

For example, with a good wind, if we beat Palace, West Brom and Everton we could find ourselves up to 7th or 8th ish.

Dont think you have looked at the table? Currently 9 points up to 10th ...

Rob B   

Dont think you have looked at the table? Currently 9 points up to 10th ...

Well depending on goal difference, 9 pts takes us up to 8th actually.

We're splitting hairs though, my points remains that if we put a couple of wins together, I'm not sure the mentality will be "great, we're safe, now lets blood some youngsters" it'll be "how far are we from top 4, lets go all out for it"

There would be a certain irony, if Bamford was able to play tomorrow (sub maybe, although I'm not sure he's registered in our PL squad) and got the winner. We've not got any other fit alternatives to Costa.

I think it just means players like Bamford will have to spend more time in the Championship and the Euro leagues before they are ready for the Prem.

Yesterday Palace were 5th, and they might well be 5th again tomorrow. The idea that Palace was going to be a half way step up from Middlesborough to Chelsea for Bamford was always dubious. The gap from Middlesborough to Palace was bigger at the start of the season and looks a lot bigger now.

With the money PL clubs have now, it is going to be very hard to loan them player who offer them any added value.