• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

11 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

2 goals for Bertrand Traore for Ajax in their 4-1 win over Lyon in the first leg of their Europa League semi final.

And an assist. A timely reminder to Cobham and the rest of Europe. It's decision time for Traore now, so it's either keep or sell. No point loaning him out again.

At worst, last night's performance has increased his value. 

paulw66   
12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Michy is a far more credible alternative IMO.

Based on?

53 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Based on?

Appearances in a Chelsea shirt most obviously, where he looks not as good as Costa rather than a bit better than Pato.  Plus a hell of a lot more experience and being picked by a stronger team in a stronger (if still noddy) league.

xCELERYx   

Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham admits he is still in the dark over his Blues future as he prepares to return to Stamford Bridge.

The 19-year-old's loan at Bristol City ends on Sunday, with speculation growing over where he will play next season. 

He has scored 26 goals for the Robins after joining on a season-long loan last summer to help them beat the drop in the Championship. 

Reports have suggested Chelsea are ready to offer Abraham a new contract, but the forward insisted he is still waiting to hear from the Premier League leaders. 

"There's nothing yet. I'm not too sure but hopefully there will be [a new contract]," he said, ahead of Bristol City's final game of the season at home to Birmingham on Sunday.

"I've heard a few bits, this and that, but I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet and I haven't spoken to Chelsea about next season. I'm focused here before I end up shooting off back to Chelsea. 

"Bristol is always going to be in my heart now but I'm not too sure what I'm doing. 

"Bristol would be interested in taking me again but it's a situation if Chelsea want me to come back or want me to go somewhere else to develop in a different way. It would be nice to come back to Bristol in the future."

Abraham has two years left on his current Chelsea contract and Brighton, Leicester and Everton have been linked with a loan move next season. 

And the England Under-21 international, who scored twice on his debut against Bosnia in October, would be open to another temporary switch after benefiting from his spell at Ashton Gate.

"Loans are a different experience for everyone but the mentality you have to have is not to feel relaxed. You have to have a mindset that you're going to try harder and work harder than anyone," he added.

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

According to The Guardian, Newcastle and Chelsea have agreed a 6 mill fee for Atsu.

Yup, decent little fee. They all add up.

Expecting further sales for the likes of Piazon, Kalas, Pasalic, and a few others. 

jones   

Izzy Brown and Huddersfield to play Reading (and John Swift) for promotion. If they are promoted, you would expect either Brown or Palmer (currently injured) to go there on loan next season. Both of them have been very good for Huddersfield, but as far as I know PL clubs can loan maximum one player from other PL clubs.

Palmer also attracting interest from Bournemouth, which seems like a good fit. Baker, RLC and Aina should also aim for PL loans, they are more than capable imo, but with youngsters taking PL loans we know by experience how often they turn out to be unsuccessful. Tomori played some part in Brighton's promotion, but it is perhaps too soon to expect him go there again and get regular starts in the PL?

Abraham's season has made him such a top target for many PL clubs, that I guess we can almost demand guarantees over playing time. Very intrigued to follow him next season.

In other words, could be looking at 5-6 English Chelsea prospects on PL loans next season. The last time we had a successful PL loan for an English player, I guess was Sturridge at Bolton? And the season after, he was an important squad player/starter.

Others in contention for PL loans: Boga, Musonda, Kane, Kenedy.

Could be even more interesting to follow the PL next season.

Juni   

It's interesting, but as much as they all could with a PL loan, the logistics aren't practical. You start with 19 teams, remove Tottenham, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and probably West Ham as they're not taking anyone on loan from Chelsea. You're already down to 13 teams, and we've got as many as ten names suggested there, but even 5-6 is optimistic when you consider that each club can only have a max of two loanees from PL clubs (one per club, as you rightly stated), and that there were only 17 loans between PL clubs in all of 2016-17.

That's where the problems lie for Chelsea, there are too many prospects needing high-level loans and not enough realistic places for them to play.

1 hour ago, jones said:

but as far as I know PL clubs can loan maximum one player from other PL clubs.

How does that work with Bournemouth having Ake and Wilshere on loan together for first half of this season?  Or is is just one player from each club. Just curious.  (edit - thanks for the answer Juni)

1 hour ago, jones said:

In other words, could be looking at 5-6 English Chelsea prospects on PL loans next season. The last time we had a successful PL loan for an English player, I guess was Sturridge at Bolton? And the season after, he was an important squad player/starter.

Others in contention for PL loans: Boga, Musonda, Kane, Kenedy.

I'd be very surprised if we had 5 or 6.

Abraham perhaps, but I suspect he'd be better of at a good Championship club where he would be sure to start even if he failed to score for 4 or 5 games.
Chalobah and Ake - but only if Conte agreed - which I doubt.  ditto Christensen.
Kane hasn't played for a season and needs the certainty of getting games more than anyone.
Boga hasn't always started at Granada - the bottom club with 20 points in La Liga - a level below that of the championship.
Musonda returned after barely being picked at Championship level Real Betis (after a better first season).
The last thing RLC needs is a 2nd season making a handful of sub appearances for a PL club.  If he is thought good enough to start for a Championship team (or even Vitesse) that is what he needs to do.  (No point saying his wages and ambition demands the PL, his performances, one 10m cameo aside, do not).
Kenedy also needs games not sub appearances.  The desperate straights of the 15/16 squad are all the more obvious given how often Kenedy, RLC and Traore played then, and where they are a year later (Traore is doing roughly the same as at Vitesse 2 years ago - OK, but not the kind of player you would be looking to buy urgently, and no progress.

Outside chances, Baker, Miazga and Rahman (if fit).

I'd be surprised if there were more than one PL loanee - especially given Juni's well observed point:

40 minutes ago, Juni said:

It's interesting, but as much as they all could with a PL loan, the logistics aren't practical....

That's where the problems lie for Chelsea, there are too many prospects needing high-level loans and not enough realistic places for them to play.

(I don't actually agree that many need high level loans - far better to pitch too low and see them succeed, than pitch too high and not see them at all.)