• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

blizeH   

I wonder if I'm watching the same player as the Wolves fans are - he didn't seem to do much at all in either of the last two games other than stand around looking like he's not quite sure what he could be doing - although I only watched the highlights so it is hard to judge from that.

Van Aanholt is another matter, looked fantastic in the match I saw him in last week :)

I wonder if I'm watching the same player as the Wolves fans are - he didn't seem to do much at all in either of the last two games other than stand around looking like he's not quite sure what he could be doing - although I only watched the highlights so it is hard to judge from that.
I think you answered you own point there blitzeH ;) .

Ando   

Watched Bertrand in Newcastle's game last week. He was by far Reading's best player.

Vinod   
I think you answered you own point there blitzeH ;) .

Highlights barely do justice to defenders. The blocks and tackles outside the area are always skipped. Hmmm, maybe that's why defenders don't win player of year awards.

blizeH   

Ah, yeah fair points - Wigan had their fair share of chances too though you know! Umm, I dunno - I'm not particularly clued up on these things anyway, and the fact he seemed to be standing around in what I regard as 'rubbish' positions could just be because he reads it so well he doesn't have to exert himself all the time anyway.

Agree about Berntrand - watched a few Championship games recently on Sky (Coventry/Reading) and I have to say our young lads there look fantastic.

ish   

the important thing with defenders is that they are never caught out of position, give away possession or loose the aerial ball. If mancienne can do that and a bit more against any opponent he will get far.

ChelC   
Ah, yeah fair points - Wigan had their fair share of chances too though you know! Umm, I dunno - I'm not particularly clued up on these things anyway, and the fact he seemed to be standing around in what I regard as 'rubbish' positions could just be because he reads it so well he doesn't have to exert himself all the time anyway.

Agree about Berntrand - watched a few Championship games recently on Sky (Coventry/Reading) and I have to say our young lads there look fantastic.

I had the same feeling when I was watching him to be honest. I think I posted that somewhere or not. I watched a big chunk of the game vs west ham and I was worried that he might be taking up the wrong positions as he didn't seem to be man marking the strikers. However every ball near him was dealt with competently which made me conclude that he may know what he is doing. If his positioning his off then that can easily be dealt with I should think.

hanuma   
If his positioning his off then that can easily be dealt with I should think.
Well positioning is a natural ability, for all players, but particularly strikers and central defenders, and it was something I always felt MM was weak on with the reserves. Of course experience can help refine this. But positioning can be made to look foolish by the mistakes of other defenders, and it wouldn't be at all surprising that after only 150 minutes back with Wolves, there are some communication issues.