• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

jones   

I think it is quite interesting to see that the loan army strategy has stopped (Miazga in 2016 is the last purchase).  This is what's left of Arnesen and Emenalo's loan, develop and sell at a profit strategy.

Name Acquired Contr Fee
DELAC 2010 2018 2,5
KALAS 2010 2021 5
OMERUO 2012 2019 0
PIAZON 2012 2021 5,5
CUEVAS 2013 2018 1,5
WALLACE 2013 2019 5
PASALIC 2014 2021 2
PANTIC 2015 2019 0
HECTOR 2015 2020 5
NATHAN 2015 2020 3
MIAZGA 2016 2020 4,5

(I could have added Baba Rahman, Zouma, Kenedy and MVG to this list, but I don't consider them in the same category since they were all bought for the first team.)

I expect we are proactively trying to get these players off their books as soon as possible, but trying to do so without losing too much money on the way. While the loan army overall has been a success, it is driven by a few big hits (Lukaku, Courtois, KDB ++), but right now we are left with the missed investments. It looks like a dirty cleaning job after the party is over. We can't expect to recoup much more than 50 % of the 34mp spent on these players. I think by the summer of 2020, they will all be gone, and there will be no such list of loan army players anymore.

Of course, we will continue sending academy players on loan. But that is a totally different path. Emenalo's loan army strategy is done. Would not surprise me if our next step is the franchise model Man City is going for. 

Interesting.  Though I think there are plenty of guys who came through the Academy playing their careers out in much the same way now.  

9 minutes ago, jones said:

While the loan army overall has been a success, it is driven by a few big hits (Lukaku, Courtois, KDB ++

Surely they were as much for the first team as Rahman or Zouma.

I think if we think in pipelines the right way to categorise players bought in is something like:

<= 15 on arrival - Classic Chelsea youth
< = 17 on arrival - Youth stolen by Chelsea from another club
< =20 on arrival, < 40 appearances for a decent side (Championship, Euro top div) - speculative purchase
< =21 on arrival, >40 appearances already - Major Young Talent (and probably expensive)
< = 24 on arrival,  - First Team purchase

That some players from each group ended up on loan doesn't to my mind make "the loan army" a useful category.  In some cases being in the Loan army is a sign of progress, in some a sign of failure and in most a sign of being borderline - not quite good enough to use, not quite bad enough to discard (a zombie investment as the Venture Capitalists would say).  

The Major Young Talent group is where we were very successful.  But that may simply be because we bought at the right time, and just outbid our rivals and bought pretty much all of it, rather than because we selected talent at that level better than others.

It includes Hazard, Moses. Courtois, Oscar and almost Azpi (22 when bought), as well as Salah, Lukaku KdB.

Congratulations to Frank Lampard and Jody Morris who have been appointed manager and assistant at Derby County. Hope they both do well and certainly would expect some of our best young prospects to be heading that way now. 

11 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Congratulations to Frank Lampard and Jody Morris who have been appointed manager and assistant at Derby County. Hope they both do well and certainly would expect some of our best young prospects to be heading that way now. 

I thought it was highly likely that Jody would be going, but that it hadn't been confirmed yet?

Anyway, congratulations to Frank for taking the challenge on. Let's face it he didn't need to, he could have just kept on taking the easy pundit route.

Be interesting to see how he gets on.