• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

Ham   

Reece James has said goodbye to Wigan.  I'd like to see him in our pre-season. 

xCELERYx   
On 5/6/2019 at 10:50 PM, Holymoly said:

Would anyone be interested in bringing Zouma back for next season? He had broken into the first team before his injury and never seemed able to get back to that level when he returned. Of course he's now starting for Everton and it may be unlikely that he would consider a spot on the bench here unless he was able to impress in pre-season.

I think his days are numbers while we focus on playing out from the back. He averages nearly half the number of passes our CB's currently do, while completing them at a far less rate. Quite a few liked to get on Cahill's back about his ability on the ball, yet his passing competition rate is around 10% greater than Zouma's. I don't see Zouma being able to double his passing volume while also taking his passing completion percentage up to the high 80's low 90's from where it currently sits. If he somehow did manage to do this, he lacks the overall technical ability on the ball that's required when playing out under pressure. 

Also think that after playing so regularly for Everton it would be virtually impossible for him to return and be content with a marginal role on the bench in a similar capacity that Christensen and Cahill found themselves in. For that reason, I reckon he'll either be loaned out again to maximise his return value or sold if we get an offer that's too good to turn down. 

jones   
3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I think his days are numbers while we focus on playing out from the back. He averages nearly half the number of passes our CB's currently do, while completing them at a far less rate. Quite a few liked to get on Cahill's back about his ability on the ball, yet his passing competition rate is around 10% greater than Zouma's. I don't see Zouma being able to double his passing volume while also taking his passing completion percentage up to the high 80's low 90's from where it currently sits. If he somehow did manage to do this, he lacks the overall technical ability on the ball that's required when playing out under pressure. 

Also think that after playing so regularly for Everton it would be virtually impossible for him to return and be content with a marginal role on the bench in a similar capacity that Christensen and Cahill found themselves in. For that reason, I reckon he'll either be loaned out again to maximise his return value or sold if we get an offer that's too good to turn down. 

Which further highlights the need to go in another tactical direction. Zouma is arguably our best defender (after Azpi) and is more than good enough on the ball for most tactics/styles. Playing Sarriball out from the back I agree he does not have the tight ball control for - at least from what I have seen, I would not be very comfortable.

Zouma and Rudiger would be a physically insane pairing, and allowing us to play with a high defensive line. I would love to see the two play together. But I also think Luiz is world class on his day, it is too soon to cut Christensen even if I am worried about his lack of confidence and ruthlessness, and Tomori is more than just an interesting prospect.

We are lucky to have so many good options, but it is also a problem for us that there are no clear first choices. Whoever is our manager next season really needs to form a good pairing, as any new Chelsea will start with a solid defence and a solid CB duo. Zouma definitely is cabable being one of the two, if the manager is right.

jones   
7 hours ago, Ham said:

Reece James has said goodbye to Wigan.  I'd like to see him in our pre-season. 

I think it is given Zappacosta will be sold, and James will be brought back to compete with Azpi at RB. I fully expect him to take over from Azpi in a couple of seasons, and with them being 19 and 29 respectively I think it is a great time to start the transition.

LB is bigger issue though, and I would not hold it against Reece James if Azpi was moved there and James took the starting role at RB already next season. That is how much l rate him.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, jones said:

Which further highlights the need to go in another tactical direction. Zouma is arguably our best defender (after Azpi) and is more than good enough on the ball for most tactics/styles. Playing Sarriball out from the back I agree he does not have the tight ball control for - at least from what I have seen, I would not be very comfortable.

Zouma and Rudiger would be a physically insane pairing, and allowing us to play with a high defensive line. I would love to see the two play together. But I also think Luiz is world class on his day, it is too soon to cut Christensen even if I am worried about his lack of confidence and ruthlessness, and Tomori is more than just an interesting prospect.

We are lucky to have so many good options, but it is also a problem for us that there are no clear first choices. Whoever is our manager next season really needs to form a good pairing, as any new Chelsea will start with a solid defence and a solid CB duo. Zouma definitely is cabable being one of the two, if the manager is right.

Zouma still has his flaws with reading the game, although it has improved considerably the more he has played. But yeah, he would be a better option in a more reserved tactical style being imposed on the backline. The only real way I see him being a fit is if we moved back to a 3ATB system. It would allow us to still play Luiz, but also able to pair two more physical quicker players in Rudiger and Zouma together without having quite the same negative impact from a ball-playing side of things. That however won't happen under Sarri. 

As it currently stands I'd loan Zouma out again until we see how Sarri fairs next season. I'd let Luiz walk and then look to bring in a top CB who is commanding in the air but also controlled on the ground. Someone who can lead and add some much needed leadership down back that we don't really get from any of Luiz, Rudiger and Christensen. 

jones   

If Sarri stays then Luiz should stay, agree with that. And Zouma I agree should prolong his Everton loan, since I expect we will be under transfer ban next summer instead of this one.

But if Sarri leaves, which I think is a possibility, we surely will be going for a tactically different manager and hopefully someone who will be given more patience to build a new identity and team for the next 5 years. That will most likely be without Luiz, and I think most managers would be interested in bringing Zouma back. Newton and the club clearly also rates him as the standout player in the loan group, so he could be brought back almost regardless. 

There is also a concern Rudiger can be out longer than July/August, which also can count in his favour.

One year ago I advocated the sale of Zouma, but he has really fought his way back, and now I would argue his Chelsea future looks rather bright.

He has a lovely personality and will be a great guy to have in a new Chelsea, first choice or not.

1 hour ago, jones said:

I think it is given Zappacosta will be sold, and James will be brought back to compete with Azpi at RB. I fully expect him to take over from Azpi in a couple of seasons, and with them being 19 and 29 respectively I think it is a great time to start the transition.

LB is bigger issue though, and I would not hold it against Reece James if Azpi was moved there and James took the starting role at RB already next season. That is how much l rate him.

I too was thinking along the lines of James possibly being our right back by season's end with Azpi on the left.

xCELERYx   
7 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I too was thinking along the lines of James possibly being our right back by season's end with Azpi on the left.

The left hand side is generally the one Sarri looks to overload on, the right is more reserved and will at times tuck inside to play a covering CB position when needed. Not sure Sarri would flip this approach.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

It is not something to think about.  He is either in the squad or (IMO preferably) he is on loan.

Then the coach just watches them in training.  If James, or for that matter any other non-first choice starts outperforming in training, he can go into the team.  You can't plan that, just react to it when it happens.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, Holymoly said:

Would anyone be interested in bringing Zouma back for next season? He had broken into the first team before his injury and never seemed able to get back to that level when he returned. Of course he's now starting for Everton and it may be unlikely that he would consider a spot on the bench here unless he was able to impress in pre-season.

No - ChelseaYouth/Juni puts it nicely in his loan report

The Loan Report: April 29 – May 5

England

Premier League

Kurt Zouma was impressive for Everton in a 3-0 win over Burnley that has had people speculating about his future once again. The Toffees would love to keep him at Goodison Park, but know that Chelsea would likely ask for a minimum of £40m, if they were to even entertain the idea of selling him. Rumours abound that he will be back in SW6 next season to play under Maurizio Sarri, but for a manager who demands a ‘technical’ centre-back who will touch the ball ’110-120 times’ per match, you think Zouma might not be exactly what he’s looking for. If, on the other hand, you want a premier penalty-box defender who dominates in the air, the 24 year-old is for you.

I know there are plenty who would like to ignore the results of this season and call for a People's vote to remove Sarri anyway, but it is not happening.