• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Main Site

Following Chelsea's Loans

Van Aanholt on his stay at Coventry.

ALTHOUGH sad to be saying goodbye to his Coventry City team-mates, Patrick van Aanholt is excited about his recall to Chelsea and what he hopes will be his big chance to impress Carlo Ancelotti.

As the only recognised left-back behind first choice Ashley Cole, the 20-year-old Dutchman is hoping to be involved in the first team set-up back at Stamford Bridge.

“My loan finished after the Forest game and they want me back,” said the player, who believes he has improved during his time on loan with the Sky Blues.

“That’s their decision and I will hopefully go back and do well for them now and get an opportunity to play in the first team.

“It is a good opportunity for me but I want to keep playing first team football and playing well and if I don’t play then I might look to get back out on loan.

I have got Ashley Cole in front of me and they have tried to play Yuri Zhirkov there but I don’t think he is a defender.

"He is a midfielder so I am hoping it is just Ashley and then me, so hopefully I can get on the bench at the very least and then get some minutes and impress the manager.

“I have been at Chelsea for three years now so they know all about me and hopefully things will go well for me.

"I am confident I will get my chance but it is not up to me. I just have to do well in training and show the manager what I can do, and if I can do that I should be fine.”

As for his for his five months at the Ricoh Arena, van Aanholt clearly has mixed emotions about leaving a team he feels very much a part of both on and off the pitch.

“I am sad to leave because I have made a lot of new friends here – Clinton, Besty, Sammy, Corky – and the boys feel like my team,” he said.

“Clinton has been like my dad and looks after me all the time, so it is going to be hard to leave them after four or five months together, every single day in training and after training. But I have to look after my future and get on with it.”

The full-back has enjoyed decent form in recent weeks, coinciding with City’s recent run of three successive league wins, and had a decent last outing against Forest on Monday.

“I have been trying to play the best I can every week while getting experience,” he said.

“I think I am a better player for my stay with Coventry where I have been learning every day.

“I think I am easier on the ball, winning some headers and defending a lot better than before I came to Cov.

“I have enjoyed every day I have been here and I am sure Coventry will do well in the second half of the season.”

How I laughed at that!

I don't see how Mancienne, a failure at right back and centreback for Wolves this season, could possibly be (of all things) a 'utility player' for us. Others are quickly finding out what I suspected all along that he doesn't have the talent, the pace, the size, the brain to play anywhere for Chelsea in any capacity for any length of time.

Anyone who regularly watched Mancienne play at right back for QPR, knows that the kid can play, and that right back is undoubtedly his best position (for the time being, anyway). It's fair to say that he hasn't been totally convincing at Wolves, but he's also put in a few great performances, and it's unfair to simply ignore those. I have my doubts that he'll become a Chelsea starter anytime soon, but that doesn't mean that he lacks ability, or potential.

yugam   

Allardyce on Di Santo stay.

"We are very pleased," Allardyce said. "There is Chelsea to be thankful for, (manager) Carlo Ancelotti and his staff for allowing it to happen and Franco himself, for telling Chelsea that he preferred to stay and play with us.

"I think that has been one of the key elements in why we have extended the loan and he feels that he has enjoyed his time here and has had games to play and develop.

"We all want him to continue in that way and the only thing that we hope for is that he produces a few more goals.

"I am very pleased with the performances - if he can just turn one or two more chances into goals then that means he will be even more successful in the back half of the season for us than he has been in the first."

P.S.-He is eligible to play in both the domestic cup competitions now.

Jenspm   

Re: Van Aanholt, does this mean Carlo thinks he is above Bertrand in pecking order now ?

Curious as Ryan has been kept out on loan.

could also be as simple as the fact that Bertrand was on a season-long loan, while Van Aanholdt was only on a half-season.

I don't see how Mancienne, a failure at right back and centreback for Wolves this season, could possibly be (of all things) a 'utility player' for us. Others are quickly finding out what I suspected all along that he doesn't have the talent, the pace, the size, the brain to play anywhere for Chelsea in any capacity for any length of time.

VERY harsh on the lad. He hasnt been impressive for Wolves by any means, but its his first season in the Prem. His pace and talent happen to be his standout qualities so its very puzzling as to how exactly you concluded that he is deficient in these areas, but I agree with you that his physical build needs work. Its also probably fair to question his footballing brain given some of his errors this season, but he's also had a few good performances in there as well IMO. The only thing people are finding out is that Mick Mccarthy was wrong to place him immediately into a CB role because he quite clearly wasnt ready for such a responsibilty.

Time is on his side, and nationality will work in his favour... He can still improve his strength with some gym work, and hopefully experience will teach him to deal with situations on the pitch a bit better. I certainly dont agree with forcing him into a midfield role - he got this far in his career as a defender for a reason. He doesnt possess the qualities of a midfielder and will soon hit a ceiling if moved there permanently IMO.

could also be as simple as the fact that Bertrand was on a season-long loan, while Van Aanholdt was only on a half-season.

Natch!

Apologies wasn't sure on this, cheers!

To be fair, Mancienne looked not like a failure when he played right-back for us against Wigan and... who was the other club?... Watford I think, last season. In fact, I remember thinking he could have some use as a backup RB until he gets more time to show what he can do.

I'm neither defending him nor criticising him. I just seem to recall him not doing too bad for either game. Though my memory has a funny vision of a cross coming from our right from Wigan which we were poor in dealing with resulting in a goal for them.

Cameron   

To be fair, Mancienne looked not like a failure when he played right-back for us against Wigan and... who was the other club?... Watford I think, last season. In fact, I remember thinking he could have some use as a backup RB until he gets more time to show what he can do.

I'm neither defending him nor criticising him. I just seem to recall him not doing too bad for either game. Though my memory has a funny vision of a cross coming from our right from Wigan which we were poor in dealing with resulting in a goal for them.

West Ham away too, he put in a good performance and attacked well down the right. We're not planning on letting him go any time soon considering he signed a new contract in the summer and I think he's good enough and after his season at Wolves experienced enough to take either Belleti's or Ferreira's place in the squad.

hanuma   
he's also put in a few great performances, and it's unfair to simply ignore those. I have my doubts that he'll become a Chelsea starter anytime soon, but that doesn't mean that he lacks ability, or potential.

I haven't seen or heard about any 'great performances', unless great means marginally superior to the generally awful standard set by other Wolves players this season. He may not lack 'ability or potential' to eventually make it in the Premier League, but there's a world of difference between that and doing it for Chelsea.