Droy was my hero

Quick Jokes

559 posts in this topic

My understanding of Snowflake was that it was used to denote someone of a delicate nature , in this instance easily upset when things don't go their way. 

There's some on here then. 😉

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Your use of the term "snowflake" shows you to either be ignorant or racist, as it happens. Its origins derive from neo-Nazis who used the term to describe the ashes falling from the skies after the ovens had been used at Auschwitz, Belsen etc.

Maybe best not to use it!

I don't believe a word of that - that was a topic barely talked about at the time in German, let alone English.

4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I wonder the majority of the electorate in the UK feel about being classified as "ignorant" (and racist) by the minority. To me, that's a very dangerous road to tread.

I think for both Brexit and Trump the effect worked one way in affecting answers to pollsters questions, and the opposite way at the polls.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't believe a word of that - that was a topic barely talked about at the time in German, let alone English.

I think for both Brexit and Trump the effect worked one way in affecting answers to pollsters questions, and the opposite way at the polls.

First paragraph. I don't think Bob said it was said at the time, more taken up by neo nazis since.

Second paragraph. Not sure I understand what you're trying to say there tbh.

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Your use of the term "snowflake" shows you to either be ignorant or racist, as it happens. Its origins derive from neo-Nazis who used the term to describe the ashes falling from the skies after the ovens had been used at Auschwitz, Belsen etc.

Maybe best not to use it!

except it didn't so apology accepted hey-ho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake

Background[edit]
"Generation Snowflake" may be derived from the term "snowflake",[3] which has been used in referring to raising children in ways that give them an inflated sense of their own uniqueness.[3][4][5] This usage of "snowflake" may originate from Chuck Palahniuk's 1996 novel Fight Club, and its 1999 film adaptation. Both the novel and the film include the line "You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake."[4][3][6] In January 2017, Palahniuk claimed credit for coining this usage of "snowflake", adding "Every generation gets offended by different things but my friends who teach in high school tell me that their students are very easily offended"; Palahniuk has called it "a kind of new Victorianism.”[7]

The term "Generation Snowflake", or its variant "Snowflake Generation" is thought to have originated in the United States.[5] It came into wider use in the United Kingdom in 2016,[3] particularly after Claire Fox, founder of the think tank the Institute of Ideas, published a book called I Find That Offensive! In it she wrote about a confrontation between Yale University students and faculty Head of College, Nicholas Christakis.[8][9] The confrontation arose after Christakis' wife, Erika Christakis, a lecturer at the university, had suggested students should "relax a bit rather than labeling fancy dress Halloween costumes as culturally insensitive", according to Fox.[8] Fox described the video showing the students' reaction as a "screaming, almost hysterical mob of students".[8] Fox said the backlash to the viral video led to the disparaging moniker "generation snowflake" for the students.[8]

The term "snowflake generation" was one of Collins Dictionary's 2016 words of the year.[10] Collins defines the term as "the young adults of the 2010s, viewed as being less resilient and more prone to taking offence than previous generations".[10] Similarly, in 2016 the Financial Times included "snowflake" in their annual Year in a Word list, defining it as "A derogatory term for someone deemed too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own, particularly in universities and other forums once known for robust debate" and noting that the insult had been aimed at an entire generation.[2]

Thank heavens for that, another CFC.net crises headed off at the pass. 

On the plus side, if I ever start another band (and to be fair I'm a bit old for all that now)  I'm going to call it "The Weeping Snowflakes". What a great name!

2 hours ago, R2FU99 said:

Darren Gough?

2 hours ago, R2FU99 said:

Good old George Formby. Who knew he was Madeiran ? 

It makes him look a little bit "special" to me...if you get my drift . Also his head seems to have shrunk and his neck has stayed the same??