• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

What if you're an atheist republican? 😉 The dirge is all about how a deity should protect one person... it has nothing to do with the country itself or its people.

Quite so.

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So Liverpool booing the national anthem does make the sports pages of the Times.
Henry Winter of all people making apologie for them.  Sickening.

Very happy for Liverpool fans, or indeed anyone, to boo the national anthem (my own misgivings about booing being a stupid noise for an adult to make just generally). My guess though is that not all sets of supporters would get such robust support for it in the press. 

6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So there is another big media story on Chelsea today,
Without going into details, what was mentioned on the BBC radio version I just heard was that the 2 inquiries were initiated by the club and the club has chosen to publish them.
I think the club deserves a lot of credit for this, and hopefully this will start a trend.  
I'll try to namecheck any media source that does credit Chelsea.  Not hopeful.

I work in a safeguarding-related field. In the sector Chelsea are getting huge credit for this and for how receptive they've been to outside feedback on current processes. I agree we'll likely not see that credit in the press, but quite honestly who cares? We're making sure we keep kids safe in a way other clubs can't match and that is enough for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I work in a safeguarding-related field. In the sector Chelsea are getting huge credit for this and for how receptive they've been to outside feedback on current processes. I agree we'll likely not see that credit in the press, but quite honestly who cares? We're making sure we keep kids safe in a way other clubs can't match and that is enough for me. 

It is good.  Of course it does help that Bates hated the pre-Bates regime so is happy to see that shamed.  And the current regime doesn't like Bates much so is happy to point the finger at Gwyn  Williams (who went to work for Bates a 2nd time at Leeds).

Same old pattern though.  We were first to sack a black manager, first to sack a female medic, no doubt next week we'll have the first man sent off by a female ref too.
And now we are the first club to have an open investigation and completely accept the results.

Meanwhile Barca hire thugs to assault our fans and UEFA whitewash it.

I've just been reading Martin Samuels damning verdict on this case and unearthed a nugget of information that has truly amazed me .

Apparently it is not illegal for a coach to have sex with a 16/17 year old child under their supervision !

The NSPCC are campaigning to close the loophole as well they should.

Madness.

asvaberg   
19 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

What if you're an atheist republican? 😉 The dirge is all about how a deity should protect one person... it has nothing to do with the country itself or its people.

Ok, forgive me then. Maybe you all should sing your own personal preferable song next time it's time for "National anthem". May I suggest a Vera Lynn song ? :)

asvaberg   
16 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Nonsense. It's entirely a matter of individual choice.

Quite apart from any political connotation it's a bloody awful dirge of a tune and nothing to do with a "national" anthem.

It is a slight difference between booing and stay quiet.

2 hours ago, asvaberg said:

It is a slight difference between booing and stay quiet.

Yes, but it's also a matter of freedom of expression.

7 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well quite.  If a few thousand want to sign the national anthem, they have the right to do so without being booed by Liverpool fans.
I trust that is what you meant.

• Thanks 1

asvaberg   
49 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Quietness is also an expression. Often the most powerful one.

4 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Ok, forgive me then. Maybe you all should sing your own personal preferable song next time it's time for "National anthem". May I suggest a Vera Lynn song ? :)

I'll stick to humming Skunk Anansie songs to myself, if you don't mind! I may be nearly 60, but I don't believe the spirit of the Blitz is something we need to return to.

If we must have national anthems, how about something less like a dirge, and maybe no words (like the Spanish!)... that would be a start.