• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

asvaberg   
44 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'll stick to humming Skunk Anansie songs to myself, if you don't mind! I may be nearly 60, but I don't believe the spirit of the Blitz is something we need to return to.

If we must have national anthems, how about something less like a dirge, and maybe no words (like the Spanish!)... that would be a start.

I'd go for either or both:

1. Jerusalem (Emerson, Lake & Palmer version)
  2. Land of hope and glory

Rule, Britannia! has (sadly) a too short refrain :)

Edited by asvaberg

1 minute ago, asvaberg said:

I'd go for either or both:

1. Jerusalem (Emerson, Lake & Palmer version)
  2. Land of hope and glory

Rul,e Britannia! has (sadly) a too short refrain :)

All of it jingoistic nonsense! Why not Dambusters theme while you're at it?

asvaberg   

Think of it, Bob - me, Norwegian - being British jingoistic.

It's not that very far back in the history:

Bayeux_Tapestry_WillelmDux.jpg

• Haha 1

Careful, Asvaberg .... that's fightin' talk (but thanks for the Xmas tree and the salt cod).

Frankly, Land of Hope and Glory was originally meant to celebrate the glory of war and Britain’s power on the international stage, which makes it no go in my opinion. And Britannia ruling the waves is frankly laughable, given the state of our navy. Jerusalem is OK for rugger b***ers, but not really applicable. "There'll Always Be an England" and "The Roast Beef of Old England" are too ... English ... and "I vow to thee my country" is too militaristic.

So let's adopt Quincy Jones "Getta Bloomin' Move On! (The Self Preservation Society)" from the Italian Job.

In the meantime, I'll hum along to the Sex Pistols every time I hear that dirge.

Ham   

I'd personally like Parklife by Blur as the national anthem.  It's got a stompiness to it, like a South American anthem. 

Ham   
1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

Think of it, Bob - me, Norwegian - being British jingoistic.

It's not that very far back in the history:

Bayeux_Tapestry_WillelmDux.jpg

Very good 😄

26 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Ok, my final proposal for a new National anthem - completely free, complete nonsens, but great music made by some phenomenal musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtyZSWJkFXU

Is it just me that thinks that Freddie Murphy was a very dangerous man for men and women of my generation or a bit older, and really should have a big cloud over his name?

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'll stick to humming Skunk Anansie songs to myself, if you don't mind! I may be nearly 60, but I don't believe the spirit of the Blitz is something we need to return to.

If we must have national anthems, how about something less like a dirge, and maybe no words (like the Spanish!)... that would be a start.

Yes. That's the key point. Why do we have to hear National Anthems at all at Sporting events, or any kind of events for that matter? What are they for?

Particularly, what is the British one for? It's lyrics, which include  - "Long to reign over us" are bound to be unacceptable to many, including me obviously. Frankly I don't want anyone to "reign over me", for any length of time and having our children compelled to sing such nonsense is disgraceful. It amounts to thoughtless, insidious coercion and nothing less. 

And I'll say "thoughtless' because I'm feeling generous today.