• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I'd personally like Parklife by Blur as the national anthem.  It's got a stompiness to it, like a South American anthem. 

Certainly be way better than what we have for sure.

Alternatively, There Ain't 'Arf Been Some Clever Bastards or Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. The latter is particularly British in its tone I'd say.

3 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Quietness is also an expression. Often the most powerful one.

It can be I agree. Nevertheless, the right to make one's opinion heard remains a core element in our beliefs - allegedly at least.

Colin Kaepernick introduced a very telling protest at the US National Anthem in response to the maltreatment of black people in the "land of the free". it was very appropriate.

No doubt many people were offended by that, but it was important that he was able to do so obviously.

It's an old saying, but still profoundly true for all that:

" I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Amen to that.

46 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Why do we have to hear National Anthems at all at Sporting events,

???  Have you forgotten?  Sport is supposed to be an alternative to war, the tradition is long.

34 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

" I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Amen to that.

Absolutely - and sling out anyone who boos when others wish to sing.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Is it just me that thinks that Freddie Murphy was a very dangerous man for men and women of my generation or a bit older, and really should have a big cloud over his name?

Was he a bit too gay for you? Made you feel uncomfortable? And he was "forin"!!

Just now, Bob Singleton said:

Was he a bit too gay for you? Made you feel uncomfortable? And he was "forin"!!

Not gay enough.

I only discovered he was "forin" recently.
(and I have no idea how it came out Freddie Murphy, not Mercury).

Ham   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Is it just me that thinks that Freddie Murphy was a very dangerous man for men and women of my generation or a bit older, and really should have a big cloud over his name?

Not sure who Freddie Murphy was or why you consider him to have been a dangerous role model.

Freddie Mercury on the other hand does, if the rumours are true, have a very big cloud over his name on relation to how he ALLEGEDLY behaved after he was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. 

8 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not sure who Freddie Murphy was or why you consider him to have been a dangerous role model.

Freddie Mercury on the other hand does, if the rumours are true, have a very big cloud over his name on relation to how he ALLEGEDLY behaved after he was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. 

Well quite.  Though no one seems to mention it.
Actually I'm more concerned about his behaviour before diagnosis because by mid-80s most people should have known the risks they were taking with a camp singer.  Specifically he was a gateway from the gay community to the straight community.

chara   
1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

It can be I agree. Nevertheless, the right to make one's opinion heard remains a core element in our beliefs - allegedly at least.

Colin Kaepernick introduced a very telling protest at the US National Anthem in response to the maltreatment of black people in the "land of the free". it was very appropriate.

No doubt many people were offended by that, but it was important that he was able to do so obviously.

Amen to that.

Hmm..the other side of the coin is that after I have defended your right to free speech..I also want the right to disagree without someone getting in my face and being abusive because my view isn't "acceptable"

Not aimed at you PeteR at all just always been against PC in any form.

Oh and Kaepernick was also a very obscenelyy paid sportsperson slowly failing at his game..an issue not raised..again I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the point just pointing out as ever there are far more sides to every issue...it's a complex world.

1 minute ago, chara said:

Hmm..the other side of the coin is that after I have defended your right to free speech..I also want the right to disagree without someone getting in my face and being abusive because my view isn't "acceptable"

Not aimed at you PeteR at all just always been against PC in any form.

Oh and Kaepernick was also a very obscenelyy paid sportsperson slowly failing at his game..an issue not raised..again I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the point just pointing out as ever there are far more sides to every issue...it's a complex world.

With respect to this issue I reckon it's more simple than you imply Chara. Quite simply, we either have free speech or we don't. The interpretation of what has been said and a response to it can only come after it has been said after all.

With respect to Kaepernick I reckon he justifiably showed a lot of guts in an America that's slowly looking less and less of a free society to me. Actually not so slowly.

1 minute ago, PeteRobbo said:

With respect to this issue I reckon it's more simple than you imply Chara. Quite simply, we either have free speech or we don't.

haha - Free Speech is probably one of the most murkiest of grey areas around.  It is not binary and not simple.