• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

49 minutes ago, JaneB said:

So presumably you'd be very happy for them to swap jobs?

I wouldn't mind at all.  

50 minutes ago, JaneB said:

He'll now go back to looking drawn and haggard with those dark bags under his eyes.

At last - some comment that actually reflects the JM story, not some made up version.  A reasonable concern.

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Spurs the CL finalist and 4th last year.  When he joined us we were EL winners and 3rd.  No real step down.  Man U before him were FA cup winners and 5th.  Spurs is a step up from his last job.

Why is it so many people fail to do the basic arithmetic when it comes to JM?  

Too much like Man U's "Moyes - the Chosen One" when he chose here.  That didn't work out so well.

"SFL the Media friendly one" would be appropriate.  Or better "Mourinho - a winner at long last".

Using your logic if where a club sits defies their standing, Sheff Utd is a step up on Spurs and Man Utd currently because they sit above them in the table and are overachieving as opposed to underachieving.

You even questioned the finances JM would expect. He expects that because of what he has achieved in his career and rightly so, but they fact you are questioning that is because he is making a step down. He is making a step down because his last three jobs have not been a success.

You are fooling no one with this. Have admiration for the man by all means, but at the expense of making yourself look a bit silly........I think that is called fanaticism.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

Sciatika   

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Spurs the CL finalist and 4th last year.  When he joined us we were EL winners and 3rd.  No real step down.  Man U before him were FA cup winners and 5th.  Spurs is a step up from his last job.

I think the problem with that analysis is, as they say, "in the curve". I don't think the underlying dynamics have much to do with JM. Spurs have had a period of moderate success with a group of players who are looking at their last contracts. They have to be convinced that they can win anything at Spurs or they will look for a way out. Next summer, Vertongen, Eriksen, Alderweireld. The summer after Rose, Wanyama and Dier. Some are not individually important, but have to be replaced. Moreover, some of the players are said to be less than competitive wages and their agents will also be at the door. In addition, they have invested considerable capital in infrastructure and will be looking for a return. It seems to me unlikely that there will be large amounts of money available to invest in the replacements that everyone agrees are needed. I think we will see ticket price hikes in the summer. If I had to make a comparison, it is more like the Arsenal after 2006. Still competitive, but not enough so to win anything.

chelboy   
9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Why is it so many people fail to do the basic arithmetic when it comes to JM?  

Too much like Man U's "Moyes - the Chosen One" when he chose here.  That didn't work out so well.

"SFL the Media friendly one" would be appropriate.  Or better "Mourinho - a winner at long last".

Leicester is a step up from Man City on that current basis....

The expectations for Man u and Spurs are completely different. Spurs are hoping for a few trophies then probably sacking him before it goes badly. That is probably Levy plan.  Man U expect  to be sitting top of the league. That is why they brought in Jose. They saw Pep going to City and wanted someone who could compete with him. We all know how that turned out. 

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

You are fooling no one with this. Have admiration for the man by all means, but at the expense of making yourself look a bit silly........I think that is called fanaticism.

I think you need to be considering your own silly comments first. 
Just because commons sense goes missing when JM's name comes up doesn't mean you have to drop your standards.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you need to be considering your own silly comments first. 
Just because commons sense goes missing when JM's name comes up doesn't mean you have to drop your standards.

Spurs following Man Utd, Chelsea Real Madrid is a downward trajectory. Everyone can see that , it’s not a silly comment, it’s his standing right now.

Football is a funny world at times, but trophies alone are not enough of a justification for a manager.

If anything sums that up, it’s the fact that the manager who Spurs have sacked , will be more in demand in world football than the manager they have hired, despite the trophies that JM has won.

Highly likely Pochettino moves into a bigger role than the one he has been sacked from.

17 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Spurs following Man Utd, Chelsea Real Madrid is a downward trajectory. Everyone can see that , it’s not a silly comment, it’s his standing right now.

Which job would you advise a manager to take?  Spurs now or Man U in 2016?  
More to the point - how many managers in the world do you think Spurs would replace Poch with?  Would they go outside a tiny elite of top managers, or would they be happy with a has been?

59 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Which job would you advise a manager to take?  Spurs now or Man U in 2016?  
More to the point - how many managers in the world do you think Spurs would replace Poch with?  Would they go outside a tiny elite of top managers, or would they be happy with a has been?

It’s not a black and white answer to the question. It really depends on what your managerial style is.

However, if you are Jose Mourinho , then you take the Utd job from 2016 every single time. For a start it’s a massive club with a winning mentality and more importantly for him, it’s a club that will (and have) throw huge amounts of money at trying to change that situation.

Yeah sure Spurs have maybe a better core group of players, but it appears that 2-3 of those players want out anyway and mostly down to limitations around their contract. I struggle to see how Mourinho changes that.

Let’s not forget that JM has spent huge amounts of money, more than any other manager at £1billion on transfers. So bearing that in mind, you join the the bigger club who spend the most money. He did that and got sacked.

I know it’s not the answer you want, but he would make that same decision every single time. You also know this.

37 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

It’s not a black and white answer to the question. It really depends on what your managerial style is.

So why do you think JM is on a declining path?  And managers don't have a transfer style.  They are given a transfer budget.  That depends on how good they are, not their "style".

38 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Let’s not forget that JM has spent huge amounts of money, more than any other manager at £1billion on transfers. So bearing that in mind, you join the the bigger club who spend the most money. He did that and got sacked.

There is a correlation cause problem with this.  JM since 2004 has always been a star manager.  He has always been hired by clubs that want to spend the last 100m of a rebuild project and start winning stuff.  He has been given money to spend because he is a star.  It is wrong to say he has only succeeded because he has been given mega-millions.  It's like saying Lewis Hamilton would be rubbish in a lesser F1 car.  He'd still be outperforming expectations for the car.

46 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I know it’s not the answer you want, but he would make that same decision every single time. You also know this.

So why did he choose the smaller club with less money,  Chelsea in 2013, and not Man U?  

35 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So why do you think JM is on a declining path?  And managers don't have a transfer style.  They are given a transfer budget.  That depends on how good they are, not their "style".

There is a correlation cause problem with this.  JM since 2004 has always been a star manager.  He has always been hired by clubs that want to spend the last 100m of a rebuild project and start winning stuff.  He has been given money to spend because he is a star.  It is wrong to say he has only succeeded because he has been given mega-millions.  It's like saying Lewis Hamilton would be rubbish in a lesser F1 car.  He'd still be outperforming expectations for the car.

So why did he choose the smaller club with less money,  Chelsea in 2013, and not Man U?  

I'm really not sure where you are going in this line of defence.

Its not me saying JM is on a declining path, its football itself telling him this. You seem to be fighting with me on this, but as I said, Juve and Bayern never even looked at him. He was out of work and would have not cost any compensation, yet he has ended up at Spurs. Bayern still have no manager now, but they have given him a wide berth (Something I told you last week that I fully expected them too).

I never said managers have a transfer style either. I said managerial style.....again you have gone down your own road to just defend Mourinho.

Again, I never said he only succeeded as a manager because of money. I just pointed out that he has spent a huge amount, which you are right to say, that's partly because massive clubs want him due to how he has won trophies. All valid points, but he still has spent more money than any other manager. Another important factor why he would always chose Utd over Spurs.

As for your final point, I am not aware Man Utd offered him the job in 2013. He don't really have a decision to make if he not offered it, plus their was obviously an emotional attraction to Chelsea in 2013.

You are letting your default position of stoic defender of Mourinho cloud what I am actually saying. I have not really been critical of him in this discussion. I have just pointed out that he has spent shed loads of money and he is at Spurs because his stock is as low as it has been since around 2003. Simply all true!. Spurs are a big club, but they are not on the level of clubs he would expect to be at or has been at since 2004.