• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

6 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I wonder if that is the same girlfriend he was charged with assaulting some years back? Or maybe she is the girlfriend he cheated on numerous times, including once with a prostitute?

Have no idea why any newspaper would have a bad word to say about such an innocent lad.

I'm not saying what you think is wrong here , but cast your mind back to the articles written about John Terry and how true they turned out to be .

Sterling may well be the patron Saint of Chavs , however he was condemned by the media , who are the real villains of the piece , purely because he was a young rich  , but more importantly Black person .

That can never be right.

• Like 2

Jasonb   

I never before knew about the assault, though when I heard about the Kalashnikov tattoo started thinking something was wrong.

I'm not keen on tattoos and recall his defensive story about his relative being shot, think it was his father.

If he wants to make a message about gun crime he could have had pistol in a road sign with a red cross over it, having instead seen a large Kalashnikov assault rifle tattooed on his leg think this was his personal statement and nothing to do with a relative.

So what do we have a young person of foreign ancestry wearing a symbol boldly on his leg of a weapon not used in the UK yet used normally by forces fighting the West such as ISIS.

This could be a naive mistake, it could be showing brotherhood with militant Islam or could be he just wants to appear the tough guy in clubs. I suspect he is confused and apart from being talented on the pitch and dance floor is not very worldly and also impressionable which means he is likely to make a lot of mistakes.

In other words manna from heaven for the Media. 

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not saying what you think is wrong here , but cast your mind back to the articles written about John Terry and how true they turned out to be .

Sterling may well be the patron Saint of Chavs , however he was condemned by the media , who are the real villains of the piece , purely because he was a young rich  , but more importantly Black person .

That can never be right.

IMO neither JT or RS were randomly targeted for being Chelsea captain or leaving Liverpool. Both were, as you say, targeted for being young and rich because that is celebrity culture that sells stories. Both were the guilty until proven innocent after they were in the public eye, the media are certainly villains there. The racial undertones in the difference of reporting on two players, one being Sterling, buying their mum houses were disgusting and disturbing. I would never in any way condone that treatment.

Not a popular place to say it but JT came to the media's attention because of the airport incident (fined for it) assault on night out with Jody (charged with it) peeing in a pint glass (CCTV doing it) all of those things appear to have actually happened and weren't rumour. Similarly Sterling was picked up by the media for assault on his girlfriend, filming himself taking hippy crack etc, again evidenced incidents. What annoys me about him is he acts the saint, trying to sweep these things under the carpet as being randomly targeted, but there are plenty of other rich, black players who don't get the same treatment. He and JT ended up in the papers for acting like idiots when they were younger, not that that should excuse some of the later treatment they received.

• Like 1

JaneB   
On 11/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, The_Ghost said:

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly daft some of these footballers are. 

Thats so awkward. 

18 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

That’s no way for a gentleman to behave. I’m not that old (39), but I’d never treat a woman like that. Let alone hang around women who accept to be treated that way. 

Just appalling. Where have all the classy gents and ladies gone? 

I have to say that I wasn't necessarily just referring to Raheem Sterling when I made my comment.  Let's face it, many players (attached or otherwise) are thick as two planks, their only interests being playing football, playing on their x box (or whatever it is atm), lads' holidays, going to nightclubs, and spending their excessive wages.  Good luck to them if that's what they want, but some young women are so desperate to nab a footballer and the millionaire lifestyle that they will put up with anything and lose their self-esteem in the process. It's all so false and tacky.

That wonderful quote from Peter Crouch which I won't keep repeating still makes me laugh because it's so true.

18 hours ago, chara said:

Well me and JaneB are here  and most of the guys on the forum.!....well Jane anyway for sure!

Most of todays players have only known privilege and do not live in the same world we do although it is a high pressure job and a short shelf life and I do not begrudge them the "rewards" but don't expect old world courtesy and manners from any but a small few...many stories about really classy behaviour from some but of course the media doesn't want run of the mill nicety just the sensational or salacious.

Thank you Chara ;-)

I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here. Raheem Sterling may have muslim brotherhood sympathies because of a kalashnikov tattoo on his leg? Condemning him for dancing at his own private party with his girlfriend, and quoting the daily f*****g mail while doing so? What on earth are you people smoking?

Be honest, you lot don't like Raheem because he's an outspoken, flamboyant black lad. You prefer your black folks to be like Kantes and Essiens, stereotypical happy humble smiling folk who know their place and the 'right' way to act. Any form of bravado or gregariousness from someone with a 'funny tinge' and you get knickers in a twist.

Article in the Telegraph saying that some American is keen on buying us. Hope that is not true, as apart from Henry virtually all US owners are awful. 

Stim   
1 hour ago, Tammy's right foot said:

I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here. Raheem Sterling may have muslim brotherhood sympathies because of a kalashnikov tattoo on his leg? Condemning him for dancing at his own private party with his girlfriend, and quoting the daily f*****g mail while doing so? What on earth are you people smoking?

The whole point of the article was he was dancing with not his girlfriend. The gun comment was a bit weird though.

Be honest, you lot don't like Raheem because he's an outspoken, flamboyant black lad. You prefer your black folks to be like Kantes and Essiens, stereotypical happy humble smiling folk who know their place and the 'right' way to act. Any form of bravado or gregariousness from someone with a 'funny tinge' and you get knickers in a twist.

At the end of the day every criticism of Sterling gets stopped dead by a comment like this.

37 minutes ago, Stim said:

At the end of the day every criticism of Sterling gets stopped dead by a comment like this.

Yeah because what I said is true. You know well that most criticisms of Sterling don't go beyond "he's acting in a way I'm not personally comfortable with, therefore he is a terrible person!'

Tell me, what obligation does Raheem Sterling have to you? Why is what he does at his own party at his own home a concern of yours? Oi Raheem go easy with the parties, "Stim" from CFCnet forums has his puritan sensibilities offended by your dancing!

JT f****d his teamates wife, while married to Tony. Bet you didn't have the same level of righteous indignation then did you?

Edited by Tammy's right foot

chara   

I very much respect your point of view and agree in principle but there is the hiding behind the race card tinge here.

Many years ago I interviewed a young black lad for a job..he didn't make the cut and angrily told me that "You didn't give me the job because I'm black"..my reply an echo of my reply earlier to a white lad.."I didn't give you the job because you can't read and write properly".... not all observations are racially motivated.

I read the Sterling article as a young footballer being silly and being plastered publically by a sensation seeking media not as any "black" individual....

I spent a long time being the only white face in the Caribbean at my place of work...I mean years not months......and long ago stopped dividing by race colour or gender..and from my contacts on here I tend to think most here feel the same. A D***H*** is a D***H*** regardless of any social or birth identity.

Again I respect and applaud your stand here but please give us some credit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tammy's right foot said:

This is a very good point.   The same point I used to make when trying to explain why Drogba and Malouda got so much slower acceptance from people like me than Essien or Maka.  

49 minutes ago, Tammy's right foot said:

JT f****d his teamates wife, while married to Tony. Bet you didn't have the same level of righteous indignation then did you?

But this is out of order - random gossip denied by the woman involved.  More over we do know that fans of all stripes from other clubs certainly did have a go very noisily.  If you think Sterling has been given a raw deal you haven't thought much about JT.  I'm pretty sure most City fans aren't attacking Sterling right now.

Edited by Droy was my hero