• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But this is out of order - random gossip denied by the woman involved.  More over we do know that fans of all stripes from other clubs certainly did have a go very noisily.  If you think Sterling has been given a raw deal you haven't thought much about JT.  I'm pretty sure most City fans aren't attacking Sterling right now.

Wasn't having a go at JT, just pointing out the double standards of sticking by someone who (allegedly) committed adultery while condemning someone else for dancing with a woman in the presence of his girlfriend. Tbh I didn't follow the JT / Bridge saga very closely because I don't really care what my football heroes do in their private lives and neither do I hold them up to any moral standard that I may have personally. All I remember is Bridge certainly believed the allegations and that whole handshake debacle

55 minutes ago, chara said:

Again I respect and applaud your stand here but please give us some credit.

Mate there is no you and us. I'm not black, just someone who has been around one too many ar*****s complaining about 'political correctness gone mad' because they feel muzzled whenever someone points out their double standards.

2 minutes ago, Tammy's right foot said:

Wasn't having a go at JT, just pointing out the double standards of sticking by someone who (allegedly) committed adultery while condemning someone else for dancing with a woman in the presence of his girlfriend. Tbh I didn't follow the JT / Bridge saga very closely because I don't really care what my football heroes do in their private lives and neither do I hold them up to any moral standard that I may have personally. All I remember is Bridge certainly believed the allegations and that whole handshake debacle

Well quite - so you simply accepted the general press narrative that he did it.  Outside most (and not all) Chelsea fans, JT is invariably thought of as a racist cuckolder of his team-mate Bridge  (actually ex-girlfriend/mother of child, but never wife).
By pointing out a white guy - Captain of England - as being untouched by fan prejudice when he actually was very touched, kinda defeats your point.  Which as I tried to say is a pity - the culture clash point is a good one.

1 hour ago, Tammy's right foot said:

Yeah because what I said is true. You know well that most criticisms of Sterling don't go beyond "he's acting in a way I'm not personally comfortable with, therefore he is a terrible person!'

Tell me, what obligation does Raheem Sterling have to you? Why is what he does at his own party at his own home a concern of yours? Oi Raheem go easy with the parties, "Stim" from CFCnet forums has his puritan sensibilities offended by your dancing!

JT f****d his teamates wife, while married to Tony. Bet you didn't have the same level of righteous indignation then did you?

Have you been to Britain? Sneering down your nose at what other people do in their own/private time is a national pastime. Therefore, I agree with you on your point about Sterling can do as he pleases and has no obligations to anyone. For me, what people do in their own time is completely up to them as long as it does not involve any sort of abuse. I have personally never understood why people want to know what other people are doing and think that they can pass judgement on them. For me, I find celebrity culture/social media etc as completely facile and narcissistic, which in turns fuels peoples sense of self importance.

However, I think you're conflating two issues here. I appriciate that racism is still unfortunately a big issue today but in this instance I do not think it has been committed but instead what has rather been displayed is a typical British social trait. Me, I do not take offence as I appriciate that everyone is entitled to their own opinions so I am not lambasting those in question, rather just saying that I do not understand it either and do not do it. 

As for JT, a couple of points. 1) It was Bridge's ex-gf not wife. 2) The lady in question still denies it to this day and there is still no collaborating evidence other than hearsay. 3) The JT/WB/VP triangle is another example of the British obession with passing judgement on people. The same as what is now happening with Sterling. 

Edited by King Kante
  • Like 1

chara   
19 minutes ago, Tammy's right foot said:

Mate there is no you and us. I'm not black, just someone who has been around one too many ar*****s complaining about 'political correctness gone mad' because they feel muzzled whenever someone points out their double standards.

Sorry didn't mean "them and us" but us as the regulars and not so regulars on the forum. My respect for your comments was not in any way related to any awareness or thoughts of colour etc.....long long past that thanks to the opportunity to live in a different community from the one I grew up in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tammy's right foot said:

I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here. Raheem Sterling may have muslim brotherhood sympathies because of a kalashnikov tattoo on his leg? Condemning him for dancing at his own private party with his girlfriend, and quoting the daily f*****g mail while doing so? What on earth are you people smoking?

Be honest, you lot don't like Raheem because he's an outspoken, flamboyant black lad. You prefer your black folks to be like Kantes and Essiens, stereotypical happy humble smiling folk who know their place and the 'right' way to act. Any form of bravado or gregariousness from someone with a 'funny tinge' and you get knickers in a twist.

Ridiculous comment. I didn’t single out Sterling, I mentioned some of these footballers. Not black footballers, not Sterling. Footballers of all ethnic origins are acting like utter wankers. Sterling happens to be one of them. 

Has nothing to do with the colour of his skin. 

• Like 1

Ham   
4 hours ago, Tammy's right foot said:

I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here. Raheem Sterling may have muslim brotherhood sympathies because of a kalashnikov tattoo on his leg? Condemning him for dancing at his own private party with his girlfriend, and quoting the daily f*****g mail while doing so? What on earth are you people smoking?

Be honest, you lot don't like Raheem because he's an outspoken, flamboyant black lad. You prefer your black folks to be like Kantes and Essiens, stereotypical happy humble smiling folk who know their place and the 'right' way to act. Any form of bravado or gregariousness from someone with a 'funny tinge' and you get knickers in a twist.

The gun/ISIS comment aside, which was odd, Sterling's behaviour is highlighted because the media have spent the past year demanding that we respect him. 

They've painted him as a living saint because he tarred the entire media as racists. The only simile I can think of is the Sainted city of Liverpool post Sun headline. 

I'm not buying either.

On the subject of the video, Sterling is simulating sex on the dancefloor in front of a crowd with someone who isn't his current girlfriend.  She then clocks this and shoves the receiver out of the way of the giver in anger. Not in keeping with the behaviour of soon to be Raheem Sterling MBE. 

Still waiting for Sterling and Ian Wright to condemn Man City fans. The latter tarred all white Chelsea fans. 

Tick tock. 

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

...Sterling's behaviour is highlighted because the media have spent the past year demanding that we respect him. 

Not quite.  There has been 2 sets of views on Sterling, for and against.  Essentially the debate we have just had has also played out in the media. There were people happy to have a go at Sterling and other black players.  (Ashley Cole got the same, and winning a big libel case after a truly shameful juxtaposition of headline and photo did not help his cause - just this pocket).

It would be wrong to say that the media is for or against Sterling - there is a lot of both.

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

Still waiting for Sterling and Ian Wright to condemn Man City fans. The latter tarred all white Chelsea fans. 

Standards for current 25 yo footballers and 56 yo media experts are quite different imo.  By all means have a pop at Wright.  He is the MBE, don't think Sterling is getting one, ever.  

Ham   
Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Not quite.  There has been 2 sets of views on Sterling, for and against.  Essentially the debate we have just had has also played out in the media. There were people happy to have a go at Sterling and other black players.  (Ashley Cole got the same, and winning a big libel case after a truly shameful juxtaposition of headline and photo did not help his cause - just this pocket).

It would be wrong to say that the media is for or against Sterling - there is a lot of both.

Standards for current 25 yo footballers and 56 yo media experts are quite different imo.  By all means have a pop at Wright.  He is the MBE, don't think Sterling is getting one, ever.  

On the first and second paragraphs, I haven't heard a negative media view on him for 12 months or more. It's like North Korea.

On the last paragraph, mark my words, he'll get an MBE. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

On the first and second paragraphs, I haven't heard a negative media view on him for 12 months or more. It's like North Korea.

On the last paragraph, mark my words, he'll get an MBE. 

That is how it works though - there hadn't previously been a positive word on him since he dared to leave Liverpool.
I really don't think he will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_personalities_with_British_honours
17 football personalities with MBE or above in last 4 years.
6 of them are women (though I am all for Sian Massey-Ellis getting one of them).
7 are 40+ including a few managers but mostly ex-managers like Kenny Dalgliesh or the old but good like Denis Law (Charity) or Eric Harrison (coach)
The 4 current or very recent football males are:
Harry Kane (England Captain)
Jermaine Defoe (Charity + football)
Steven Davis (117 NI caps)
Gareth McAuley (80 NI caps)

4 actual players in 4 years, 2 English.  Odds on Sterling are pretty long.

Saint Ferdy hasn't got one and he has incredible backing behind the scenes.