• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

We'd ship a few in and they'd call for Mickey.  We'd get a clean sheet or two and suddenly we needed someone who could play the ball.  Probably one of the dozens of England U21s we used to have in those days on YTS pay.

Not how I remember it at all. He was in and out a lot, but out because we were losing with him, and in because we were losing without him. Limited as a defender, but 100% committed and a leader because of that. Occasionally calamitious. Very Big. Beard.

I remember our promotion season under Eddie Mac, who picked a team of youngsters plus Bonetti and David Hay. Ron Harris, Charlie Cooke, John Dempsey, Bill Garner and Droy were still at the club but Eddie Mac put his faith in the youth. Steve Wicks was first choice centre half and had a fantastic season, but my memory is that we tended to lose on the rare occasions Droy had to step in when Wicks was injured.

Droy played quite a lot after we got promoted and seemed a much better player, and there was even paper talk about an England call up. Blanchflower then picked Nutton and Sitton at CB and we went down.

Droy was a key player for the next few years in Div 2 and played his heart out, and really earned his status as a cult hero. But again, he was out of the team in the promotion season under John Neal - I don't think he played once.

I have great memories of him. Not just a giant, but a true hard man and a leader. He was a better player than people think. For me, his finest hours were the game on the plastic pitch at QPR, when his sliding tackles ripped the skin off his thighs and left his shorts covered in blood. And then the epic FA cup win over Liverpool when he had Kenny Dalglish in his pocket and - like the whole team - played out of his skin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chara   
3 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I remember our promotion season under Eddie Mac, who picked a team of youngsters plus Bonetti and David Hay. Ron Harris, Charlie Cooke, John Dempsey, Bill Garner and Droy were still at the club but Eddie Mac put his faith in the youth. Steve Wicks was first choice centre half and had a fantastic season, but my memory is that we tended to lose on the rare occasions Droy had to step in when Wicks was injured.

Droy played quite a lot after we got promoted and seemed a much better player, and there was even paper talk about an England call up. Blanchflower then picked Nutton and Sitton at CB and we went down.

Droy was a key player for the next few years in Div 2 and played his heart out, and really earned his status as a cult hero. But again, he was out of the team in the promotion season under John Neal - I don't think he played once.

I have great memories of him. Not just a giant, but a true hard man and a leader. He was a better player than people think. For me, his finest hours were the game on the plastic pitch at QPR, when his sliding tackles ripped the skin off his thighs and left his shorts covered in blood. And then the epic FA cup win over Liverpool when he had Kenny Dalglish in his pocket and - like the whole team - played out of his skin.

When I lived in Hanwell I would occasionally go down to watch Brentford..can't remember the opposition but Willie Morgan was playing for them..Mickey took out a player//might have been Morgan // with a waist high tackle that was a wonder (!) to see...the game down there in the lower divisions was not one for the fainthearted player or spectator!

All the time I have followed Chelsea the 110% players have always been supported and appreciated..the game has changed I know but we do not see too many of that type at SB of late....

26 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Interesting piece by Gabriel Marcotti on our progress this season:

“Chelsea's youth movement is ahead of schedule but how many of this team have a future in blue?”

https://global.espn.com/football/blog-marcottis-musings/story/4039564/chelseas-youth-movement-is-ahead-of-schedule-but-how-many-of-this-team-have-a-future-in-blue

Very good.  The gap between xg and actual goals for and against and points is starting to mean something, though it remains something intangible.
I think he gets at part of the truth.  He talks about inexperience and lack of leadership.  I called it game management the other day.  

Mind you could equally talk about City underperforming, and some staggering outperformance by Liverpool.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Very good.  The gap between xg and actual goals for and against and points is starting to mean something, though it remains something intangible.
I think he gets at part of the truth.  He talks about inexperience and lack of leadership.  I called it game management the other day.  

Mind you could equally talk about City underperforming, and some staggering outperformance by Liverpool.

Funny actually because Liverpool's results are so much more impressive than their performances. 

Barely scraping wins with long ball tactics. 

16 minutes ago, Ham said:

Funny actually because Liverpool's results are so much more impressive than their performances. 

Barely scraping wins with long ball tactics. 

Yeah - that is what I meant.  Scored 6 more than xG, conceded 7 less than xA, and got a staggering 20 more points than xPts.
It is like the TV companies are playing some horrendous joke on all of us.

(And it makes you wonder if Costa the Blue is not nearly as mad as we think!!)

Ham   
19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yeah - that is what I meant.  Scored 6 more than xG, conceded 7 less than xA, and got a staggering 20 more points than xPts.
It is like the TV companies are playing some horrendous joke on all of us.

(And it makes you wonder if Costa the Blue is not nearly as mad as we think!!)

😆👍

8 hours ago, Stim said:

or xg is a bunch of inaccurate bollocks

IMO it isn't.  It is a simple tool for counting chances. It shouldn't be extrapolated from that to blame specific keepers, defenders or finishing.  And it certainly has its blind spots - some kinds of chances that get over rated or under rated.    xPts is probably pushing it a bit far too.

But as Marcotti points out, there is almost certainly something more than just creating chances in winning games.  For want of a better word I call it game management.
And some teams have it, some don't.
At the very least xG is a tool for highlighting that.