• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

chara   
26 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Oh no ! One of my first Chelsea heroes ,  when I played in goal for school , I was always "the Cat"  in my mind . Thanks for everything Peter , RIP .

My regard for "The Cat" has been well recorded here over the years and it is with real sadness that I try to very briefly pay my respects here.

In the day my head was with Banksie but my heart was ever with Peter...a joy to watch and "The Cat" was absolutely a spot on name for his style and performance.

Only yesterday I was regaling Mrs C for the umpteenth time with the recounting of the Leeds CF and replay.."Bonetti playing on one leg after being crocked by Leeds"....

I wanted to be like the Cat and tried to imitate his style but soon realised that I couldn't so followed my own style..

So many memories...

Rest easy Peter and THANK YOU.

• Thanks 2

Leo91   

Born too late to appreciate but proper Chels. Thanks for being one of us Peter. Never forgotten, always admired. 

Can't believe people still think this season will be completed..

all leagues should agree that if football hasn't started again by June 30 (it won't), then all leagues should be voided.

I'm sure that some clubs will go out of business before that date, so for arguments sake, what happens if 3 or 4 clubs in the same division aren't around by then?

you can't just award Liverpool the title and say the teams in 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th go into Europe

Or that the teams in the bottom 3 places are relegated, scrape the season and try to start the new season in August (although this is doubtful).

open the transfer window on July 1st and close it when everyone agrees that it is safe to start the new season.

Have no European games for one season and scrap the international friendlies, they can come at the end of the season before the euros.

it may not suit everyone (sorry Liverpool), but it's the only fair way

22 minutes ago, Never happy said:

Do they?  I think it is more a case of no decision needs to be made in a hurry, and football will follow Government edicts, not try to lead them.

23 minutes ago, Never happy said:

I'm sure that some clubs will go out of business before that date, so for arguments sake, what happens if 3 or 4 clubs in the same division aren't around by then?

...Have no European games for one season and scrap the international friendlies, they can come at the end of the season before the euros.

Interesting points.  In the past bankrupt clubs have been given the chance to reform and play the next season, though often after a relegation.

On international and European games, I would imagine there will be a lot of logistic and travel issues whatever happens.  Probably best to stick to domestic football everywhere through to summer 2021.  Not thought about that before - Good point.

On 12/04/2020 at 3:34 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Oh no ! One of my first Chelsea heroes ,  when I played in goal for school , I was always "the Cat"  in my mind . Thanks for everything Peter , RIP .

Me too. I sadly lacked a skill set to be any good as an out field player but I really enjoyed being in goal at school and college . Bonneti was the man to emulate. In that era when Chelsea went a bit shite he shone like beacon. Somewhere in my loft I have my first school Bonneti green jersey and the little thin green gloves. I also have a framed photo taken with him about 10 years ago which is precious to me. Why do people like that have die?

On 13/04/2020 at 0:37 PM, Never happy said:

all leagues should agree that if football hasn't started again by June 30 (it won't), then all leagues should be voided.

you can't just award Liverpool the title and say the teams in 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th go into Europe

Or that the teams in the bottom 3 places are relegated, scrape the season and try to start the new season in August (although this is doubtful).

open the transfer window on July 1st and close it when everyone agrees that it is safe to start the new season.

Have no European games for one season and scrap the international friendlies, they can come at the end of the season before the euros.

it may not suit everyone (sorry Liverpool), but it's the only fair way

I personally think they should finish out this season however long it takes. 

Then reduce the number games for next season if the schedule becomes a problem. For example change the home and away formats in the leagues and European games, to single games. That will save a huge amount of time in the schedule. 

The Cups can remain untouched since enough time will be saved from the above, but if they must suspend one then the League Cup makes more sense of course. FA Cup should definitely be played and scrap replays obviously. 

59 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I personally think they should finish out this season however long it takes. 

It's the 'however long' bit I can't get on board with. It really could be a long, long time. As in the coronavirus thread, some experts are suggesting mass-attended events are off for the best part of 18 months to 2 years. At a certain point 'this' season's integrity is just too severely compromised.

I don't think the clubs and PL should be setting markers down of their own accord, and they are right imo to wait for broader government steer. I do hope though that they have had at least tentative conversations about when enough will be enough.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

It's the 'however long' bit I can't get on board with. It really could be a long, long time. As in the coronavirus thread, some experts are suggesting mass-attended events are off for the best part of 18 months to 2 years. At a certain point 'this' season's integrity is just too severely compromised.

Yes, that sounds right.  It is going to be corporate hospitality only at extremely high prices only for next season.
The idea that we are going from 6 feet apart to sitting next to strangers for 90 mins is not going to happen.

I'm wondering how that is going to affect sports.  I can imagine Golf being pretty much unaffected, likewise some 1:1 duels like tennis.  But football on telly with no audience present doesn't sound nearly as entertaining as before  to me.

Here's a surprise!

bbc sport asking ex players what they think should happen to this season.

all ex Liverpool players, want the season played no matter how long it takes or coming up with ridiculous ideas, like taking an average points per game, just to get pool over the finish line.

Chris Sutton is basically the only one to say void the season.

you can't just resume the season NO LONG HOW LONG IT TAKES OR WHEN IT STARTS.

a time frame must be put in place, to say reduce next season like someone said, is not going to happen, the TVs company's won't stand for that!

also no one on here hasn't commented about Kane and Son will now be able to play the remaining games of the season for Tottenham, or Rashford for United.

all of those players would NOT have played again this season according to their managers and that makes them stronger and will almost certainly means they will finish above us.

• Thanks 1

Options are play it out or void. Anything else is just plain ridiculous. As for how long you can go on before it has to be voided is the real question. My opinion is that it should be 30 June as after that date too many contracts are up in the air and the idea that you can force players or clubs to sign extensions has absolutely no legal leg to stand on. For instance, what happens if Willian is forced to sign a extension to play the last few games then blows out his ACL? His barristers would be rubbing their hands with glee whilst his career would essentially be over.

Edited by King Kante