• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

It’s a complete nonsense. Gary Neville is suggesting they fly everyone abroad to somewhere where they have fewer cases to finish it! Just consider that idea for a moment. The EPL desperately trying to cobble something together, at literally any cost, simply because of their TV deal. There is absolutely no appetite for it and it’s a stupid and dangerous suggestion. Cancel now.

Just void it,

only Liverpool supporters and the media want it done...

Rudiger obviously doesn't understand how much Liverpool are hated

Edited by Never happy

9 hours ago, Jonny_CFC said:

Really? Why?

Awful club, awful fan base (especially in the south of England) and awful media bias towards them.

Then add the VAR bias to that.

Nothing to like or feel any empathy towards for me.

Still feel vaguely sorry for them - after 30 years, they finally have a fighting chance only for covid to blow it. Doesn't stop me bursting out laughing every time I see my scouse mate, though. Don't confuse my natural decency (I am a Chelsea supporter, after all) with my deep, deep loathing of Dippers, Jonny: I feel sorry for sheep, pigs and cows having to die so I can eat 'em, but I still love a good bit of meat, whether it be mutton stew, coddle or a nice juicy steak. 

1 hour ago, blue moon said:

Still feel vaguely sorry for them - after 30 years, they finally have a fighting chance only for covid to blow it. Doesn't stop me bursting out laughing every time I see my scouse mate, though. Don't confuse my natural decency (I am a Chelsea supporter, after all) with my deep, deep loathing of Dippers, Jonny: I feel sorry for sheep, pigs and cows having to die so I can eat 'em, but I still love a good bit of meat, whether it be mutton stew, coddle or a nice juicy steak. 

Lol fair enough, each to their own.

I work with a couple of particularly unbearable dipper fans, just the thought of them winning anything makes me shudder!!

chara   
1 hour ago, blue moon said:

Oh BM......I am almost bursting to add something to your list grub...BUT..having conceded a point I'm not going to in cur any more wrath!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I think it's an outrageous suggestion. It will not finish the PL season; it will tack an altogether different competition onto it. If you have to resort to such a significant change to the format (and this is, decades of evidence on home advantage really means there isn't an argument), you should really be questioning what the point is.

That's not a partisan thing. For one, we've generally been sh*te at home imo anyway! But the small details make the difference to the teams in and around the relegation spots, and it's a significant disadvantage to those who had more home games, and especially home games against direct rivals, to play. Others have those results in the bank.

Money is the only reason to go on now. There's no public health argument, and the horse has already bolted on the integrity argument. I'm not buying this 'lift the public mood' nonsense; fine, bung a load of teams in the hotels around Wembley and stick a cobbled together cup on the TV. But don't pretend that's the PL.

Clock is ticking now. Still think it's okay for the clubs to be nodding along, but really we are now only a few weeks away from a final decision having to be made. 

This is the best summary I’ve seen so far to discredit the idea of forcing an end to the season, that line in bold sums it up very nicely.

Edited by Jonny_CFC

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/03/betrayal-and-bombast-surreal-story-Terry-v-bridge-scandal

A reasonable read, if only because because it is more about the media and "story" than Terry. 

Almost surreal how disgusting and aggressive the tabloids were towards Terry, especially 2008 to 2011, and that people believed it. Bogeymen don't exist, so you'd have thought more people would have been suspicious about who was writing the stories and why. 

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

A reasonable read, if only because because it is more about the media and "story" than Terry. 

100% disagree.  True the Guardian generally writes about the media, football, international wars, politics are only the context for Guardian writers to write about other newspapers.
You get recognition that the story was untrue early on, and a big dig at the old NOTW at the end.
In between it is just one long list of quotes against John Terry - many of them joining in the false accusation.
There is even the JT Dad drugs charge without proper context. (or the comments of the judge that the NOTW hack should be prosecuted).

This is just one long troll against JT to please Chelsea haters.  
A genuine article would have asked the likes of Bellamy, either Ferdinand, Tevez or any of a hundred hacks,  how they felt in the months following, knowing for certain that they had been duped by the NOTW and repeated a false story.  

Hey - Paul Hayward might even have asked that of the author of this Guardian piece.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jan/31/john-Terry-England-captaincy

24 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

100% disagree. 

Well, yeah ... It's not the article I'd have written and doesn't go after some of the people and institutions it could have done, as hard as it could have done. But it's the only mainstream article I've ever read that acknowledges, first and straight up, that the whole thing was the making of vindictive journalists, papers and audiences.

I suppose what I liked about it was that it centres Perroncel. The way that she was treated disgusted me even beyond how Terry, and even Bridge, were. Depressing that neither the Mail or the Sun are even slightly better for that sort of thing now.

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Well, yeah ... It's not the article I'd have written and doesn't go after some of the people and institutions it could have done, as hard as it could have done. But it's the only mainstream article I've ever read that acknowledges, first and straight up, that the whole thing was the making of vindictive journalists, papers and audiences.

I suppose what I liked about it was that it centres Perroncel. The way that she was treated disgusted me even beyond how Terry, and even Bridge, were. Depressing that neither the Mail or the Sun are even slightly better for that sort of thing now.

I'm pretty sure that Perroncel told her story to the Guardian in the first place (yes here - in the media section, the section all Guardian writers would most like to work in).

Thing is that there are literally hundreds of false stories that I know about that still gain creedence in the newspapers and you probably know several hundred different stories.  The ones we don't know about must be in the thousands.  If you see a proper TV journalist invite a guest to talk about an incident without the journo directly confirming it, you can be pretty sure that there is zero evidence for it and the journo knows it would be unethical for him to confirm it.  Trump says the virus comes from Wuhan, or X says country YY invaded country ZZ but no journalist ever says directly.  The story is the allegation and therefore evidence is no longer necessary or even relevant.

I do feel sorry for Perroncel, not least because when she fronted up to face the press, the route she took was the Guardian, who frankly did a pretty lazy job of challenging assumptions.  In the end NOTW barely apologised and retracted nothing.